Optimum Opti-Coat II

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by piginapoke, Jun 9, 2012.

1. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I applied a layer of Opticoat 2 to a Harley Gas tank let it cure for 48 hours and then wraped it in mf's and plastic wrap and placed it on a shelf for a week while I worked on the bike, today I brought it down and uncovered it to find haze spots all over it. I set it out thinking it may after a few hours clear up, but after four hours it was still hazed, I took out my GG polisher a 4' uber green pad and 85 rd and it cleared right up.

What caused it to haze?
    Did I do the right thing be polishing it?
    Is there anything I need to do to the finish now? (apply another layer of opticoat?)

2. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I believe that Opti Coat takes 3 months to fully cure.

3. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Most likely high spots that were not evened out during application.

4. piginapoke

I went over it again after the first application and spread any high spots and streaks out again, it looked perfect before I wrapped it up two entire days after application.

5. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I believe because you trapped the gasses that would have been released with the MF Towel and plastic wrap rather than to the air.

6. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

Funny, I had opti coat haze on me last Friday and Sunday as well. Never had it happen to me before, and I've done easily over 10 applications.
    I've done them all the same way, except the polish used were different, and different paint.

7. crimsondr

crimsondr Virgin Detailer

Can a syringe of opti-coat be partially used and then saved for later? Or does it have to be used all at once?

8. Carbon

Carbon DB Forum Supporter

Not sure why you wrapped it up. That had to have an effect on it being hazy. Polishing it fixed your problem.

Yes, Opti-Coat can be stored and used later.

9. piginapoke

I had to place a $1000 gas tank up on a shelf in my garage until I could remove the dented tank from the motorcycle.

10. crimsondr

Thanks. Since opti-coat is permanent does it clean off the applicator easily? Or would it turn the applicator into a rock?

11. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

you want to make sure you throw out that applicator after you use it.

12. crimsondr

Okay that's good to know. The applicator can only be used once and then it's scrap. At least the syringe can be saved and used multiple times.

13. builthatch

builthatch Virgin Detailer

why? i've cleaned them just fine after use with soapy dawn solution and a really good rinse/squeeze sequence. not that i prefer the hollow foam applicator that they send with the syringe, but i have reused it several times without issue. if you like the one he sends with the syringe, you can at least clean and reuse it until the syringe is done, which could be several times depending on the size of vehicle(s).

i have smaller applicators that are a bit more dense that i have used with opti-coat and i treat them the same - still work great.

if you are a pro and making a bunch of money per application, i can see just throwing it out. but if you are a DIY type, try cleaning it.

14. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

the haze is from sealing the coating solvent in with plastic wrap.

Optimum Coatings can be stored in the syringe with the black tip installed for use later.

You can reuse the applicator a few times with you clean it well. If it feels hardened or less pliable, use a new one.

15. piginapoke

Was polishing it the correct way to resolve the issue? I polished it with one of the lightest polishes available, is the coating still sufficient? Should I re-apply?

16. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Yes you should re-apply.

17. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

If you just polished till the haze was gone, you probably still have a layer of protection. Check beading after a few washes and reapply if necessary. Yes, polishing is your only option and the least aggresive method is preferred.