New '07 Toyota Tunda with ALOT of paint... Why??

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by reefer_bob, Mar 18, 2008.

1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Interesting thing I found.

My dad bought a new '07 Toyota Tundra. Silver.

He bought one, went to take delivery and found rats had eaten at the engine. The dealer kept the car and found him a new one.

Since I have the Defelsco paint meter, I took it along to make sure since the car was on the lot a long time that the paint was all even and in good shape.

Anyrate, the first truck had an average of like 4.9 +/- .02 mils of paint. Good shape.

The new truck that the dealer got from another dealer had like 6.7 +/- .02 mils of paint. All over, every pannel, very even, including the roof.

I checked like 5 other Tundras and Land cruisers of different colors on the lot and they were all in the 5.0 range, not up at the 6.7.

Any ideas here as to why? Seems really odd to me. The paint is in spectacular condition for comming from a detailer. I really couldn't see a reason to repaint the whole truck, so I petty much have ruled that out.

Thanks for any input. Pictures comming later.

2. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I did some work a company that installed paint systems for the auto industry. I know that once in while the manufacturer will repaint a vehicle if something happen to the paint the first time around.

3. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

What GBS said ^^^
    It is not uncommon for a vehicle to get a complete re-spray before it is sent to the final assembly area. Defects can be corrected more efficiently and with greater quality control in the paint shop. It's a good thing! :thumb:
    Dave

4. Nica

Nica Banned

That's very interesting, someone mentioned this to me before but I didn't pay much attention to it. Interesting in deed though :thinking:

5. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

sorry i can't help but you have some valid questions here....:thumb:

funny ..can you see the sales managers face :yikes: when the OP is going thru the lot checking his vehicles. for paint thickness ..

i

6. reefer_bob

Sales manager though it was pretty cool... the Sales guy my dad was deal with was saying, "ooh, check that one. Ooh, what about the Land Cruiser, it's 71k, ooh, is that one less cause it's not metallic?".

7. reefer_bob

Now that's interesting... Hmmm, I must research this option a bit more.