Polishing Plastic Bumpers

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by BoostedMk6, Dec 23, 2010.

1. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I was wondering what the most agressive pad + polish combination you could use on a plastic bumper before causing damage. Do you guys use compounds with cutting pads safely on them?

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I'm assuming you mean a painted plastic bumper, not a bare plastic bumper, right? If the former, then you would have to go by your paint gauge and see how much clear you have to play with. This is different for every single vehicle.

3. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Correct. Lets assume that the car has a fair amount of clear.

4. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

it shouldnt be any different from polishing metal as you're still working on clear coat but just watch out for flexing of the plastic
    so orange pad with rotary + aggressive polish + burnnnnn

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Boosted MK6 -

I have cautiously used Meguiars105 and Lake Country Foamed Wool Pads on Plastic bumpers before, but it is dangerous, and if you cut through, you just bought a bumper paint job. High speeds are more dangerous on plastic painted parts.

If you are using a Random Orbital, I think the danger is minimized a little, but you still have to be very careful because plastic does not release heat as easily and quickly as metal.

I would always again, use the least aggressive method of your choice, and go up from there.

There are many people who have polished so hard that they have actually twisted the flexible paint under the buffer, and that will definitely leave a mark. :gasp:

My paint gauge doesn't measure plastics, so I have to be really careful too, and rely on my years of experience in the Auto Body business to help me as best as it can.

Good luck
    Dan F

6. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, I took an orange pad + 3M Rubbing Compund (3000) + Flex 3401 to an Infiniti G35S black bumper today and thought I screwed it up at first. Did not react like the rest of the car at all. Metal was polishing out like a dream with this combo, but that bumper finished all dull and nasty looking. Thankfully, white pad + Menz 203 to the resuce. I think I'm going to stick with 203 or maybe SIP for bumpers for the rest of this car OR dial the speed back on the Flex to max 4.5.

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Yes too much heat (pressure) and you'll have paint wrinkle.

8. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Alright so the general consensus is to keep the heat down and work at slower speeds.

I have both a Flex and PC so ill give the PC a shot with a 4" light cutting pad and P0203.

9. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I used a PC and Meg's Ultimate Compound with LC white pad with great results.