Quick Detailer after Waxing

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by yiyiyi204, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Ahemm.......:poke:

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

The only issue with AW is that it sometimes leaves hazing or streaking...

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

EXACTLY what I was going to say. FK425 specifically can help with dust sticking to your freshly waxed surface. All that buffing with a MF creates static electricity on the surface, which acts like a dust magnet. a quick wipedown with FK425 would greatly reduce that "magnet" effect.

That being said, I don't like to use a QD after waxing, because I like the way a wax looks without any toppers. Of course, after a week or so, I'll use a QD after I wash, but not before.

This is just my process and thinking. Of course, YMMV.

4. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Oops, Parden me...So sorry......:shrug:

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I'm confused... what has no bearing? And did I come off as mad or something? Sorry, no coffee yet today, so I'm not running on all 8 cylinders yet :D

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

See here's where I get a little confused by certain logic here. That being that no need to use a QD right after waxing as it shouldn't be needed to amp up the shine but after the 1st wash a week later you feel the quality of the look from the quality wax has degraded significantly enough to warrant using one.:shead:

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Often - but not always - I'll use a QD as a tool for easing the removal of freshly-applied wax. The last two vehicles I've done were with Werkstat AJT as my LSP, which is brainlessly easy to use and buff off. In those cases, I didn't bother with the QD.

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I always wax after a wash so I do not use a qd. Not a big fan of qd, used it a couple times after a wax sweated or when claying.

9. blucpe

blucpe Birth of a Detailer

i generally use a gloss enhancer, ie. oid, just habit. i've used aw, s&g,and fk425 also, depends what i feel like at the time, like i said it's just habit and i do like to wait until the next day to wipedown.

10. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Are you retired? I wish I had the time/lifestyle to be able to do that.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No, just something that gives me a piece of mind. I have always been this way after a wash.
    Plus it helps having a garage, after the wash if there isn't time to wax, I can always do it the next day. Years ago when I didn't have a garage I made sure there was time for the wash, polish if needed and wax.

12. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Point taken. I shall now wait until the second wash. :)

Actually, I typically do not use a QD after waxing. When I do, my principal concern is the removal of water spots that I may have accidentally allowed to occur during the drying process. Having switched to ONR for the winter months, this is not really a concern for me at the present. Hence my bottle of UQD is just sitting on the shelf in despair with no purpose for its existence. ;)

Cheers,
    Al

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Quick Detailing (QD):
    Quick detailers are a car detailing product with limited cleaning, gloss, and protection properties. Most quick detailing sprays diminish true surface slipperiness every time they are used, this occurs because a polymer is not easily adaptable to a spray formula. To be efficient the polymer needs to be emulsified to work as a spray, most quick detail sprays create a short-lived, slippery finish by using silicone oils and water but this attracts dust and does little to increase durability.

It is important to lightly spray the towel, not the paint surface and wipe in one direction only, lifting the leading edge of your (DF Alpine™) cotton or micro fibre towel upwards with each pass. This will avoid any dust build up on the towels surface and avoid surface scratching. After each pass turn and/or refold the towel, spray and repeat on the clean surface.

MDMS report for a typical (QD) - 80 - 90 % Water, 0.5-1.5% Carnauba wax, 0.1 – 5% Silicone or Mineral oil, 0.1-2.0% 2-Butoxyethanol (a solvent) 0.1 - 5% < Isopropyl alcohol

Alternative product-
    a) Carnauba - Pinnacle Crystal Mist is a blend of super-refined, Brazilian Ivory Carnauba wax, conditioning oils, and crystalline polymers. Apply a micro-fine layer after applying Souveran Carnauba wax.
    b) Acrylic -Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield is a high gloss, acrylic sealant that mists on and buffs off with ease. It can be used on top of any polymer or acrylic paint (Klasse, Jeff Werkstatt, etc) sealant to increase shine and extend protection
    c) Polymer -Zaino Brothers Z-8 Grand Finale™ Spray Seal should be used if the polymer is Z2PRO™ as it is formulated with a specialized polymeric protection system providing enhanced optical qualities

14. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

good info.. but ime i never had issues with a qd except when applying in the sun.. and swissvax quick finish and or nano express have lasted more than a week alone in a test i did over the summer. i bet a lot of qd's suck and don't have great properties but swissvax, zymol, optimum, and cg i have had excellent results with the first two a considerable edge in looks and optimum is soooo easy to work with..but i get better looks with the other two.. cg i love the white nuba and it gave great protection as i said before but lacks in looks compared to sv and zymol.. cg's other two qd's are very good also but under all the others imo unless i you want a good qd for claying too(cg extreme synthetic qd) or you want anti static properties(cg speedwipe).. but i like fk 425 for anti static.. but it does NOTHING else so i am not going to grab any more.. only swissvax and zymol field glaze now.

15. std aja de

std aja de Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hmmm... just wanna share with you, when I apply a solvent based wax like collinite, I give them a final spray with chill distilled water. And I always find it give a nice result :D

16. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

That's good advise-

4.A good technique is to buff the wax with a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and then spritz the paintwork with very cold distilled water and wipe down, this helps to set the wax and will add that little extra gloss. Allow the solvents to vaporize (outgas) in the suns heat and then buff to a gloss.