Problem with PC 7424XP and LC CCS pads

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Buzzz, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

Today I tried my first polishing with a Porter Cable 7424XP, LC CCS 5.5" Orange pads and Poorboy's SSR 2.5

Did the right side of the car with the first pad with no problem. The pad is like new.
    Did the left side with another pad and the center of the pad colapsed, it's now really thin and the back look burned.
    Tried a third pad on the hood and it did the same thing.

What did I do wrong? Did the PC got too hot?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for helping me!

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

That is where the most heat ends up on a DA because of the spindle the backing plate screw onto, it could be due to using too much pressure or using it for long periods of time without a break which can cause heating of the spindle which transfers to the BP and then to the center of the pad.

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

What kind of backing plate did you use?

4. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

I used the same pressure for the first and second pads. Then I realised it was too much and used way less pressure on the third one with the same result.

Used the PC for 1.5h on the fisrt pad than after a 10-15min break used it again for 1.5h on the second pad. Another 10 min break and third pad.

5. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

Lake Country 5" Flexible Backing Plate (DA)

6. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

That should not happen that quickly regardless of the pressure you exert on the machine and pad. I have really hammered my orange CCS pad without remorse and it still looks like new. I would get in touch with the vender you bought them from and see if you can get an exhange since a brand new pad should not fail like that. The burn mark is pretty scary though, never it that bad.

7. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

Did you use the washer thats included with the PC??? its in the manual bag,
    Also, was your extension cable thinner than the gauge of the PC's cable?
    these can both burn out your PC

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

There is a washer attached to most of the LC DA BPs, but good point on making sure that is on there as it is suppose to help not let that much heat in. Good point on the extension cable as well.

When I used a DA I would always get the center of the pad hot and would end up getting softer than the rest, never had it it deform as much as yours but would just feel softer and warmer.

I have seen pads burn and BPs delam in the center because of heat on forums, but never personally.

9. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

Yes I used the washer. The extension is a bit bigger, it's a 16AWG and the PC is 18AWG but is was shared with a 500W halogen. This can cause overheat? It it safe to use now?

10. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

thanks agpatel!

buzz, I would have a dedicated line just for your PC
    thats what I do with mine, I never had your problem,
    hopefully someone on here can pinpoint it, dont want you
    burning anymore pads.

11. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

I have to finish the car tomorrow so I will try a dedicated extension and see what hapens.

Thanks for all the responses. Really great forum.

12. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

16 gauge I would just run a DA, if you had a 12 or 14 gauge then you could run both and have a good buffer in the amount of amps the cord could take. Try just running it on a dedicated cord and see what happens. Also keep a eye out on pressure you are using and check on the pad to see how fast it takes to heat up the center if it does. Hope that will solve some issues and you dont have another pad end up like the one in the picture.

13. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Have you marked your backing plate with permanent marker in a few spots so you can tell if the pad is actually spinning? That will help you with gauging your pressure.

14. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

Yes I did, thanks for the tip. I found that at speed 6 you have to press really hard to make it stop spinning. I was not putting that much pressure.

Is speed 6 too fast? Should i use 5?

15. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Speed 5 or 6 should be fine. The other consideration is what kind of car are you working on? If the paint is sticky it'll cause excess drag on the pad that'll cause it to heat up and collapse like that.

16. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

Did the rest of the car today with a dedicated extension and less pressure.

Used the last 5.5" pad I had for the trunk and bumpers. Used speed 5 and 6.

Then used a 6.5" orange pad for the roof at speed 6, and just before I finished this append:

[​IMG]

What can cause this?

I'm affraid of using speed 6 now.

Thanks for all the help

btw, the car is a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6

17. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

I use speed 6 with no issues and I have had my 7424 for over 4 years now. Maybe the backing plate was defective or worn out as it failed as seen in your pics. Possibly the failing backing plate caused the pad issue? Maybe try a new backing plate and see if your still having an issue.

18. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Does that BP have 4-5 ribits holding the spindle part to the yellow part? I know LC updated the BPs for heavy duty use b/c DA's where killing BPs like you have done because of the added stress and heat from DAs.

19. Buzzz

Buzzz Virgin Detailer

No I don't see that

[​IMG]

20. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Yeah those are the ones that has issues like you saw with them ripping apart, newer style ones have metal rivets to help it stay together. I would try contacting the place you got it from and see what they say.

I have used my old DA and the newer on on speed 6 with no issues. Like I have said only issue I have had is center of pad getting warm and softer in the center.