Miracle Detail - Wet sanding Mini GP 5-day detail.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Paul Dalton aka Miracle, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

good stuff now we're getting into some proper body work stuff, great video as usual.

2. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

Not trying to knock, but I cant understand why you needed to sand with a machine, the paint didn't look too bad to start, and you can control the the amount of cc removed more accurately when color sanding by hand. Also, not to sure about you're technique with the buffer, I didn't get the way you went at a steady pace for a couple of passes and then quickly over the next area and then back to steady again. Can't see how this would work, care to share your reasons?

3. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Valid questions, but Paul has been detailing for like 17 years - I'd think that he had a good reason to sand and his finished product is as good as you can get unless you sand the whole car. m2c.

PS: the video may not show the true condition of the car.

4. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

You're right, the paint may have been worse than it looked on camera, but I have to say for 17 years experience I didn't like the way he buffed. I may be a new guy to the forum but I myself have over 23 years working with auto paint and bodyshops. For me the speed of the pass should remain constant, it's the speed of the buffer and amount of applied pressure that should be altered to achieve a flawless finish.

5. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I still say that his finishes are flawless.

6. Brynjar

Brynjar Birth of a Detailer

Thats one wicked detail Paul:)
    The CR makes it look oh so stunning..

Is the 3M P3000 disc you're using during the wetsanding, or did you go over with P1000 first? I see that you don't use much lube during the wetsanding, or is it just the video that fools me?
    I have the same 3M sander, and I normally use ONR or 3M controll spray when I do this kind of work..

BTW! Did you wetsand the entire car?

Brynjar

7. Paul Dalton aka Miracle

Paul Dalton aka Miracle DB Pro Supporter

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while.

The roof on the Mini looked ok, but under certain lighting it looked like the moon, so it got wet sanded with 3M 3000 trizact discs, the owner and I were thinking about doing the whole car, but there isn't enough paint really, and above all its a daily car, so not practical to wet sand the whole car , there was plenty on the roof though and this was the worst panel on the car. The reason for sanding with a da is that its a lot quicker than by hand and far more consistent. The video is not the whole length of the buffing, its just a few minutes of it, the roof took about an hour or so to wet sand, machine with two different compounds and final finish. And its 100% under all lighting.

Re; Green and red pad, its a prototype I'm testing.

Kind Regards
    Paul Dalton
    Miracle Detail.