PosiTest DFT Paint Thickness gauge

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by eShine, Nov 13, 2007.

1. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I got one, I like it, I miss the probe

2. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

i have the dft combo and are excellent, if you want somehting better go for positest dft 200 which reads indivual layers (primer, paint, clearcoat).. this will be my next purchase

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

From what remember the 200 isnt used on metals? Am I wrong or did they change that? I would love something like that!

Price?

4. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

just sent them a email regarding this as im looking to purchase one. Will let you know what they say.
    they do different models ( basic, advanced) so price differs. i know advance in U.K is £1700

5. eShine

eShine Guest

The 200 does not do metals. I can tell you first hand that I would not trust the seperate layer readings. Depending how the paint was applied it may or may not read correctly. The overall thickness will be correct though. My old gauge did multiple layers and I would not trust it. I usually use the gauges to first measure total thickness, then to measure during the job to monitor how much paint is being removed and how fast.

6. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Chris, mabye we can get a list together and do a group buy on these you ship to the guys in CA and I ship to the guys in USA?

I've sold a bunch but you know how it is they are $695.

Maybe if we do $695 plus free shipping for 5 units
    695 less 5-10% for 6-10 units
    695 less 15% for 11 unites plus

Just a thought...any ideas Chris?

Lets gauge the interests. :)

7. detailersdomain

I love my unit and wont' give it up.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Hi Jayplay,

I think the gauge you are speaking of is the PosiTector 200:
    http://www.defelsko.com/p200/positector200.html

In theory it has the capability to read every layer of paint but like Chris said in order for this feature to work the paint would have to be sprayed by layers meaning one coat goes on, it's allowed to dry then sanded then another coat, alow to dry then sanded and so on. The way vehicles are painted now a days the waiting time is very minimul and the paint gauge will not be able to read the layers of paint properly.

Well Rich from Polished Blissed UK confirmed this with me as he has the same paint gauge and I've ordered the 200 paint gague me self. Can't wait to receive it. This paint gauge will do the oposite of the Postector 6000, I ordered the 6000 as well:
    http://www.defelsko.com/pt6kFR.html

Now correct me if I'm wrong but you sayd DFT 200 is that a different model? Or is it the same as the PosiTector 200? Not sure...I'm guessing it's the same..oh why do you guys pay so much for these gauges? I mean £1700 is double due to currancy? :confused: just wondering that's all.

9. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

That is like $3374 CAD or 3500USD.

10. Nica

Nica Banned

um...:confused: something like that :confused: don't know yet I haven't recieved the bill but at least I know what to expect now :thumb:

But to be honest these two gauges are one of the best gauges available in the market...there are better but if you want better then these gauges your looking at $10K and more :crasy: hahaha

11. eShine

eShine Guest

I don't know if I am ready for a Group Buy, I only have two to sell! LOL. I am hoping to do a small rview on the DFT along with the Flex this weekend.

12. detailersdomain

no worries we can get it ready no time and do a 1-2 week delivery time.

anyone anyone hehehehee

as for the flex I can't wait to hear what you think.

13. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

had a long chat today with our supplier here in uk and your correct 200 doesnt measure on metals... so bought the postest 6000 advanced as he gave me a deal i couldnt refuse and took my dft combo as part exchange... thinking about purchasing the 200 aswell but will get xmas out the way first

14. Nica

Nica Banned

Congrats on the purhcase Jayplay :applause: so um...go any pictures of the gauge?

I'd love to see it :eek: I haven't received my gauges just yet :(

15. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

will post up shortly nica

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you my friend :thumb: I don't have mine yet but I'd love to see some pictures at least :crasy:

17. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

here you go nica

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

ww the one on the left is huge . Im really curious ot hear your thoughts

19. Nica

Nica Banned

Very nice Jayplay the gauges look wicked :wicked:

So the one on the left is the 6000 right, nice and you got the probe too :thumb:

20. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

Just thought id share this info with you guys.

i have had a chat with a few other detailers here in uk that have the positest 200adv and apparently the 200 does work on metals! But a lube must be used otherwise you will get some weird readings.