My wheel cleaner test, comparison and evalutation

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by JoeyV, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I like the sniper analogy.

2. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Thank you, ankeet! That's what I've been trying to say! One wheel cleaner isn't going to be some magical potion that solves all of a wheel's problems! We all have multiple sealants/waxes, multiple polishes, multiple microfibers, etc. etc. on our shelves.

It's not a ridiculous thing to have more than one wheel cleaner on the shelf, as well!

3. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

So do I, lol. And I agree, with it, but I have other products (acid based) that will give me the same or better results and that cost less. I'm just saying, that IMO, it's not worth it's price and I won't be buying any. That doesn't mean I won't use other Sonax products, just this one :p

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Sonax is not for everyone..... what were we all doing before sonax? Remember?

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

AG CWC! :p:

6. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

I decided to try Sonax and after 2 or 3 tries (dry and wet) I have decided that my reference product - P21S Gel - is still the best product. Sonax just leaves more dirt on the wheel than P21S.

7. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

forget sonax, ironcut/ironx ftw! $35 a liter and its a lil stronger and reacts faster

i use whatever favorite degreaser of the month then if needed i get the problem areas with ironx.
    as mentioned sonax only really works on brakedust so using it on a greasy wheel isnt the best idea considering how much 500ml cost.

zep citrus is really strong! i used many different detailer apc's and a 380degree dupray steam cleaner with nylon brushes to try and scrub off hot oil splashes but nothing worked well. maybe 40% at best.
    zep citrus straight in a foaming sprayer, let sit for 2 minutes then wipe with a rough microfiber and 98% of it was gone after 1-2 passes

8. richy

richy Guest

I'd be very careful using it straight. You'll be ok on chrome but watch dwell time on painted wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

This has been a great informative thread as it has changed my approach to cleaning wheels/tires when using a particular product. Guess that 5L Sonax i recently purchased is going to last awhile.

10. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

I think the big thing here to learn from is that every car, every situation is different and different products are/may be needed for each case. This is why IMO there are so many different products, whether it be waxes or wheel cleaners. Not one is a solution for all.

11. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Here is today's pickup:

Attached Files:

12. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

Nice, now don't store it in the house. The smell bleeds through the plastic jug. :giggle:

13. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Has anyone been using Zep citrus on wheels for a prolonged time?

I'm looking at switching because of its cost effectiveness.

14. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Pretty sure you'd be fine as long as you use proper dilutions.

15. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

If by prolonged you mean continuous or regular use, yes I have. For cost effectiveness, it's great, However, you need to reapply a sealant or protection after every wash/use.

16. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

Has anyone tried Bilberry wheel cleaner? It's just recently been brought to my attention, and based on the personal review and opinion of Taryn & Jim @ Autoperfection (anyone else ever order UK specific products from these guys?), I wanted to give it a try. They're sending me a free sample to check it out. Here are a few of their comments:

Granted, they're surely comparing it to the 5 wheel cleaners they offer for sale, I found it interesting how they compared it to CWC.

Does anyone have any experience with it?
    Valet Pro - Bilberry Wheel Cleaner - 1 Litre - From Autoperfection The Online Car Care and Detailing Store

17. richy

richy Guest

Yes, I have. I used it for several years on the painted and chrome (I have 2 sets) of wheels on my FX35 and now started using it on my new MKX since December. No issues, ever.

18. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Thanks. I tend to use a crap load of wheel and tire cleaner so this will significantly reduce my costs.

19. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I like to use autoglym cwc better because it cleans tires better than zep citrus. You need zep purple for tires.

20. richy

richy Guest

I have Citrus for wheels and purple for tires. Still, no shipping costs and buy it locally.