Need Overspray Removal HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Dust2Glory, May 22, 2008.

1. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Ok well today Texstar and myself attempted what we thought would be an easy day of removing overspray from a couple of vehicles. They were at a library that was close to a water tower that was being painted.

Well I though my Rightlook medium duty clay was gong to knock this stuff out... but boy was I WRONG!!!! Well after scrubbing in one spot for 10 mins, I was about fed up. So we went to Wal-mart looking for Prep-sol, no luck. So I called a body shop I know and trust and asked them what to use so soften the paint so it would come off easier. They told me Acry-sol. So I got some of it and nothing!!!!!

So we sat and clayed some more... btw the paint on the car is urathane based if that helps.
    Chris said then we should go get some lacquer thinner, got some and still no results.

I need a recommedations for how to get this overspray off fast and effective!!!! What is a really aggressive clay and are there any solvents that will help break this stuff down. Please no theories cause I don't wanna buy 500 different products. Thanks

2. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

CG purple clay?

3. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Are you going to go back and polish afterwards? I'd be afraid anything you do will mar the paint.

I had overspray on a section of my own car. I used a plastic scraper blade to physically remove it. It took forever, but it worked.

No matter how careful you are, it will marr the surface. I would presume this would be your LAST resort...

4. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Well since you have Acry-Sol there's no need for Prep-All (which is what Walmart sells). I'm surprised that didn't work for you though.

5. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

well on this first car we did we marred the heck out of the paint. but we buffed it out with a 75/25 mix of DG 501 and 106ff... came out great. so not worried about that

Yeah Acry-Sol did absolutly NOTHING!!!! The lacquer thinner did.... NOTHING!!!!

6. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

is it a ureathane epoxy type paint..if so it will be a biatch to get off...I would imagine if they are spraying a water tank ..the paint was there to last a bit....

get a hold of the paint Mfg. and ask them what to cut it with..right now your shooting in the dark ..the strongest clay I used it the red clay magik..very course....but will take off heavy overspray..but the paint your dealing with may be to tuff for it...]

find out what type paint and who makes it..call them...

AL

7. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

4000 grit sandpaper will remove it instantly without creating any marring that 106FF with a white foam pad won't take care of. I've done many cars this way and it's always my go to product over anything else. Keep in mind that some soft trim might need replacing because of it's non-workable nature. Are your clients filing an insurance claim?

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Are the owners of the vehicles being compensated by whoever was spraying the watertower?

Hope you find out soon what to take it off with Michael!

Had it happent to my truck as well, it was gorgeous: black truck full of white speckles...

9. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Thought out that... But red clay magic is tuff huh?

10. carguy461

carguy461 Two Bucket System Washer

This is a website that carries products that might help. Graffiti Removal Product give them a call.:applause2:

11. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

If you spent that long attempting to remove it in 1 section with a mild clay, Red Clay Magic isn't going to be that much better. Sounds like this is sticking to the surface pretty well. Can you get the paint material's MSDS sheets or label?

12. Denalio

Denalio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I would guess the tower paint will be Acrylic base with a top coat or Epoxy Polyamide. Probably using a "dry fall" method and the wind grabbed the overspray. Stoddard solvent will thin epoxy, Iso Alcohol for Acrylics. Top coats Acrylic Polymer thin with Methyl Ethyl Ketone. If they primed the tower it will more than likely be with an Alkyd. The trick is to find out which coating Primer, base or top coat contaminated the vehicles. I am not sure what some of these thinners will do to vehicle paint, just stay away from Methylene Chloride.

13. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Well we got a third victim... a tan Chevy 2500 4-door!!!! Overspray over all the bumper and even worse over the bed cover!!!! Im charging the guy $500