Metabo users...

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Nica, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I wish I had 1 at least, i'm lone ranger most of the time.

2. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

You know what? I used it on the Scion and it wasnt hot at all?
    But mine didnt either until I logged some more hours on it!

Ill report back!

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I only have thermal shutdown when I use 6.5 pads and up. I normally use 5.5 or smaller, in that case it only gets hot.

4. HAN

HAN Birth of a Detailer

would anyone that owns a metabo see a reason to own a Makita instead, due to the overheating issues? I am going to be getting one or the other soon, just want some feedback...

5. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

If you operate the Metabo between 2 and 6, it will run perfect, no problem at all.

6. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Mine is starting to act up more and more as of late. It did on the black lexus as I noted in that thread. After 6 hours of heavy compounding. Then the other day I was using the metabo with ZPC on a 3M blue foam pad. Just a one step polish on my legend. About an hour into the polishing it went into thermal shutdown again. I finished with the hitachi. If the metabo starts doing this often, it will get sent in for warranty.

7. maesal

What speed did you use? Have you applied pressure?

8. gmblack3

1500 with ZPC, pressure for a few passes and then no pressure at 1500 to finish up. Paint was clean from claying using Z6.

9. maesal

My god, it's quite strange...

10. gmblack3

Seemed like it was pretty much fine except for 2 times during a long day of heavy polishing. Not sure what was going on the other day with the easy polishing of my car. It was only 55°f in the garage. I have had it since April and polished 22 cars with it.

11. maesal

I have mine for ~2 years and I polished around 150 cars with it. I only had problems at the beginning because I operated the machine at very low speed and some pressure. Now, I use it at ~1500-1800 rpm and it works superb. Then, I finish around 1000 rpm withouth any pressure.

12. Rydawg

Rydawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Mine also did the same thing when I first got it. When on lower speeds, it is more prone to overheat. On higher speeds it barely does it.

At first when I bought it, I hated it. To me it was like a little toy and too light. But after using it for a long time, I do love it.

My Hitachi is broken again.

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Rydawg, I agree with you on feeling like a toy, when I used Dans's(D&D) it just felt too light . I like the weight of my two B&D buffers and are over 20 years old and never let me down. Maybe with a little more use to get used to the Metabo I might get one, that would be after one of my buffers lets me down.

14. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Use 5.5 pads, a good cord and keep it away from low speeds and you should be good.

I always have a backup!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rydawg

Rydawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I had a lot of old B&D's many years ago and loved them. I still went through 1 a year, but had them under warranty through Grainger and they would just replace them. I put them through a LOT of torture with beat up cars that I used to do.

I love how smooth my Hitachi is, but I hate the issues it has from time to time.

I do love the Metabo now and find it works superb after it is broken in. I love how it distributes even pressure.

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The only problems I have had was getting the cord caught and watching it go across my friends custom paint shop. They have held up from wet sanding and buffing over a couple of thousand show and race cars so I cant complain. I guess I will have to call Phil and get a Metabo and join the club.

17. maesal

This is a nice backup :yippie:
    I used this LC low profile pads this weekend and I liked them. There isn't any problem about using pads with more diameter. I normally use 6" or 6.5" pads like 3M 09550 or Meguiars, or Propel 2. And I also use Propel 1 pads, wich are 7" and everything works perfect.

18. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Nica, what are your thoughts on the Makita? I'm trying to decide which rotary to purchase. Thanks.

19. Nica

Nica Banned

After using the Makita on a few vehicles for paint correction I'm very pleased with the Makita. One positive thing compared to the Metabo is that the Makita will never overheat, it will take a beating and keep on going, specially with large wool pad. Mind you the Metabo overheats if you don't use it properly, example would be using it with large pads, large wool pads.

I personaly wouldn't say I would choose the Makita over the Metabo, I really like the Metabo, it feels so confortable on your hands it's like as though it's an extension of your arms, the Makita is a great tool and once you get the hang of it it's really easy to use. What I'm doing now is that if I get a vehicle with lots of sexy curves I go with the Metabo, but if I get a vehicle with a few curves I'll go with the Makita :shrug: that's just my excuse to have them both :giggle: :giggle:

Hope the feed back helps, but that's just my :2cents: on the machines.

20. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Thanks Nica! That's just the info I'm looking for.

It seems like we all have excuses for our detailing supplies/equipment! :006: