Oldsmobile Starfire

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by HUMP DIESEL, May 21, 2014.

1. HUMP DIESEL

HUMP DIESEL New Member

Old Oldsmobile: This car was found in a building along with another car. The owner wanted to see what we could do to bring the paint back to life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original Paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chalky Top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Large and in charge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lotion phase

[​IMG]

Marinade on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will load more as the week progresses. Tonight I plan on pulling the first bit of Megs #7 and applying another layer, then starting on the interior as that layer sets. Stay tuned.

HUMP

2. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Interesting. I had not seen this design Olds Starfire. I just remember the mid-70's version that was much smaller.

3. HUMP DIESEL

HUMP DIESEL New Member

Here are a couple more pics from last night. Went back in and pulled the first rub down of #7 off and put on a fresh coat. I could not help myself, so I pulled a small area off the trunk to do a test spot. Using a Green Uber Polish pad and the GG6" DA. I used Sonax 4/6 to get a little bite, but finish down nice as well. I have had really great success with the Sonax.

Second layer of #7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right rear of the trunk

[​IMG]

Test spot on side of right rear

[​IMG]

Test spot on top right of trunk

[​IMG]

Another angle
    [​IMG]

I am not sure how much farther I will go toward some of the RIDS and scratches. This is old paint and I want to get the gloss back out. I will then ask the owner what he feels and also what I feel comfortable with. I think it will be a great transformation regardless.

HUMP

4. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

I love jobs like this one. These are the cars that make it really fun and interesting to detail.

5. HUMP DIESEL

HUMP DIESEL New Member

So here are some more pics with final shots. I spent most of the day on Saturday finishing out the paint and letting my son help with some of the bright work. I must have fed him too much lunch, because he fell asleep once we got back to the shop. Sunday was my final day and I spent the majority of that applying the P21S Concours wax, and working on the interior. The interior was cleaned with a combo of Megs APC at 10:1, have to be gentle, a horse hair Kiwi brush, and my VX5000 steamer. The carpet was then cleaned with Adam's carpet and upholstery and final wipe down was with 1Z Cokpit premium, and leather was cared for with Adam's Conditioner.

Pictures of the top. See the staining?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior during
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside in the sun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have. Now onto something a little more modern. BMW X5 Black Sapphire metallic, full correction with Opti-Coat.

HUMP