Polishing Carlos' Style

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Nica, May 12, 2008.

1. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Would you use this same technique with a PC 7424? I don't think a PC 7424 qualifies as a rotary? (Think it's a buffer?) :shrug:

Anyways, you should make some more videos, this was EXTREMELY helpful; to see the way the professionals do it!

2. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Great videos Carlos can't wait for the next batch.Well done.

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, I don't see why the same technique can't be used ont he PC. The PC is a Dual Actoin machine where the rotary is different, rotary just spins (RPM). I personaly don't know the true definition of the PC, I know it was actually meant to be used as a sander but other then that that's about it :sorry:

Glad you found the video helpfull and I've got more videos coming, just need to finalize them and load them on the forum.

Thank you, glad you found the videos helpfull and hope the next videos I load up are as usefull :peace:

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Porter Cable is a forced rotation machine. It's oscillation is the only motor driven feature. The spinning of the backing plate is simply a by-product of the oscillation.

This means you can only put so much pressure on the porter cable before it stops spinning (although it will still oscillate).

A Flex 3401 on the other hand, is a true dual action. It's oscillation and rotation are both motor driven.

5. mystickid

mystickid Virgin Detailer

AWESOME Job Carlos!

The videos are just splendid man. Love the High quality. You can really appreciate it more.

Just Fabulous stuff!

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you found the video usefull :peace:

7. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I guess I need to work my polishes more.. I think in first video, both passes on that panel were 4 minutes a piece..I just don't feel like I'm working my polish that long..

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Each vehicle will behave differently, so it's all a trial and error.

9. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

Does your surface gets really hot after 4 minutes of polishing that same small area? I can't replicate that, it gets hot as hell. I tried running with a slower rpm (as mentionned here ty) but I don't believe i've ever been able to break down the product like shown here.

Makita 9227 with a white pad + menzerna SIP

10. Nica

Nica Banned

I've replied to your PM but I'll post my response here as well.

The panels do get worm but not extremely hot to the touch, I'm not exactly sure how I'm able to work the polish for so long to be honest it could be our climate but that's how I polish...wish I could explain it some more but I honestly don't know what to say...it could be a variety of things, to the amount of polish I use, how well the foam pad is primed (I prime my pads with what ever polish I'm using, not water or QD or anything like that) the foam pad being used...well not sure if this helps but that's the best explanation I can give, I would suggest you just keep trying.

The thing is that what I do is one thing, it works for me but it may not work for everyone, nor will the climate allow others to work the polish for as long as I was able in the video. I mean in really hot countries the polish may behave differently, a good example is Zymol HD Cleanse Professional. My good friend billy is able to apply the HD Professional via rotary, no matter how many times I try I can only apply HD Professional by hand and foam applicator and I have to buff it of right away. Humidity/climate plays a huge role when it comes to detailing.

11. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

Makes sense. Maybe I should try to polish in a AC enviroment and see what that does for me :)

I live near Ottawa and it gets pretty darn humid in summers.

12. iddqd

iddqd Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Complete noob to the polishing process and I'm looking to buy my first rotary in the winter. This has cleared up a ton of misinformation that reading on the internet has done, and in high style.

If only I'd known sooner, I could have hosted the files for you (20mbit upload, about 2.3MB/s). I'm moving, though, and won't have the access to this internet anymore :(

13. SpringerDesigner

SpringerDesigner Virgin Detailer

THREARD REVIVAL. :) wish I could view wmv's on my mac. Need quictime pro.

14. bstp

bstp Birth of a Detailer

Nica I cant thank you enough for this video, and the one u did on sticky paints too.

15. imaj

imaj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

16. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

17. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

VLC player should play WMV

18. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

How ling are each video because it seems to still end quickly even with vlc

19. SDMDChris

SDMDChris Birth of a Detailer

Couldnt get either of the videos to download =(

20. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I'd also love to watch the videos but neither link works for me. Tried everything (clicking link doesnt work, right clicking and saving as also fails).