New to polishing, question

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by upsidedown, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

Hello fellow Calgarian,

I am in Calgary as well. I am by no means pro, but I have helped a few locals with their polishing. Don't hesitate to ask if you want me to check out your work and see what's happening. If there's anything I can't answer, I guarantee the fellow DB members can provide you with an answer.

2. upsidedown

upsidedown Virgin Detailer

Thanks Dan,
    I am indeed convinced to invest in a machine sometime down the road, but seeing as i can probably borrow a buddy's orbital sander for the time being, i'll probably invest in the cheaper items at this points (ie chemicals and pads). I'll probably wait for a good deal from a sale or ebay.

3. upsidedown

hey, thanks for the offer, i might just hit you up when i get all my stuff purchased.

on a side note, being in Calgary with its 1million random bylaws, how do you go about washing your car? Just with Optimum no rinse? is there any better way in rinsing your car, especially when you use other chemicals like iron-x, tar-x, etc...

4. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

I use bio-degradable shampoo. However, when I lived in a condo what I did was take two buckets (w/ lid and GG) and fill one with water and shampoo and the other just water. Bring it to my local coin-op car wash station and do my thing. I always did this late at night (eg midnight).

5. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I would not use an Orbital Sander, most of their OPM ranges start above the top speed of a GG R/O or a Porter Cable. Machine polishing requires a lot of knowledge to go with it and you can't really just throw together borrow sanders/pads/polishes. I would go with GloomyX, assuming he has a GG or 7424 and just pay him to do it.

6. upsidedown

I've got a neighbour that seem very picky about this and I wont be suprised if she called the bylaw offices on me if i used anything but water on the car... I might have to look for a 24hr wash station around me... Thanks!

7. upsidedown

hmmm, ill keep that in mind, im not 100% sure what my buddy have, but if it is as you say a sander rather than a random orbital i may have to look into investing in a machine sooner than later.