Review: Sonax vs. Royal Brown

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Dust2Glory, Apr 1, 2010.

1. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Just stopped by there. Picked up the gallon of Royal Brown and had to get some 3m plastic polish for my wood trim on the interior.

2. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Glad you picked some up. I tried it out yesterday and was really impressed. It worked really well .I liked that I can used it on the tires and the wheel wells. I think you will be happy with it.

3. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Just did a whole detail on a friends 98 M3 and used Brown Royal 1:1. When he came by he told me he went to a hand wash yesterday. I sprayed some on and did his rims and they appeared to be a completely different color than the other 3. Really like the results i got from it. Glad i bought the gallon.

4. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Cool I like when a product works as advertised.

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Great Vid. I use Sonax, and was blown away as to how great it performed. It does smell good too.

Thanks.

6. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Why is everyone so into Brown Royal now? I must have started a thread on Brown Royal at least a year ago and nobody paid any attention.

BR works like magic on even the most stubborn brake dust. But I've stopped using it because even at 3:1 it would make me cough so badly when using it and I noticed that if I didn't pressure wash it off the wheel barrels, there would be some brown staining/residue left over after cleaning the wheel.

7. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Sorry emile, I guess if you would have provided a video or pics more people would have been more eager to listen to you.

8. Emile

You're right mrgolf, I guess I know better now. Next time, pictures/video will be provided. I'm always on the prowl for new wheel cleaners.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Brown Royal is an extremely high-alkaline product while the Sonax is pH neutral.

9. poonamt93

poonamt93 Virgin Detailer

Brown Royal non-acid wheel cleaner is a touchless cleaner. Brown Royal will remove heavy brake dust from clearcoated alloy, aluminum, chrome and painted wheels. Brown Royal wheel cleaner will not streak or etch surfaces. This product contains a unique polymer agent that actually shines the surface as it cleans.

10. estcsts2000

estcsts2000 Virgin Detailer

Just so you know Brown Royal uses known carcinogens and is very hasrh. I got the msds from them so just be careful.

11. hoppy6698

hoppy6698 Birth of a Detailer

Didn't want to start a new thread to cover what's already been said. So, to start off, if you wanted to see my Sonax review, take a look here:
    Could this be the wheel cleaner we have all be looking for?

Sorry, couldn't find where I put it on here.

Anywho, I decided to try out Brown Royal after my recent move to Kansas City from MD, about 1200 mile road trip.

Before the trip, I just did a quick wash n clean up, wheels were already coated with Jetseal 109 a few weeks before, and I just reapplied some Megs Endurance on the tires.

Before Shot (driver side front tire):
    [​IMG]

Not too bad, so I applied Brown Royal on, diluted at 1:3, let sit for about 1 min, then brushed to loosen up material, debris. Immediate spray off and here is what was left:
    [​IMG]

Notice the smudges on the inside? I think that was from leaving on a little too long or the dilution was a little weak for the job? Either way, an EZ detail brush over once with water and it all came off.

In the end, wiped them all down after rinse with MF cloths, drying and wiping the inside barrels. Final shot (driver side rear):
    [​IMG]

I know its a rear, but all the wheels look just about the same, this one just had the best reflection coming off of the inside for the pic.

My review? Well, diluted 3:1 in a 16 oz bottle, I used the entire 16 oz to attack the wheels. May have been a bit much, my initial thought, but with the smearing left over, I think it was about right, just needs a stronger mix, maybe 2:1 for heavier road build up. Rinses away just fine, wipes up just as clean.

I will say that you need to pay attention to the winds around the area, a quick change and the smallest bit blowing into your face / eyes stings like a :yikes:. The residue just sprayed right off of the carport as well. Oh, and one other note - this will strip any sealant on the wheels as well. I wasn't prepared for a cleaning this deep, but it was a 'duh' moment for me - of course this stuff was made to shred anything left on the wheels. Weekly washings shouldn't require cleaning at this level.

After using Sonax and stretching one bottle (17 oz) across 12 tires (twice on my car, once on the Mrs.), I think the Sonax is much easier to tell what is covered and working, so it precludes overuse. With the Brown, its much harder to tell what is coming off and what isn't.

On the upside, the gallon cost about $15, plus $10 shipping, and I have only used about 4-6 oz. On price point, I still have to say the Brown Royal is a killer deal. Will I be using on a regular basis? Probably not - weekly I wash the wheels with CG CWG and seal them about once a month with Jetseal.

Hope this helps.

12. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

can you dilute royal brown?

13. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Yes you can dilute it.

14. Emile

According to Flash, dilute with water up to 8:1.