Need help getting HD Camcorder.

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by supercharged, Dec 10, 2011.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I need some help getting myself a camcorder. It must be HD 1080p, and have a good zoom (Cannon won't work, it only zooms 10x). I really like Sony and Panasonic, in $500-$600 range. 3D is NOT needed...Also, I was seriously thinking about getting one with a hard drive. Is there a reason I shouldn't? It's nice to have 100+GB of storage.
    The two I have on my radar are the following:
    Sony - HDR-XR160 | Full HD 160GB HDD Camcorder | Sony | Sony Style USA

Panasonic - Panasonic HDC-HS250 120GB Full HD Camcorder HDC-HS250K B&H Photo

Any feedback on these is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

From the 2 that you have your eye on I would go for the Sony. 40 gb larger HD slightly larger lcd and it appears to have a greater optical zoom.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Making some flicks?

4. supercharged

yes, and Best Buy has a package of camcorder, extra battery , tripod, and case for $540 right now. That's a deal I don't want to miss. On the other hand I always been Panasonic fan and chose their product over Sony as their stuff seems to work forever. Plus its MADE IN JAPAN which is very hard to find these days...

5. supercharged

my son is 9 months old and I need something better then just a camera phone, as I want to be able to record long videos, have ability to zoom in/out.

6. Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet Jedi Nuba

Have you considered a DSLR camera instead of a camcorder? A Canon or Nikon will have the ability to shoot 1080p, larger pick up chips, zoom and interchangeable lenses, as well as photos. Much more flexibility than being stuck with a dedicated camcorder.

7. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

My little guy just turned 2, for him I have/use a Kodak Zi8, Canon 7D with a 35mm prime (mostly, but also have many other lenses), Canon G10, Nikon 1, an old Sony HD cam with hard drive, and my iPhone 4. Out of all of them the iPhone get used the most because its always on me, shoots HD and with the iMovie app I have short films uploaded to the Grandparents just a few minutes after something has happened. The Sony is collecting dust. As far as HD quality goes, the 7D wins hands down however it just doesn't fit in my back pocket as easy. The Kodak does a very nice job is portable, HD and you can add an external mic to it, I bought it when it first came out, I actually received it the afternoon my son was born! Talk about timing! You can pick up the Kodak cheap now. The Nikon and Canon G10 do well also.

Basically what I learned was, for me it came down to portability/availability. The only thing I had on myself all the time is my phone, a slightly crappier quality short video (memory) is better than no video at all. So I say buy the HD camcorder that will be with you all the time, otherwise it will just be used at special occasions.