My first professional detail... to be continued

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by pektel, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Well wouldn't that be cheaper than gas anyway?

2. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Something is going terribly wrong if you have that much trouble applying RB OE. I have done my share of tanks with it and never had an issue.

Good luck on finishing the truck. It looks like you are off to a great start.

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Looks like good work so far.
    1Z intensiv paste is picky, but a wet enough pad should help with it. Just follow it up with a nice jeweling polish and you'll be fine.

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Thanks!

About RBOE, It's not an issue if the panel is warm. But I don't have a heated shop. I have a torpedo heater in the garage. So the panel the heater is ointed at gets warm, but the other panels stay relatively cold. The RBOE doesn't want to stay soft on my hands when I'm rubbing a cold panel. The past couple times, I would put my hands in front of the torpedo heater for a couple seconds to heat them up between panels.

5. pektel

Thank you!

I'll give the damp pad a shot. Come to think of it, the first panel turned out nice, after I spritzed the pad with CG's pad conditioner.

The "jeweling polish" is just going to be a mixture of 1Z High gloss polish and 1Z final finish, on a black pad with the PC. The final finish is classified as a glaze, but glaze is a really misleading term. I don't know if it's just a gloss enhancer, or if it has fillers. I'm assuming the former, but I could be wrong.

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Try heating a foam applicator before you put it in the RBs and it works great. The foam holds the heat a lot longer than your hands can. That's the only way I apply it of course I've never liked applying with my bare hands.

7. pektel

So, I didn't get a chance to work on it Saturday, and only got about 4 hours more into it on sunday. Remember that I'm trying to get a technique down with the rotary, so it's going slower than expected. But here's a before and after of a section of the hood:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thats the way to work it...You're doing just fine...Way to go...:thumb:

9. Reflect

Looks pretty good so far man. Man he did a number on that truck. Was the truck dirty or something when he polished it?

10. pektel

I think he ran it through the "touchless" wash, then just went at it. But I could be wrong. I do know that he never spurred the wool pad once :eek:

The important part is I'm getting more than 80% of the bad stuff out. I'm getting everything short of compounding/wet sanding. And for 200 bucks, I think he's getting a hell of a deal.

11. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Try a spritz of water on the foam pad first, it should give you a little more time and help the pad to stay a little cooler. also, check out how much pressure you are using as well.

12. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

did he run over a cat on his way to your garage?

13. pektel

I think a herd of cats ran HIM over on the way there :D

14. pektel

Again, some more before and afters along the way. No LSP yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I'm getting the hang of this Makita!

15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

looking good. vedddy nice.

16. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

It would be a crime to ask for a better result than that, as compared to previously. Nice Job!

17. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

looking great...i would say that you definetly are getting the hang of the makita......cant wait to see the finished product.....

18. pektel

I can't wait either. This seems to be taking forever since I only get a couple or 3 hours at a time to work on it!

19. Reflect

I'm having trouble seeing the difference...j/k. Dude that reflection shot is great, the paint looks awesome. He better be extremely happy by the outcome. Now for that "silence of the lambs" garage thing you got going on in the background... yea we need to work on that. :p:

20. pektel

haha, not my garage. My brother in law's.