Photo Hosting

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Supertuner, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

So, I was just wondering what you guys use to host your photos, I Know some of you have your own servers, but just wanted to see what some of the poular ones out there and some pros and cons you've come across. i.e(flickr, photobucket, picasa...)

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

photobucket.

3. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

just dont do facebook, did u know that by uploading photos to facebook. immediately facebook owns ownership of your photos?

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

What if someone else uploads photos that I've taken?

5. kyoshiro

same deal, if its on their server uploaded, its theirs. Its in their terms of agreements.

6. P1et

If Facebook content was not public, the site will respect the member's chosen privacy settings. In other words, if your profile and the photos you have uploaded to it are only accessible to people on your friends list, Facebook says it does not have the right to show those photos to anyone outside your friends list.

7. kyoshiro

yeah thats privacy but not the copyright. Unless they recently changed it which I highly doubt, I should be able to dig out the clause for you. gimme a few

8. P1et

Something does not make sense. If a famous photographer has his copyrighted picture hosted on his personal server, I download it and upload it to Facebook, how does Facebook now own it?

I think this is more about Facebook covering their own ass, as opposed to wanting to sell those pictures or use them for their own evil etc. etc.

9. kyoshiro

mmm ok they either removed the clause after lots of complaints or they reworded it in such a way that I can no longer find it in there or they put it somewhere.

"By posting user content to any part of the site, you automatically grant … an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide licence … to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such user content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise. … Facebook does not assert any ownership over your user content."

was the clause.

Well ok its not losing your copyright but they can use it freely without paying you any royalties etc so you dont lose your photo but you dont gain from any money made from the photo as you have granted them free use by uploading.

It was still around when I was studying agreements for a higher level computer and society course.

Nonetheless, all these hosts have lil things in their agreements that we should all look at else you may be in a bad position in the future claiming work. This is more important for artists and photographers more than anything. I highly doubt people will make a living off of our detailing photos...

10. kyoshiro

in that case, copyright infringement by the uploader and facebook dont have rights to it if it is appealed to them. Otherwise they can use it without royalties.

11. Tomas

Tomas Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I use Photobucket, but i thought that they had the same terms as Facebook, that they can use the pictures after they're uploaded?

I have also tried Flicr briefly, but returned to Photobucket after a couple of days.

12. kyoshiro

if I have any time, i'll have a dig through all their agreements and pick out relevant parts and post it up

13. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Don't use photosuckit.....their images expire waay too quickly. Literally looking at any older threads, you will not be able to see images that were hosted with it.

Use imageshack . MUCH better.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

14. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Ive noticed that in some of the older threads, all the photos are deleted, wondered what that was all about. Thanks

-Is it the same if you pay for the photobucket pro, or whatever its called?

15. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

photobucket

16. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Photobucket !!!!

17. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Have you guys been fine with the free accounts, or is the pro worth it for photobucket

18. kyoshiro

supertuner if ya want, i can let you host images on my server lol

19. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

I've been using Photobucket, but I think for this upcoming season i'll be switching all of my photos over to FLIKR.

20. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the offer, but I just wanted to see what was the difference between these if it really mattered, after reading up on them, and just wanted to see what you guys used