Need help restoring my HRE's

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by stingray23, Apr 15, 2012.

1. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

gotcha. thanks

2. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

See my post # 28, red rouge, white rouge, there are all kinds of polishing bars of different grits that are what the wheel maker people use. they only work with a spinning wheel hence I mentioned an air die grinder with a felt pointed cone pad from Eastwood dot com, who also sell the polishing bars. You just need an air compressor, hose, and connectors to fire this up and it will really work nicely. The wheel repair guy will have this set up too if he is any good. :)

Dan F

3. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

OK, about to start Part2(polishing). Do I need to be concerned with getting OPT metal polish on the powdercoated centers?

4. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

This what they look like after using optimum metal polish, mothers polishing cone, hand polishing, and 100% cotton towels. They are not 100% perfect. I dont think they will be unless they are taken apart and redone by a pro. I'm fine with that. compared to how they looked yesterday, before starting, its night and day difference. I'm gonna wax the centers to see if it helps any.

IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4178.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg

5. cleung

cleung Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have DPE's on my bmw with a polished lip, I use mothers billet metal polish once in a while to get them back to that mirror finish. Like someone said earlier though if doing by hand be prepared to work. What you used seemed to have done a decent job, I bet if you went at it longer with the polish it would have turned out even better.
    http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05106.html

6. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Nice wheels stingray23.

7. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

I have the mothers polish. I'll give it one more try. Here is step 3. I waxed the centers with Pinnacle Souveran. In person, the difference is very noticeable. The centers now have a satin glow to them. They look great.
    IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg

8. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Thanks. They looked great on my Z06

9. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Just to update everyone on my wheels. They sold in less then 24 hrs for exactly what I was asking. Thanks to everyone that helped

10. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

wow, wow, wow......... what a turn around, glad you were able to get what you are asking!

11. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great job had a few customers with those and they are the suck to clean up.

great job!

12. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys. Phil, I will NEVER again buy bare aluminum lips for my wheels. NEVER! Too much maintanance and a PITA.

13. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Hey Phil,

Have you tried Opti-Coat on bare rims like these yet? Do you know if it bonds?