New to polishing, question

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by upsidedown, Jul 27, 2012.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Virgin Detailer

I'm new to auto detailing and polishing so any info is good info...

I want to opticoat my car, but there is tones of minor swirls on it.
    I've tried to use optimum finish polish (tried to keep the same brand) but it doesn't seem to help.. and feels like i am actually scratching the car up even more.

I did some reading on the form and most people suggests Menzerna, but on their description it recommends that it is better to be used with machine than by hand.
    Since i dont really have the money to invest in a machine right now, what is the best option for polishing these swirls by hand?

are the Chemical Guys V series (V38) any good?

2. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

not sure where you are located but doing it by hand is a pain in the rear. some random orbitals are for sale on e bay etc. new ones cost less than 150 i believe. some newer cars have really hard ceramic type paint and scratch removal by hand is almost impossible. menzerna are top line products but a whole lot of people just use meguiars 105 and 205 with great results. good luck

3. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

For one what kind of car is it ? Two in order to properly remove the swirls you need to do this by machine. Then depending on the paint hardness and the severity of the defects . You can then dial in the polish required.

4. upsidedown

Its a new Ultramarine FR-S that I got a few wks ago. Didn't notice any swirls at the time, but a buddy pointed it out one day under the sun, so I am guessing it was mostly from dealership when they wax/prep it...

i want to avoid using a machine as i 150$ for a polisher seems a bit much not knowing if how often i would use it. But i guess swirl removal cant really be done by hand?

5. upsidedown

6. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

the pad holders actually work pretty well. it is just basically a feel thing. start very easy pressure and check your progress. if it is a new car then you might pull it off by hand. there are some "paint cleansers " out there that work well on small fine scratches. ie sonax nano paint cleanser. dont forget to check e bay or amazon for a used porter cable 7424. probably cost 1/2 of the 150.

7. wheelzntoys01

wheelzntoys01 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Post your location, might be a hobbyist near you.

8. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

Are you located in Toronto by any chance?

I could help you out if you're in the same city.

9. upsidedown

I'm in calgary so no luck there :(

i think i will give the manual pads a try before i go to machine...

also buying a polisher off e-bay dont really work for me since most dont ship to canada, and the ones that do the shipping cost so much that i might as well buy a new one =/.

so is there any good finishing polishes to use by hand? especially on a dark blue car?

im guessing meguiars 105 and 205... should i go for Menzerna Final Finish FF3000as well?
    how does the chemical guys line of polishes compare to the meguiars?

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If they are light swirls, Menzerna Power Finish will probably do the job for you. It's capable of removing even moderate swirls and finishing down well enough to go straight to Opti Coat. Removing swirls by hand will be a long, laborious job. I would try and get a Porter Cable. They are very durable and will last you a lifetime. You will be polishing that colour every spring. Might as well get the polisher now.

11. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

+1 with Ken!

12. upsidedown

i guess i should look into an oribital buffer.... any major difference between a porter and grout?

13. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Get the Griots. More power, less vibration, lifetime warranty. If you are on a budget, just stick with Meguiars 105+205. Great combo and works very well

14. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

you can always pick up the phone and call Auto Obssessed. They are in Edmonton. Troy will help answer some questions also. It might be even cheaper for you to buy from there compared to eshine, Since you are in the same province as them.

+1, get the griot's machine.

time is money, you don't want to spend all your time correcting by hand, even if u save money by not buying a polisher, you will have spent that time (i.e. money) when polishing by hand.

like Ken said, better to get it now than realize it later and regret it. he won't steer you wrong.

15. upsidedown

Thanks for the advise guys... I think a buddy might have a orbital polisher/sander, so I think I can steal that from him for a bit. In terms of pads, should I still go with the hand pads? That way i can still do some minor corrections by hand when i dont have a polisher around. Will the pads also work with a polisher? or should just just go for some proper polisher pads? i think his polisher uses 6" pads but need to make sure.

after spending so much on the car, i dont think the wife will be too happy if i spent 100+ on a orbital polisher... not until i find a way to convince her anyway..

16. upsidedown

*double post*

17. daiges26

daiges26 Virgin Detailer

^ I'm having the same issue as you. I want to buy a buffer but can't afford one while I am looking to pick up a condo soon.

Does anyone have recommendations on the best place (besides ebay) to pick up a budget friendly option? Thanks

18. upsidedown

19. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

You will need a smaller backing plate. Smaller than the pad size.

20. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Which ever machine you get sometime, it may come with a "backing plate" that is usually made to hold 6" pads and only that size pads.
    While you can put smaller pads on it, the edges of the backing plate will be sticking out at least 2" farther and will hit things on your car and paint and possibly damage them.
    If you want to use smaller pads like 4", 3" or 5" it requires you get get backing plate/s sized for the size pads you want to use. The backing plates are easy to change, and one machine either the Griot, or Porter Cable, can handle all 3 backing plate sizes and appropriate pads.
    For all users of Random Orbital machines like the Porter Cable and the Griot's machines, it would always be better to use smaller pads to allow the machine to get more rotation out of them thereby making them more effective.
    You are right - none of this is very inexpensive, but for owners of dark colored paint that like their paintwork to look good, it will require work and it can be done at a good Detailer shop or by yourself, once you get a good kit together.
    Good luck with this - listen to your Canadian friends here - they are all great, great, guys who like all the Canadians I have ever known, are willing to pitch in and help.
    Dan F