New Menzerna Chart

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by P1et, Jan 20, 2012.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

I agree. I loved Powerfinish. it was great for taking care of some minor RIDS and imperfections. Used it on my M3 when it came time to touch up. Glad I still have a good amount.

I got half way through that chart and quit.

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I believe PL is specific only to menzerna USA. Developed and marketed by them to replae FMJ.

3. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

yes im pretty sure i have read the same

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

OK gents, did some research and found the below on a German forum. I will go ahead and copy and paste the translated text plus all pictures, I think everyone will enjoy this:

Hello user / inside

after the new Menzerna polishes for a while on the market, it is time to try it out once and compare the best equal to those already existing.

Had to serve for a red (uni) hood, please do not ask me by what vehicle is this, have no idea. The paint this hood is of the medium to hard variant.

The whole thing was run with each of the rotary machine Maktia CB 9227, Orange Lake Country pads and a speed to 1500 rpm, slight pressure (about 5-7 kg), 2 times each in cross bar (ie, 1 time up / down + left 1 time / right and the same again). The trial was not designed to eliminate the existing deep scratches and paint defects in the hood, but "only" with the abrasive mat made ​​points, as only then one could reasonably be assumed equal.

Therefore, the pictures also see many of these defects, but you would ever need to change sections but its processing method to adjust / and that I wanted in this case.

[​IMG]

Here, the individual candidates in order (from left to right), FG 500, PG 1000, IP 2000, compared with PO85RD3.02, PF 2500, compared with PO203S, FF 3000, SF 400, compared with PO106FA.

[​IMG]

To determine what was done in various polishes the hood at the bottom of the page with the complete Tolecut dry abrasive grit 3000, edited.

[​IMG]

Here also, the upper area taped off extra in addition to the comparison with the previous polishes and again with Tolecut dry abrasive grit 3000, edited. The lower 3 small grinding bodies belong to a different trial and are polished to end with the extra PF 2500.

[​IMG]

As expected, the FG had 500 no problems with the edited site. For the polishing itself, this smells very chemical (not quite as "toxic" as the 3M Fast Cut +), dust and leaves, of course, to my surprise there are no visible traces of a slip and with considerable brightening.

[​IMG]

Here, the PG 1000, had with the place mats, no problem, but I smeared a little too much, leaving a minimum gray veil.

[​IMG]

The IP 2000, place mat was removed without problems, very nice shine, without visible grinding marks and I would say "identical" with the PO85RD3.02, which is visible below.

[​IMG]

Here, the "old" PO85RD3.02, as usual, no problems with the place mats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 times the finished hood, the SF 4000 and the PO106FA could see the faint traces of not completely, all the others had no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see what has become the three small areas, each with a deep scratch (especially caused by a screwdriver) and had been subsequently cut with three different varieties of abrasives, after polishing with Menzerna PF 2500th The scratches, which were indeed up to the primer remained in it, of course, but could be mitigated under certain light conditions and are not as clearly visible.

[​IMG]

I have pictures of it eventually abandoned the steps to make, because the differences in gloss steps, etc. could not capture image Technically, therefore you have to get on my bottom line "exit" ;-)

Conclusion:

FG 500 has pleasantly surprised me, for the perfect shine but you should rework the example again with the FF 3000/SF 4000

PG 1000 was not now so my case, leaving this light gray veil removed but the traces perfectly, perfect for finishing gloss necessary, such as FF 3000/SF 4000

IP 2000, could find no real difference to PO85RD3.02, for example, with a perfect shine finishing FF 3000/SF 4000, would perhaps even just one or the other with a paint cleaner or something ala Dodo LimePrime pursue, would certainly also be nice shine but not perfect!

PF 2500, could also find no real difference to PO203S and also had the best place mat removed, the paste is absolutely necessary as so-called one-step-paste, in particular paint / varnish defects, often not finishing.

FF 3000, could also eliminate the dull place (but only after a further cross-bar passage), leaves a great shine and no rework required for further treatment with Finshprodukten such as sealant or wax or corresponding Pre-Cleaner

SF 4000, could not completely eliminate the dull place, could see no difference to PO106FA, the shine is great and needs no rework for further treatment with Finshprodukten such as sealant or wax or corresponding Pre-Cleaner

So it was for now. How does the whole thing now is to paint the other (extremely hard, soft, etc.) and paint defects or with other processing method (more pressure, more passages, more or less speed, other pads, other type of machine, etc.) behave in the future show .

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great find P1et. Now if we could only get Menz to use one set of goddamn labels, we'd be golden!

6. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

so it is safe to say based on the test above that PO203 (now PF2500) LIVES ON! VIVA LA POWER FINISH!

P1et and Ken, don't act like you don't share this excitement with me!

7. P1et

Yes, according to this test we can purchase PF2500 and sigh with RELIEF that we don't have to hunt the ends of this earth to find another bottle of PO203S...

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I removed my PF bottle out of my bunker today after reading this............

I do want to try the new PF though, and I like the packaging much better, the older ones just looked really plain. (not that packaging has anything to do with quality right)?

9. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong because I heard this through the grapevine rather than a direct source from Menzerna but the whole product line originally was meant for commercial use in body shops etc and wasn't geared towards the consumer like us who might just avidly do paint correction. Now, given their success not only in the commercial side of things but also with average joes and detailing enthusiasts they wanted to tailor their products a bit better towards us. Not a bad move if you ask me. Again I stress the fact I could be wrong. I do like the new labeling though myself.

10. Kilo6_one

if you go on their website it does mention that.............IIRC 3m as well was directed at body shops at one time.

11. P1et

Makes sense. Perhaps make it a bit more user friendly?

12. Kilo6_one

13. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Cross-posted from this thread discussing Meguiar's M101 compound as it is pertinent to this topic:

So, how do we suppose the new Menz line is more for "Detailing & Reconditioning"?. More importantly is there really much of a discernible difference between the Detailing & Reconditioning, Bodyshop, and OEM lines? Or is it just marketing speak?

And how the heck can the Euro body shops jump from wetsanding to a foam pad? I would imagine the results would be lacking.

14. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

^^ I would be you thats probably why you see so many write ups on such disasterous paint over on DW, because of the lack of the body shops ability to fully correct after wet sanding, who knows.

I too would be curious to know how much of a difference there is in the product lines, maybe for body shops the polishes contain less silicone so they can polish directly after a car has been sprayed?

15. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

As long as you're not stopping at 1000-1500 grit while sanding, you can easily get out 2000 grit and up wetsanding marks with foam. I've managed it with rotary, Flex and even DA. No tracers to be found, and believe me I was looking. :)

16. Racer

Racer Birth of a Detailer

FG500 it´s a great compound and in some paints you can even almost get LSP ready.
    Much better than 3M FCP and M101 , IMHO.

I can get all the FG500 or PF2500 you want.
    More info by PM please.

Regards

Rui

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You shouldn't have any issues removing even 1500 grit sanding marks with a foam pad. Would wool be easier? Damn straight. But it can be done with foam. I've done it with my PC and Megs MF disc as well. The type of paint will come into play as well.

18. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I was just given this revision to the Menzerna Chart.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

When do you think your current supply will run out forcing you to switch over Phil?

20. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Thanks Phil for the updated chart ! Looks like the only change from the original chart posted at the beginning, is Power Finish PO203S going from
    3.5 Cut , 3.8 Gloss, to the new 3.0 Cut, 4.0 Gloss.

Perhaps they figured out that at a lower Cut number it would still work great and they would be able to increase the Gloss number a bit.

All the rest of the products seem to have the same cut/gloss nbrs as before..

Dan F