Now you see it....now you don't!!

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Nica, Oct 11, 2008.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Any chance you could repost this in English?

2. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

We.. I have to agree with Purple Widow. Although I see every car from a Tuning perspective ( I am a EFI University Certified Tuner ) and the GTR realy is an astonishing car for performance. What it will achive in a few years from the Tuner Companys will be unreal.
    But .. Numbers are just numbers. Will the average GTR driver take it to the level that the car was made for? No. For fear something may break. My 335i is Modified ( Vishnu 3 , Downpipes, Exhaust, Intake, Intercooler , etc ) and can very easily keep up to a GTR in a straight line. I run 12.2 in the 1/4 mile.
    I am a German car guy. I work on them every day. I have been a Porsche fan forever. There is a reason that Nissan chose the 911 Turbo as the car to beat.
    I know that the GTR may not be pretty , but there is thought behind the design. Not my kind of car though. I have worked on them, driven them, and studied them. The greatest attribute that the Nissan has going for it , in my opinion, is that is commands respect everywhere it goes. It carries a certain aura about it , and definatly holds clout on the road. it is quite an interesting thing.
    If I was going to spend that kind of money though ( $100 000 CDN ) , i would rather have the following.
    - 2002 BMW M5 w/ DINAN mods + Supercharger ... My favorite car. EVER
    - 2006 Porsche GT3. ..Light, fast, racecar for the street.
    - 2007 Z06 ( imported from US . Cheap! ) w/ APS Twin Turbo kit. 640WHP... Sorry.. Im a powerwhore. And new Vettes look mean as hell.
    Any whoo.. thats my rant. Would I take a GTR if it was given to me? Of course. But , I would never accually buy one after driving so many German cars in that caliber.

3. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Audi R8 Carlos, I have said it before, and I say it again :D

4. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I don't think it's a bad looking car but there are definitely a lot better looking sports cars around. Porsche has acused Nissan of posing bogus track times wih the GTR. I don't know if it's true but the car performs excellant for the money from everything I have read about it.

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

:worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2:

6. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Well with the recent issues at Nissan I am beginning to wonder about the GTR. They have cancelled production in one of their plants do to issues with the transmission. They have also been voiding warranties for owners that have been turning off the traction control.

Apparently they can analysze the "black box" in the car to see exactly what the owner is doing.

The tranny replacement is like $20,000.00...yikes..

7. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

$100k? are you kidding? where do you live for them to have such a markup? New York? Los Angeles? Miami?

my father's friend just picked one up 3 months ago for $120k which is a ridiculous 40k markup

down in my area they are going for MSRP at $67k and 10 have already been paid for with another 3 on the way for those "impulse" buyers.

i've been following the whole transmission dilemma and i have yet to see a statement where the car WASNT abused..... most of these problems came from overzealous owners who want to use the Launch Control feature at every stop light.

yes a new GR6 transmission will cost $20k.
    yea, Nissan can void the GT-R's warranty upon evaluation of the vehicles "Black Box" data to determine if the car was severely abused or not.

I would call these transmission failures are due to SEVERE ABUSE since the car has not even been released no less than 8 months ago

8. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

One just sold at the local Nissan dealer right up the street for me in West Chester, Pa. Price $102k. I personally know the individual that bought. The markup is nuts.

9. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

if i paid $40k markup, the dealer owners' hot wife better give me a good BJ and play with my baby batter in her mouth

10. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I agree with you Nica, there is something about it that I don't like. I mean, I look at it and can't find anything wrong with the styling, nice lines/sporty, but it's just lacking any real "soul". Maybe I will like it when I see it in person (probably never here in modest Buffalo). :shead:

Are you actually currently looking for a weekend toy type vehicle?

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Well after detailing the vehicle I have a better respect for the design, I have to admit I enjoyed every curve of this vehicle. When I first laid eyes on the vehicle the design didn't really appeal to me but once I started washing it, claying it polishing it and man handling it I actually took a step back and appreciated the exterior design. Putting the HP and performance aside this vehicle is really not that bad..mmm..interesting how a perspective changes after detailing a vehicle...this same thing happened to me with the Z06's..now don't get me wrong I'm not saying the vehicle is worth the price tag...but if the vehicle was say $20k to $30k less then I would say it would be worth it...but the dealerships are being a bit ridiculous with the price on these GT-R's. But then again it comes down to supply and demand :shrug:

Any who at the end of the day I still feel there are many superior vehicles to this vehicle. I'd love to have a Porche Turbo, gorgeous vehicles.

Oh another thing is that this GT-R was quite loud, not engine loud but the transmission made quite a bit of noise, suspension was super stiff (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but it sure had a rattle to it. I sure wasn't expecting so many rattles on this vehicle :shrug:

Oh and yes, the dealerships have spread fear to the owners of these vehicles as to what you can and can not do to these vehicles. I mean if you take it to track, the computer will record everything and the dealership will now and the dealership at any point and time can say the warranty is void due to miss use of the vehicle, same goes for the launch control :confused: :confused:

Any who, it's a very interesting vehicle to say the least and after detailing it, I can appreciate the design a bit more...but still not worth $100k but that's just me :shrug:

12. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

Unless I am mistaken, Nica is in Canada. Cars are priced differently there vs. the US.

13. DB Boss

DB Boss DB representative

This GT-R is quite the machine, thanks for the ride Carlos. It's a shame you wont be keeping the vehicle, it would have been fun putting this GT-R against my Porches.

I personally didn't mind the exterior, as far as price goes, like I told you it's simple economics. Supply and demand, that's how business is done.

I look forward to the videos you made.

14. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

You sucked up to the Boss and gave him a ride. OH MAN:gross: Just kidding

15. Nica

Nica Banned

lol...I had too, the boss lets me use his vehicles any time I need them :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed the ride Boss, videos are coming up :cheerl:

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I instruct for a local club at track events. This weekend, there were two GT-Rs at CMP. When they drove by, they were dead silent. Not a sound out of them. Kind of a shame.

As for the looks, I personally don't like it much.

It is, however, a magnificent piece of engineering. And it's great that Nissan decided to bring them into the US. Too often, manufacturers don't let the US have the "Good Stuff" it seems.

I say, if the Nissan dealers can upcharge for the cars as much as they are, good for them. Maybe Nissan (and others) will take notice, and realize that US customers are ready and willing to pay real money for their best products!

17. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

I do like the looks of this car, but I do personally like the look of the r34 much better compared to the r35

18. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree i was hoping for more sounds of the engine, you know more "super" if you know what I mean...but i'm sure the exhaust can be ultered :shrug:

As to the look of the vehicle, yes it can grow on you...but for me what it comes down to it is the price, the price and the stipulations from the dealership. I mean what ever you do you risk voiding the warranty, now keep in mind this is the first generation of the GT-R so I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to work out..but that's just my opinion.

Nevertheless, it's not a bad vehicle...but I just get hung up on the price $$ that's all. I mean for the price of this GT-R you can go and get your self a two year old Porche Turbo :shrug: just saying though.

19. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Carlos, are you gonna get R8 instead???

20. Nica

Nica Banned

um...to be honest I don't know what I'll be purchasing, so hard to choose from. It could be a Porche Turbo, it could be a Ferrari F360, it could be an Aston Martin, it could be a Lambo. Gallardo, it could be..it could be...:confused: just having a hard time choosing.

One thing is for sure I wont be choosing based on performance, it has to be stylish inside and out...Im a big fan of wood trim or just an interior that's presentable, so far i've been disappointed by a few vehicles so far...but like I said my expectations have to be met before I dish out my hard earned money.