NEed Some Assistance

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by sanders4rmoz, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. sanders4rmoz

    sanders4rmoz Virgin Detailer

    So I am relatively new to detailing and need some help. I just bought a Dupray Hill Injection Steamer which is going to help me out with a lot more than just auto detailing. I am a SGT. In the United States Army and I am stationed in Germany. I have a family of five and as of right now am the only one working so I'm trying to make some extra cash. I need to know a lot more than I do now to supply a good service. Before I go out and buy some supplies I think I should ask here. If you could not only list some great products but maybe also put it in laments terms to ensure I comprehend. Also any advice on buffing waxing etc. would be gladly appreciated. Thanks
     
  2. Rcrew

    Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

    That Dupray steamer is a sweet unit and will be a solid start to your detailing work.
    You left your post very open ended, but here are some general thoughts I have on your questions, hope they help.

    1. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, do some searching on topics that interest you.
    2. Detailersdomain is a great place to load up on supplies, phil has a lot of 'starter' type kits and is readily available for questions.
    3. maybe tell us a bit more about what experience you have with detailing as well as what products and tools you currently have. That will help us identify your weak points and point you in the right direction.

    good luck!
     
  3. 1st off thank you for your service to our great Country :usa:

    I don't know what the market is like where you are, but I would start off just doing hand jobs (hold the jokes) There are many decent products that can be purchased OTC

    Once you get a bit more established, I would purchase a quality orbital buffer (megs G110v2, Porter Cable, Griots 6") along with a 1/2 dozen foam 5.5" flat pads (2-orange, 1-yellow, 1-green, 1-white, 1-black)

    For polishes, you can never go wrong with the Megs twins (105/205) Menzerna makes some great stuff also

    I would try to throw back 33% of what you take in and reinvest in your new venture. I would also imagine you could drum up quite a bit of business through the base you are stationed at. Perhaps, you and a buddy could split the cost on some products

    Again, thank you for your service. I really appreciate it :worship2:
     
  4. sanders4rmoz

    sanders4rmoz Virgin Detailer

    Sorry I left the post open but I had just woke up. As far as where I am at, let's say ground zero. I am not too worried about the cost. I am just trying to build or buy a solid kit using others knowledge of great products. Now let me be honest, I have never in my life do a wax, buff, polish on my own. I am actually using YouTube as my ref. on that but am looking for tips from the vets on this. With that said, Mr. Wormley thanks for the support.
     
  5. daveinsweethome

    daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

    you are off to a great start with the dupray. i have found that most you tube videos are somewhat misleading and sometimes wrong. i would look at videos from two sources. here on db forum and also autogeek. both are full of great info and well produced. will you be doing the work in europe or back home in the states? detailers domaine is a great site as is autowerks out of canada. both owners are helpful and carry top products. just follow these two forums and you will fly. by the way i am an old vet myself
     
  6. Sarge, I was under the immpression that you were on a tight budget. I am king of tight budgets :hmph:

    Its very hard for me to send you to another vendor other then the ones who sponsor this site, but having said that, if I were you I would maybe try to find a European vendor that is closer to your area. While I'm quite sure are vendors would be very competitive in price, I'm afraid shipping would eat your lunch :gasp: Now, with you being in the Military and all, maybe you could appreciate keeping are tax dollars in the good ole U S of A :tiptoe:

    Most all vendors will have a DA Kit, that will come with pads and polishers. Another thought, what is the deal with your electrical outlets? Are they the same as we have here(USA)? I know most European Countrys run a different voltage then we do :shakehead: Those blokes do everything backwards :giggle:

    :shead: As for the Youtube videos.....:yikes: There is so much bad info posted on Youtube it ain't funny. I will try to digg up some videos and or threads that I think may do you some good and post them later :shead:

    Now drop and give me 20....Sorry, I just had to do that. Please forgive m inmaturity :baby:

    Oh yea, no need to be so formal here (Mr Wormley) My friends call me Flash :peace:
     
  7. bryansbestwax

    bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

    I will fix you up, give me 10 grand and I will make it happen. and after the ten is gone, give me ten more, (which is generally in a 24 hour timespan).

    Try and find out if a detailer near you runs free meets(clinics) ect. You would be surprised how much info you could gain from them.
     
