picked up the FESTOOL Shinex RAP 150

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by scheerspeed, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Addicted2Shine

Addicted2Shine Any Rag Vehicle Washer

That's AEG PE 150,a little bit more lightweight than Shinex...unfortunately it's not an very reliable machine.It's already started to overheat quickly and bog down under heavy pressure:)

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Does Festool have any forced DA solutions?

3. Addicted2Shine

DA?how about Rotex 150:D
    [​IMG]

4. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

for $525 no thanks.

5. Addicted2Shine

True,but Kevin Brown clearly said in his post at TiD that he prefer the Rotex than 3401:DWell as for myself i own 3401 along with G220 and Kestrel DAS 6 Pro,enough for me since 95% of my detailing session are done using rotary polisher.
    Back to topic,i'm buyed the Shinex because some people in DW mentioned that their brand new PE14 speed are goes up and down before picked the right speed,and also some said their machine fixed that problem automatically,while some machine are totally died after that anomaly.Interestingly there's 4 units PE14 on my hometown that being operated by 2 detailing workshop,and...all of the units does have the speed problem.I'm asking since i would like to add PE14 for detail job on my workshop and keep the Shinex for my personal use.

Regards

6. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Mine does that too I believe speeds 1>2 and I would not consider that to be a problem? Why does that concern you so much?

I remember Phil saying the unit was purposely designed to do this.

Maybe it's just me, but I never thought anything of it, at least in the negative sense.

7. Addicted2Shine

Thanks for the feedback sir.It concern me just a little:Dsince the unit price will be almost $800 when imported to Indonesia.And my friends PE14 are running perfectly(1 EU version 220V and 1 US Version 110V) and all the other 4 units that have the anomaly are 220V version.But that doesn't stopped me from buying one:D.And it got many protection circuits inside it to prevent any fatal damage:D

8. Addicted2Shine

Ah sorry missed the last line:pNo i don't have any negative sense about the PE14.But i also don't agree with things like "it's surpassing",since me and my friends had already compared Shinex and PE14 before.We are definitelty agree that Shinex has better body design especially the lower handle and better balanced than PE14.But i must admit that PE14 motor probably producing a little more torque than Shinex motor,since Flex (i think) used more lower gear ratio compared to Shinex that allow it to run with more less noise than Shinex.Both are equally the best polisher that money can buy;)
    But...i think my Hitachi are still the best polisher ever engineered,more quite than PE14 even under load,rev up very effortless,it also had the most accurate speed sensitive trigger of all rotary i've ever used:D

9. Addicted2Shine

Mission accomplished:D
    [​IMG]

10. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

11. Addicted2Shine

Both are the best rotary polisher,that's for sure:D.How should i say...Shinex are far more brutal machine,it always deliver full torque at all time even when you add a mass of pressure.The motor are sounded like it's running at higher RPM compared to PE14 (just like i said before):DAnd because of that Shinex are screaming louder than PE14.Mine are European Version,so i don't know if Festool tuned the US version to make it a smoother machine.Now for PE14,it's definitely a way more smoother machine by sound and even when working.Feels like it's equipped with cruise control to maintain the speed and VVT-i (maybe :p) to maintain the torque.If both are cars,Shinex are a car with perfectly balanced chassis and PE14 are 4WD car with super smart electronic stability programe.As for me,i'm choosing Shinex when working on very hard clear coat and PE14 when polishing an soft clear coat like Honda.PE14 are surely capable against hard clear coat,but i feel more comfortable using Shinex ability in terms of full torque delivery at all time.Can't go wrong with either one of it:D

12. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

I love my Shinex, coming from a Chicago Pneumatic which previously i thought was a perfectly balanced machine, but this is something else !

13. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

I just keep plugging away with my trusty old makita! haha! it has NEVER let me down in four years! I might get a Flex next though. Ive heard of a few people complain of the Shinex overheating. Ive not once encountered that with my makita.

14. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Did they name the Festool "Shinex" for detailers? Kind of an ironic name.

15. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I had the chance to try out the new Dewalt, it felt like a great machine! Light, easy to maneuver, quiet, and doesn't overheat. It also doesn't bog down when you apply pressure, which I thought was impressive. $250 seems like a great price, I might be able to get it cheaper as well.

16. Addicted2Shine

Shinex tends to heated up every first time you're using it.After that it never even get hot enough to be categorized as warm...well that's my own experience with it and so far it's still my favorite machine:)

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I know this is an old thread but I figure I might as well update it than make a new thread on the same thing. I am also looking into replacing my Makita and PCXP with a Festool Shinex of course I need to sell both of those first. My only problem is trying to find some where I can get the M14 backing plates either 3M Perfect it III or Scholl Concepts Abrafix 125mm backing plates. I have a brand new never used 5" 3M Perfect it III backing plate but is a 3/8" so its not compatible to use with the Shinex. I also have a 3" uber backing plate and it too is not compatible because of the 3/8" thread, which I will have to get rid of along with the PC and Makita.

I have heard from a few detailers that the Festool backing plate quite firm and doesn't conform well to curved surfaces unless one is using a blue or black pad, so most tend to replace it with either the 3M or Scholl. I know of places where to get them in the UK, but of course that means shipping is going to be expensive and take a while to get to the US. I want to get it but the backing plate issue is holding me back at the moment. I just dont understand why they would make the U.S. version of the Shinex with a M14 thread.

If you could Dom would you chime back in here and let me know if you ever replaced the backing plate and if so who you purchased it from, along with an update on how the Shinex has been working for you.

18. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Why are you getting rid of your Makita?

How many hours are on it?

19. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

Hey,

I ended up getting backing plates from Swissvax. They don't normally sell them (that I'm aware of) and georg personally brought them for me from their detailing center in Switzerland, where they only use Festools. I got both a 5" and 3" backing plate.

It's a pretty thin foam plate, about 1/3 the thickness of the 3M backing plate.

When I first got the Festool, It overheated a couple times on me, however after about 10 hours of polishing on the machine it never had another problem and doesn't even get relatively warm when using it. I guess maybe it had to Break-In?

Overall it's a great machine, and I haven't picked up my makita since. BTW, I'm trying to sell it if anyone is interested...

20. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks for the Update Dom