Official anti-ONR club

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, May 15, 2009.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I just wanted to get a number on how many people here besides me are horrified with the idea of ONR...that just sounds like such a terrible idea. I really don't wanna eat up expensive MF towels with grime and dirt and heaven forbid I resuse the towels I'd ONR with after they collect the grit and grime from the car.

Rinse, suds, rinse, blowdry, spray-wax wipedown FTW!!!!!!!:applause2:

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Don't knock it till you try it.

3. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Ok...... Don't knock it until you try it.

A MF isn't the only wash media you can use with onr.

Tons of respected people in the detailing community have used it with no complaints.

In fact I haven't read a complaint about onr once the person actually uses it. The only negative comments I've ever read have been from people who haven't tried it yet.

4. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

There's obviously special situations that you can only use ONR in. Don't diss it till you try it.

5. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I agree with above.

What I learned from Dana: don't say something unless you've got concrete facts as to why you said it. If you can say why you don't like it (i.e. you found it marred paint); then that's one thing. But to blindly say you don't use it because of speculation isn't very constructive.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I would agree with that statement 100% Aaron, there is way to much discussion on products that people talk about just going by heresay. Unless you have used the product yourself atleast a few times there should be no reason to comment on it, good or bad.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Jedi Nuba

ONR is one of the safest and most environmental friendly friendly products available. You can do so much with so little amount of water. And let's not forget that you can use it as QD, clay lube, plastic cleaner, window cleaner, water conditioner, etc.

8. d00t

Interested as to what this is/means?

9. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Doot it softens water somewhat. You can use onr in your regular shampoo mix to help with hard water spotting

10. d00t

Interesting!! Good to know!

11. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I have to admit, it took me a while to warm up to the idea. To some degree, it contradicts a lot of the things I've learned over the years. A bad drought, and resultant water restrictions, talked me into trying it. Now, I wouldn't be without it.

12. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I can understand the fear of ONR as I used to suffer from it until I tried it. With that said, if you never feel comfortable enough to do your whole car with it, you can still use it for smaller jobs. I strongly recommend you have some at hand for smaller jobs such as removing pollen or bird bombs (both after having been neutralized with IPA), as it works great. It is also nice as a clay lubricant.

13. Cooter

Cooter Guest

I was kinda scared about using it. I have a black car. I took the car to the coin-op and sprayed it down to remove all the caked on mud from the lower panels that had splashed up. I used it. It works. Just start out light, like a Luis said, pollen or just a little road film. It gets easier. You'll get more and more comfortable with it. You can even do a pre-soak with it with a 1gal pressure sprayer to ease your anxiety.

14. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree, ONR is a great product, specially for us that live in cold climate. I too give the vehicle a good rinse before I ONR it it's worked great....at first I too was skeptic about ONR but trying it is believing...I'm a firm believer on don't knock it till you try it :thumb:....but that's how I ended up with my wax collection :woo:

15. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

ONR is a nice product, it works well when water is limited or in colder climates. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer bucket and a hose method, but sometimes you just have to use ONR. I use it as a clay lube, as a QD for bird droppings, and a water conditioner to soak drying towels in. Works very well. As far as regular washing, as I mentioned before, snow foam, bucket and a hose work better for me.:headbang:

16. star1maker

star1maker Any Rag Vehicle Washer

haha nice this has actually turned into the "Official Pro-ONR Club" thread
    but yeah, still gotta try this stuff myself >.<

17. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Always keep an open mind. Everyone's entitled to their opinion; but the most respected are based on ‘knowledge and extensive experience’.

[ONR is one of the safest and most environmental friendly friendly products available. You can do so much with so little amount of water. And let's not forget that you can use it as QD, clay lube, plastic cleaner, window cleaner, water conditioner, etc. ]

How does ONR work?
    [The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water. The latter is equivalent to the cleaning action from soaps which also work by emulsifying oil particles into water. However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles.
    The No Rinse polymers also bond to all automotive surfaces and create a slick surface and act as a barrier to protect paint from marring. That is something that soap will not provide since surfactants in soaps have no affinity for painted or other automotive surfaces.

When you use 1 oz. of No Rinse in 1 or 2 gallons of water for your wash at the molecular level this provides hundreds of billions of polymer molecules to do what was said above.

Additional product will not be necessary except if you are using tap water that contains high levels of minerals such as calcium hydroxide or silicates. In these cases some of the polymers will bond to these minerals and take them out of solution therefore more product might be necessary to compensate for this effect. This is another reason why adding No Rinse to regular car wash soap improves the results when using tap water. ] [Dr David Ghodoussi]

18. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

ONR is a great product that i too was skeptical of in the beginning.....then i though....how cool to me able to wash a car in my garage or in real bad weather....

i experimented with it a few times on my own vehicles and now i use it all the time....i add it to every wash pail i make up just to help out on regular washes and as some have mentioned it does help soften the water and makes the dirt really slide off the car.....

+1 for the ONR Fan club..... :)

19. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

+1 for ONR.

20. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

While I still like a conventional wash, ONR is a great alternative. I'm sure every one of us was skeptical before using it. I know I was, however after using it, it works as advertised. As far as your concerns about your MFs: although you can use MFs, you don't have to. Lots of members use a grout sponge or some type of mitt. Even if you do use MFs, once you wash them, whatever dirt was in them will come out. If it doesn't for some reason, just demote that towel to grunge duty. You really are short changing yourself by not at least trying it. It's not for everyone, but do you think that the thousands of detailers (some big name ones) that use it haven't verified that it is safe before continuing to use it? Did you shun wireless technology when it came out, because it "didn't seem like it could work"? I doubt it. Do yourself a favor and get a sample to try out and then let us know what you think based on actual experience. I think you will be surprised. I know I was.