  8. Try posting on the Autogeek forum that one should get there supplies from Detailers Domain or Autowerks and see how far you get :shakehead: I would rather support the small guy, then the assclowns at Autogeek :roll:


    Trying to steal from a Sgt in The United States Army could be hazerdous to ones health (snapped neck) :bat:

    I wouldn't be so quick to recommend finding a local either. The hacks out number the pros 10,000:1 :duh:
     
  9. sanders4rmoz

    sanders4rmoz Virgin Detailer

    what about griots products, even if they dont support the site. what products of thiers would you recommend one to get. as for cash, i am not hurting to bad but i am trying to find the best at the best price. any products are welcome heres a list of what i am looking at getting.
    buffer, wax, polish, vinyl and rubber cleaner protector, and the best collection of smells in concentrate form. any other products that you feel i may need to run an in house quick detail service then let me know. remember i have a hill injection steam cleaner on order. as well if you have any good ideas on places to stay away from that is welcome too. and to answer some of your questions flash. germany does run on 220v so i am looking for anything dual voltage or if it just cant be then i can always hook it up to a transformer. and no i do not want to buy anything here in germany, products are definatley more effective from the states and your right about the tax dollars. dont forget i am an american serving active duty as an infantry soldier, i will gladly support the U.S. as much as possible. thanks
     
  10. I've been fortunate enough to try a great deal of the Griots line. Unfortunately, are there products extremally overpriced, most are not very good at all considering what else is avalible. They do have a great 6' polisher. Probally the best one out right now (I have one) The only products they sell I would recommend trying would be :shead:

    1) Claybar
    2) Speed Shine
    3) 6" Polisher

    There waxes and Polishes are mediocore at best. There are to many other options that will get you better results for the same money :cig:

    Saving Money

    Always wait for a sale. There is usually at least 1 each month. Always around a Holiday there is one for sure. Having said that, I placed an order yesterday and there was no sale at all, but it was something I just had to have :gasp:

    Buffer

    Its very hard for me to recommend anything other then the 6" Griots for a few reasons

    1) Its the only DA I have used
    2) The only DA woith a Lifetime Warranty
    3) Has more power then any other unit on the market

    Like I was saying before though, I wouldn't purchase anything else from them. Its very weird at times trying to buy detailing equiptment/supplies via The Net. Most times you have to go 1 place for this, and another for that. Reminds me of my wife. When she goes grocery shopping. She will go to at least 3 places before getting everything we need :shakehead:

    Polishes/Waxes

    Megiuars 105 & 205
    Menzerna Power Finish, Power Lock and 85rd

    There are several more I could add, but quite frankly, the above will get you through anything you will be facing

    LSP

    The LSP (last step product/wax) I use I get local. It is a yellow paste carnuba that provides a very deep gloss and beads like crazy (pretty long lasting too) I only pay $8.70 a can for this :giggle:

    I am going to let some others chime in there recommedations. If I see then steering you in the wrtong direction I will chime back in and blast them fools :cig:

    Here is a good tip on products that have scents. There no good. I don't like them :hmph: So I will not be doing you much good on this one either. If you want a nice clean smell get Ozium. It smells real nice IMO :chips:

    My Wife is nagging the crap out of me right now to hurry up :bla2: :bla2: :bla2: I get to go shopping with her today for clothes. There is a sale this weekend. This should be as much fun as doing those pushups I was talking about earlier :thud:

    I will check back in later and see what else I have missed or maybe someone else will give there 3 cents :paranoia:

    Hope you have a great September 11th Soldier :usa:
     
  11. sanders4rmoz

    sanders4rmoz Virgin Detailer

    thanks a mill. bud. and i hope you and your family are enjoying the day as well. hard to believe it was 9 years ago when this happened. i was one pissed off 13 year old i could tell you that. thanks again...
     
  12. I was 36 years old polishiing a Black Cross Country Volvo. It was a day I will never forget nor forgive :deal:

    Good news, I just got back from our shopping spree. My wife suggested we take seperate cars. I schooled her in speed clothes pickin :graduation: She will spend the rest of the day at the mall :shakehead:

    I'm going to just randomally thow out thoughts as they come to me at these point unless you respond with a specific question

    Wheel Brushes

    Daytona & Raceglaze are a couple you will want to get. Stay clear of the EZ Detail Brush. The handle is weak and will snap in no time

    Extractors/Shampooers

    Save your money for now and just get a good shop vac. 5hp+ will get you where you need to go, along with a can of elbowgrease

    Back To The Polishers & Other Electrical Devices

    The 220 grid is going to cause you a problem if you try to purchase here (US) If you ever plan on moving back to the states you may as well plan on leaving them behind/selling it on Craigslist.

    A world for detailers...

    ^^^^ Here is a link to Europes biggest detail forum. Im not trying to run you off from here, but if you make a post there you will get better answers on vendors and such. Just don't fall in the trap of ppl telling you need every product under the Sun or LSP's that cost $5000 :yikes:

    I'm sure I'll think of something else later, so check back in if you would like :golf:
     
  13. 604_Snooze

    604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

    Just wait for ThanksGiving day(US) or around Christmas if you want some discount or free shipping. That's what I did last thanks giving day.
     

Share This Page