Review: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash CLEAR

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by OrngeZ, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Any soap that has a citrus base will compromise a wax finish to a point....citrus cleaners are pretty good degreasers....

I have used the citrus gloss wash with 1oz to 3 gallons of water and it seemed ok on the sealants...but add 1oz to a gallon and you will see tar specks on paint start to run black...

I use it mostly for pre detail wash now..but do use it on my truck at times when I have some real grunge on it from the truck yard...lots of diesel emissions settle on the paint from truck idling all day...

so as said its not to bad on a good sealant..but can be a little strong on a wax finish

it is a good wash also...use as directed....

Al

2. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I have some on the way guys. What ratio are you recommending in the foam gun or foam cannon???

3. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

well the citrus could be more expensive then the gloosing agent too....

4. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Pat, I have been using 2oz of CWG, 1oz of Z7 and the rest of my 32oz bottle with water for my foam lance. I have the setting on medium. I will try the same with the clear.

For the most part I use this as a pre-polishing wash.

5. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

Is this stuff still available? I really like CW&G, but the glossing and rinse agents get to be a bit of a PITA when I'm trying to do a detail prep wash. The Citrus Wash and CLEAR sounds like a much better/cheaper P21S TAW alternative than fighting with CW&G (which I've been doing for over a year).

After polishing, I do a very thorough wash with very strong CW&G to help remove any polishing oils that might conceal any holos/defects. The rinsing/glossing agents in CW&G are so strong I end up having to do either a prepsol or IPA wipedown to get them off the paint. It sounds like the CW&C would be just the ticket.

It's still not available on the web site, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has gotten any lately before I try and reach someone at CG on the phone (not always easy.)

6. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Nice review. I recently ordered CWG.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hmm, looks like I have another purchase to make. I still haven't tried my CWG but looks like I'll be having both coming my way.

It's too bad that they don't update the website. I'd rather do my order online than over the phone.

8. SuperBee364

Me too. The last few times I've tried to get someone on the phone at CG's haven't been successful, and they don't seem to return messages.

I'm just hoping that they do actually still have the product available, and that it wasn't just a temporary product. It really looks like it could be a contender for a cheaper alternative to TAW.

9. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Pretty sure its a call in only.

Agreed. And dude I didn't trade you that stuff to look at. :D

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f15/cheaper-alternatives-p21s-4436-2.html#post67499

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I know, I know! I was waiting for my Meg's Shampoo Plus to get used in my foam gun and I just used the rest of it yesterday on my car, hehe. I'll be putting some CWG in my Gilmour now.

I think I have to put in 2 oz of CWG in my foam gun with the rest being water at the C setting so I get 1/4 oz CWG per gallon of water. :shead:

11. SuperBee364

Figuring out those ratios is always a PITA, Denzil. And you do have to be fairly careful about getting it right with CW&G, cause as you know, it'll strip your LSP at higher ratios.

In my foam cannon, I use two ounces of CW&G, one ounce of Z7, and 29 ounces of water, then set the cannon for max pickup ratio. This gives great cleaning without stripping the LSP.

I'm sure it's different with the Gilmour, but this might give you a starting point?

12. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Someone with a lot of time on there hands should dedicate a thread to soap ratios via a foam gun. Either the Gilmour or foam cannon/gun that attaches to a pressure washer.

13. thesacrifice

thesacrifice Virgin Detailer

Color me interested as well. I purchased P21s TAW out of curiousity more then necessity, as I have other products such as Megs SD and APC for everything but the paint cleansing aspect of TAW. And for how much TAW costs...I simply don't use it on paint.

If I could load up CW in a pesticide sprayer and use it as Paul Dalton (I know...) does with TAW in his infamous detailing video, with great results prior to a detail I would be very happy. The cost to product ratio would be enormous since it uses such a small amount per gallon dilution.

14. razr007

razr007 Banned

Is this the cleaner paul uses on his high end cars?

15. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

Paul Dalton uses P21s TAW I think

CWC is awesome stuff, so is CWG :) get both won't regret it

16. razr007

razr007 Banned

p21s i know them good stuff what is the taw and cwc cwg sorry for the dumb questions

17. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

TAW = Total Auto Wash

CWG = Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss

CWC = Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Clear

No worries no such things as dumb questions

18. razr007

razr007 Banned

what do you think with be the best to use and can you get them in 5gal. jugs

19. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

5L for p21s stuff and 1gal for CG stuff.

For weekly wash ill go with CWG

Car prep: CWC/ TAW

20. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

So would the CWG not be the best option for a strong pre-detail wash if I am going to be polishing after washing ? I figured the glossing agents may cause some issues but to date this is the 1st time I have seen it mentioned....