pH Neutral (or all wheel safe) Wheel Cleaners

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Reflect, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Just waitin on the rep to e-mail me back. I'm under the impression they avidly answer e-mails in the morning and drop off around noon. Unless he's ignoring me, which is quite the possibility.

2. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Sorry to get off topic but Emile, is your brake buster really a gel formula? I have some ( and like it) but its a complete liquid. Maybe they changed the formula up since I havent been to the p&s store in a bit.

3. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

This thread is a whole lot of opinons so far. Quick notes of what I have gathered....
    P21s is pH neutral, extremely safe, very effective, and readily available in North America.
    Autoglym custom wheel cleaner is safe, effective and readily available in North America.
    Diablo wheel gel is currently an unkown.
    This Sonax stuff is potentially very good but not readily available.

So why not go with the AG or P21s?

4. Minicoop831

Minicoop831 Birth of a Detailer

I think that diablo is pH Neutral because it is safer than there sticky wheel gel which is I believe is around 11 on the pH scale

Diablo had less cleaning power than sticky wheel gel but is a safer product which is why I believe it is pH neutral though I have not tested it

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

We always want what we cant have and always looking for something better, haha.

6. Reflect

The pH of AG scares me a little bit. I want something that I won't waste a lot of product (P21S) and it's safe to let dwell for hours.

7. Chineseguy

Chineseguy Birth of a Detailer

What's the pH of the AG?

8. Reflect

Around 11. It's safe to use for a short time, but like I said I want something that I can leave on for a long time.

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

We're just looking for a cheaper and better alternative, especially one backed by MSDS sheets that prove that they are in fact ph Neutral (roughly between 6 - 8 is pretty neutral IMO).

10. Reflect

Well AG is much cheaper than Sonax, it's just the pH thing.

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I thought AG Custom Wheel Cleaner was pH neutral. I know AG has a acidic wheel cleaner but you have to remember not all acids are technically bad.

12. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm, well after looking as msds for AG CWC it is 13.39 pH...

13. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

P21S Gel pH is 9.5. On the bottle, it says "pH controlled" which means it specifically falls under the guidelines of the German automakers for recommended pH level, the limit being 10.

AG CWC is pH of 13.4 or 13.5, agpatel would know better since he just checked.

pH levels can serve as an idea of the cleaning power but is not always the only measurement for cleaning power.

As for my P&S Brake Buster, like I said, I only have a gallon of it and it's just sitting on my shelf. I haven't even taken the cap off or anything but the directions/info on the bottle and on the website both state that it is a "...unique cleaning gel that adheres to the wheel surface..." To be honest, when I was moving it to its location on my shelf when I first got it, I noticed that the product was shifting quite easily and seemed to be more of a liquid than a gel. When I try it out, I will let you guys know how it is.

Does anyone know the pH of the Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, anyways? I looked on their site and no MSDS, and no claims of it being pH neutral. They just say "acid free" but that's usually just code for alkaline.

14. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Sure it's cheaper but I wouldn't necessarily say it's better either since the main thing we all want is a pH neutral wheel cleaner. So in relativity, the Sonax is the cheapest and best solution (AFAIK) for a pH neutral wheel cleaner. Of course CG claims there Diablo wheel gel is pH neutral but we don't have the MSDS to confirm that.

15. Reflect

16. Reflect

Emile, any idea what Gloss-it's pH is?

17. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Kyle, you can definitely include me in the list for the Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. Are you speaking with Tom @ Sonax USA?

No clue of GI's pH value. I e-mailed Rich about it and he never responded. Tried a pH test strip on it and it measured somewhere on the alkaline side, but my pH test strips only measure between 6.0 - 8.0 so I have no clue if it was any more alkaline than 8.0 or not.

18. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I'd be down for a bottle to try out

19. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Here in SA we have 2 types of the Sonax Wheel cleaner. One is called Extreme Rim Cleaner and the other is Extreme Rim Cleaner Full Effect.

The local part number for the full effect is 2302000 which matches that of the SoCal Shop product you listed. Looking at the video as well it says full effect on the bottle which leads me to believe it is the correct formula :thumb:

I've never really measured how much I use per wheel but I generally give all the vehicle's I detail a healthy coating (being relatively cheap I use a fair amount and have never monitored the consumption). That being said however, the retail packaged bottles have a nice spray head that allows you to adequately clean a fairly dirty wheel with only a few spritzes.

If I get a chance I will take a video this weekend to show you guys :thumb:

20. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

+1 You could order the 6L package(s) and just ship them out as individual bottles. I might be up for a few. I don't think I need 6L though.But I am sure many people are the same way I am sure we can get a list going. :applause2:
    (that or I'll have to talk to a friend or two and split among ourselves)

Just see what you can do price wise and keep us updated. Very interested in the Sonax Xtreme.