pH Neutral (or all wheel safe) Wheel Cleaners

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Reflect, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Will do. I plan on working out all of the kinks beforehand.

2. Reflect

I have some and like it for normal wheels. I want a wheel cleaner that I can leave on for a really long time if need be.

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

4. Reflect

I had a 22oz Gloss-it Wheel Gel in the shopping cart, and it was $14 to ship. No thanks.

5. Reflect

That's full effect. I'm pretty sure this is the one that is really Extreme but they can't call it that to copyright infringement.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

7. Reflect

Much better. Hmmm.... Alright I just ordered it. I'll still work with Sonax though. Can't wait for spring!

8. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

PM me about this....I was planning on using the Diablo this season. I am interested in the Sonax. I would certainly like to talk to you about this.

9. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I'd be extremely interested if 5L of Sonax could be had for a reasonable price, after shipping.

The GI Wheel Gel is only worth it if it's purchased in 3-packs. Even then, I try to wait for the rare 20% off sales Rich offers a couple times a year.

I'm curious of the potential cleaning power of Diablo Gel but it seems nobody has posted a review on how it works on some hammered wheels. Personally, I really like it but I haven't been able to test it on really bad wheels so I cannot justify the price difference between Diablo and Sticky Gel, or even between the Premium Blue. Again, I have not had a chance to test it on any really hammered wheels.

Pirex can sell Scholl RIM-7 to the US but after shipping I believe it's $160 or so for 5 liters. We both agreed it's too expensive to be worth it but that wheel cleaner seems to be perfect. pH neutral, Gel formula, long dwell time, and seems to have excellent touch-less cleaning power.

10. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

I heard the RIM-7 is not that great.

11. Reflect

Realistically, we can probably get 6 (yes 6) liters of Sonax Xtreme in cases of 16.9 fl oz bottles for around 100 shipped.

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

interesting.

13. Reflect

The problem is that overseas they get it much cheaper, like $40 plus shipping for 5 liters. So the import costs coupled with profit make it twice as expensive for us. The cases at that discount are still almost expensive as P21S, but I've heard it cleans a tad better, you get all those bottles for free with spray heads, 6 liters instead of 5, and Sonax indicates when the brake dust is breaking down by turning a different color. Also, I'm not a P21S gel veteran, but it seems that it takes a lot of gel to cover the wheel due to how thick it is. Spraying the Sonax in liquid form would seem to be a lot more "spray efficient."

14. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

6 liters for $100 shipped isn't too bad but it's not really much better than P21S Gel on pricing.

You're right on that one, P21S Gel is so clingy that I always end up using more than I would like. I like to start by spraying P21S from the top and let it naturally run down the rim and the upper barrel. It helps a little bit but not that much. I have seen people also spray some on directly and brush/spread it around with a clean dry Swissvax Wheel Brush and that seems to work also.

I think this is a problem that is going to have no single solution. I always keep several different wheel cleaners on my shelf; different cleaners for different tasks.

15. Reflect

Although Sonax isn't a gel, it creates a goop when it cleans the wheel. It can sit for a long time since it's pH neutral, just like P21S. You may just have to re-wet it to activate it again if it dries.

16. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

6L doesn't sound half bad for that price. I would not complain if it is better than P21S, which sounds like it is :)

17. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Maybe get a bunch of people together, pay for my plane ticket...I will pay him a visit in Norway...pick up a few and bring them back...get me some Scholl...yep...I will take one for the team...

I may add a bottle to a order later...thinking of picking up some stuff from him in coming months.

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

so then a case would consist of 12 bottles? thats whats needed if the bottles are 16.9 oz each to make 6 litres.

16.9 oz = 500mL (look at your 1Z bottles :D)
    1000mL = 1L

19. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hmm, hopefully after all of our research we can find a reliable source for some Sonax RimCleaner.

20. Reflect

2 cases, sorry for the confusion. 2 cases should be around $100 plus shipping (around there) if we can work a deal with their reps. A case is six bottles. And I don't have any 1z bottles. (don't shoot!) Whenever we work through all of the cleaner, those bottles will come in handy for dilutions.