Need some help, Prima Cut left some haze on bumper

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by thatwillbuffout, Jun 27, 2011.

1. thatwillbuffout

thatwillbuffout Virgin Detailer

IMG_6468.JPG
    Here are some pics. I did not use a lot of polish, but I was not being skimpy on it. I applied to pad and then spread/dabbed it onto the paint in a few areas and then started the PC.

I started with Orange because I did use the green pad yesterday with the swirl and it did not get it out.

Attached Files:

2. thatwillbuffout

I wonder if I was putting too much polish on the pad, would using more than needed cause this? But even if I used to much wouldnt I have broken it all down anyway after using the PC for some time?

I also agree that I should not be having any problems, I don't think I did anything wrong and I went from the harsher polish to a less abbrasive one and doing the same with the pads. My guess is that maybe I should not have used the Prima Cut with the yellow, but I wanted to lighten up the scratch, which it def did but caused this haze.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

does not look like you burned it, hard to tell 100% but I would maybe try a different pad, like uber green..

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Uber green with a pea sized amount of Swirl. Looks to me like you're using too much polish and it's not breaking down.

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I apologize if this is going over anything anyone touched on already. I have used Prima products a ton in the past and can definitely tell you that Prima Cut with a yellow is basically like using mild sand paper, which is good when you need it for deep imperfections but for sure needs follow up. Using Prima Swirl with the green pad on a PC is way too conservative to get the haze away. Maybe with a rotary this could work but PC not so much. Try going over the spot, if you haven't gotten it out yet, with Prima Swirl and the yellow pad with moderate pressure then work your way down in pads. Swirl with a green pad is more for finishing depending on the paint. Prima Amigo is a great product and you will most likely notice a difference in Haze but it will come back after some time when Amigo has worn off since its more of a glaze or enhancer.

6. thatwillbuffout

Thank you for your input, in hindsight I should have just tried the swirl or cut with the orange pad instead of yellor. The scratch on the bumpe was pretty deep and cut with yellow pad has really lightened it up. So I was able to accomplish what I wanted but doing so I created excess haze. I also believe that I was using way too much polish (both cut and swirl).

I will try the swirl with a harsher pad again this time with less polish and then I will work my way down in pads. If this all does not work then I will be attempting the 85rd mixed with distilled water and using the MF towel between pad and bumper.

7. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

feel free to message me if you have any questions or need some more insight on combinations to get rid of that haze, more than happy to help if needed.

8. thatwillbuffout

Quick update: I did what Chas recommended and used Swirl with the yellow pad using a pea sized amount per M3ride. As I was doing this I could see the haze going away, wiped the dust away and it was basically gone. I missed a spot towards one end and you could really see the difference, so I finished up the side I missed and then went to the green pad. During daylight I cannot even see the haze now, I still have to try looking at bumper when some headlights are on it at night.

So bottom line it came dow to user error, more like stupidity. After you said to use a pea sized amount I remembered that on a larger sized pad your just supposed to put two or thee dabs on the pad. So thank you all for your help, I "believe" it is all fixed or if not it is a 1000 times better, once I look at it at night I will know for sure. I think I am going to have to finish the entire bumper since part of it now is very polished and lacking any swirls!

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Awesome! glad it worked out.......... ive been there before.