Opticoat - Applicator One Time Use

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by chefwong, Aug 3, 2011.

1. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

I've looked and don't see any response

With sealants like Opticoat, Cquartz, etc - are the applicators a 1 time use thing....meaning don't wash app and throw away ......

2. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Yep! The applicators get hard after using (about 48h from moist to firm). And they are cheap enough to dispose of since you are only using Opti-Coat once anyways (assuming its your car).

3. chefwong

I don't like the bundled apps....they are not as soft as the LC Yellow or Red Finishing / Application Foams....
    Depends on paint, but the yellow ones even when *moist* are not soft enough for me on soft paint

4. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

You can reuse apps used for OC unless you let it dry.

5. chefwong

Chris - If I put it in a sealed ziplock bag, won't it dry anyway ?

BTW, thoughts on using Optiseal *primed* used pads. I do have a *optiseal only pad* that I rinse after each use - that I would not mind using as my 1 time to retire Opti Coat pad.

6. chefwong

sorry, one more Chris@opt if you catch this.

How much gloss does this add to the paint finish. I know it may be a subjective answer.

I have semi matte black wheels. It took 5 samples to get the right black. It's not semi gloss, not eggshell, not matte. It's somewhere in between....
    Anyhow, with OC, will this add GLOSS to something where I many NOT want gloss.

7. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

If you wash it with detergent or APC as soon as you finish applying Opticoat (before it dries), you can reuse it.

It certainly could change the matte finish and the only way to tell how much would be a test spot.