Pressure Washers: More psi or GPM?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by drew935, May 10, 2012.

1. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I'm looking to get another in a few months. Looking at the Karcher or something similiar and will get a foam cannon to attach to it.
    Does the FC need 2.0 gpm or can I use it with 1.5 gpm?

2. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

GPM is more important of the two in washing.

GREG

3. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Once you get to a certain pressure (what a typical consumer pressure washer puts outs), gpm is more important.

4. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

It depends on what you want the PW to do. If you want one that does a better job pre-rinsing, the a higher GPM will be better, but if you want thicker foam, a lower GPM and higher PSI will get you better results. That's what I've found so far anyways.

5. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

What fc are you using Joey?

6. JoeyV

The AutoGeek foam cannon with quick connect fitting on a Homelite PW which has 1700 psi and 1.3 GPM. This is what I produce as foam (1:5 mixture of Sunlight:water) :

[​IMG]

7. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

Always GPM, I recently purchased an 1800psi and returned it the next day. GPM is what I find important when rinsing off/getting most of the dust/dirt easily off.

8. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Joey it looks like a gas PW. I want to stay on the electric PW route. Interesting that you're getting that with 1.3 gpm.

9. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I use a 2 gpm gas engine power washer for all my Details. It is great at cleaning engine compartments, the insulation pad under the hood, and everywhere else, wheels, fenderwells, the gaskets around the windows that up here are always full of growing mold, etc... Its a killer on really dirty carpeted mats that are full of sand too. You would want to used a wide fan tip ( a V shape ) for our kind of work, these fan tips are adjustable too, but I like the widest possible to spread out the water so its more efficient and less potentially harmful.

I would not recommend going bigger than 2 gpm or so for strictly detailing, as the more gpm you add the higher the risk of hurting something like pinstripes, all those labels under the hood, etc.. I think you could even peel paint off a vehicle with 3 gpm holding it close to the paint...
    Dan F

10. JoeyV

It only looks like one :p It's an electric PW. I got it from Home Depot and it run me $219 + tax. Even Phil.P got one just like it. So far it's been great and I'm really happy with it. It even has an extra feature they cal "Hydro Surge" which is basically a standards hose with fan tip that's great for rinsing the bolts holes on mags and in gas doors.

11. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Lol Joey.
    Good to know Dan.

The PW I'm using right now is ok and I like it's portability but I'm borrowing it from my bro in law since he doesn't use it.
    It's a Husky 1550psi and 1.6 gpm and I can fit it in a 18gal container hehe

12. pokerfad

pokerfad Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Posted this in the other thread and thought I'd post it here as well since it does apply to both topics

I have a green works 1700 PSI electric power washer that I purchased at LOWE'S I believe it's 1.4 GPM and the cam spray foamer which I purchased from Phil. I typically use about 2 oz each of CG honeydew sno foam and CG glossworkz and fill the bottle with warm water. I did this yesterday and out of one bottle, which is I believe 12-16 oz on the cam spray, I gave 2 full foam applications to my Q5 and my A7 without refilling the bottle. I set the red dial to adjust how much it pulls form the bottle at about 75% and it works great. I can get the foam to dwell (hang) on the first foam application which I use on a dry vehicle for at least 3+ minutes or so before it begins to thini out. Not much falls of the cars at all it actually thins out more so than fall of the car. Second application, since I have rinsed off the first hangs for at least 2+ minutes. I couldn't be happier with the way this performs. I always felt as if maybe I didn't have enough PSI or flow rate to get great foam, but it just took finding the right products and right mixture. Very Very pleased.

Here is a pic of the A7 and the foam after the second application on a wet surface. this was taken about 1 and half minutes after I stopped foaming. As you can see the foam is starting to thin out, but it is hanging very well to the side panels.

View attachment 4722

Here is the link to the cam spray and you can see how small the bottle is cojmpared to the 32oz bottle on most other foam cannons.
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/Cam-Spray-Foamer-Attachment-Foam-Cannon_p_204.html