New Flex PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Reflect, Nov 2, 2010.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

My question would be, would the new venting system have an impact on how fast the polish dries out? It looks like it blows hot air right towards the backing plate.

3. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

is this any better that festool rap 150fe?

4. detailersdomain

Pricing will be $369.95

5. detailersdomain

6. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I though it would be in the mid to high 200's not but not high 300's looks like I will have to wait on getting this one if I do.

7. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Lets see how many people will complain on price in this thread alone? :bla2:

Guys its a brand new machine from a top manufacturer with new and improved features. Price isnt cheap but then again its not meant for the weekend warrior.

If it is as smooth and quiet as the makita with a form factor like the flex 3403, um, yes I will buy one:thumb:

8. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

I dont think so. Remember you are not seeing the backing plate and pad in those illustrations. I am sure the vortices created by the spinning pad/backingplate would disapate the majority of the air blowing out the bottom of the machine.

The Makita as an example also has a vent at the bottom of the machine (facing the spindle area) so it I don't think it will have any negative effects. Time will tell for sure, but it looks like a terrific machine!

9. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

10. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

give me a year or so :)

11. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Good analysis! To tell you the truth I haven't even taken a look at my Makita to see where the vents are. All I know is that it just works.

12. arisking

arisking Virgin Detailer

Will most likely be grabbing this. First real machine ever, but might as well if it will last me forever.

Besides, I want to get in to detailing for real and this should be a good investment.

So jacked!!!

13. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Guys, this machine is almost $600 in Europe, so I would buy two for that price!

14. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Looks like Tiny Tim won't be getting that operation!

15. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

LOL!

Seriously though, wonder why it ways more than the 3403?

Flex Tool L3403 VRG Lightweight Rotary Polisher
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Max. polishing pad diameter - 6-1/2"
    Max. back-up pad diameter - 6-1/2" 5/8-1
    Tool fixture Speed without load - 1100-3700 RPM
    Power Input - 11.5 AMP
    Power Output - 1400 w
    Weight: 4.85 lbs

The PE-14 is coming in at 5.6lbs right? Not a deal breaker for me by any means, just curious what led to the weight increase. More robust gears?

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

The 3403 is super light but it's also a light duty machine in my opinion. 20hr polishing marathons on hard paint cars at 1900rpm is not a job for the 3403. Hence why I do all compounding with my makita.

Also this machine should be quieter than the 3403 which is a whiney machine and the new flex should run cooler... Something the 3403 doesn't do so well.

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I thinks its suppose to be a lighter weight rotary compared to other traditional rotaries, but not a "lightweight" rotary like the L3403 VGR. I also think there main focus on this one is the higher quality in the engineering, R&D that went in to creating it, and that it is able to be in use for long periods of time without over heating.

18. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Without trying to stray off the main subject, i like to know how much feedback they take into consideration prior to developing a new machine like this. Something i wish they had would be a little more rubber than plastic for better ease of handling.
    Still like to see this this in person to hear it, how it works and handles prior to maybe purchasing when the time comes.

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Dear Flex,

Bring to US market immediately!

Thanks,

Dave

20. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

It is a superior machine to the previous Flex lightweight rotary, used it for a few minutes with Mike Phillips @ The Autogeek booth but I would need more time to really see if it going to hold up to hard use.

I still use my DeWalt and have since the 90's(has never broke down!!!!) might sell my other Flex rotary for "Cheapness" as this new Flex is "Silky smooth" and the rubberized front of the machine is a plus just hope it will not get as hot as my present machine.