Menzerna VS Meguiars

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by UR2SLO, Mar 4, 2012.

1. UR2SLO

UR2SLO Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks, Yes it my my license plate. I got the G.G Pre Order Kit with 5 different color pads. I got the compounding and sealing portion of what to buy figured out. Just on the Polishing and Finishing stage Im still a bit confused on what to get. Or should I beginner like me just get M105 and M205 and for simplicity? Im not really on a tight budget so don't want people using that as a criteria in their recommendation.

2. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

UR2SLO -

Sounds like you are figuring this all out based on all the awesome feedback you have received.

As has been already said, yes, both Meguiars 105 and 205 would be great to start using and get to learn how to use the machine and see how different pads and product work on the different paints you will be seeing.

You still have to ramp up on the machine; Random Orbitals are kind of noisy and vibrate, but they have the ability to do nice correction work on paint. You might be able to find a lot of videos on You Tube showing people using these machines. This should help, or perhaps you have a friend who is a professional Detailer, has a shop, etc., and he/they can show you how to get started.

You might want to also consider a few claybars for helping prepare the paint for correction too. We can help out with that, let us know..

Polishing and Finishing - how much you need to do this depends on first, how the paint condition is before you start, is it all scratched, full of car wash brush marks, etc., or relatively clear, after you wash it and claybar it and compound it ?

The amount of compounding you do, the pad you use, the product you use, the results you get all will determine what you need to do to Polish and Correct. There is no cut and dried formula, unless you want to set one up for your own desired results.

Sometimes, the paint is already pretty nice, and all you need to do is use a more aggressive pad and a polish to correct it, and then maybe that same polish and a soft pad to really refine it if it needs it and you want to spend the time.

Generally, a finer grade pad with a finer polish will yield finer, clearer results of the paintwork. The Meguiars 205 should be able to handle this just fine. On darker colors, like dark blues, blacks, if you still see compounding and or polishing marks in the paint, then sometimes you might want to use a finer polish still and a finer pad to completely remove everything. Its all up to what you decide the end result is going to be for your particular needs here.

If you are good with a camera and can take some pictures and post them, that always helps us to advise you more accurately too, if you need more help..

This is a great site to learn and see other's work and how it got to that point.

As you have probably already noticed, there is nothing but constructive posts, fun posts, and no flaming or attacking of people and their posts.

A really, really, great guy and his Team own and run this place; he is also an awesome Detailer and runs a great shop in NJ.
    He is also available for advice if you want to PM him. He somehow manages to take care of a huge amount of sites where he has a presence, work in his Detailing Shop, manage a full blown Retail Business for products, and still take care of everyone who needs his attention.
    Hope you might be lucky enough to live close to this place !

Ok, I have to get some sleep, I have 2 back-to-back Full Details on a couple of Bimmers coming starting tomorrow!

You are doing great ! Take care !
    Dan F

3. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

M105
    Power Finish
    Wax
    Sit back and relax, while reading tips on how to wash your car properly so you will not induce nearly as many swirl marks as before.

4. UR2SLO

Thanks, But like I said isn't Power Finish a Finishing Product? You recommended a compound (M105), finish (Power Finish), but no Polishing product if I am reading your replies correct. Isn't it like buying products for step 1 and step 3 but forgetting about step 2. I'd rather get all the products now as I am getting some good prices on them and save on shipping with the more I buy than buying at a later time.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Just call Phil, he'll set you up.

6. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

^ This is the voice of experience speaking, apply the KISS principal as suggested and move forward.

7. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Ken......thy name is patience. As the guy said in a earlier post that he does not have a budget, why not order everything from Phil and be happy................... at some point every compound and polish will be needed.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ken knows his shit......... very solid advice. Phil has been a great resource to me, but he has recommended stuff that I bought and I was debating if i needed it. but once I got it and used it I realize X was no better then Y, but still X was needed to get an idea of how good Y was. get the point? You can throw money all day at this hobby, and if your pockets can afford it have at it because at some point like Bob said you will use or need a polish or compound and its better to have it then not. Ken is trying to save you money and keep it simple.......

9. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I'd say get the following as all paints act differently and having other options is key IMO!

• M105
    • Power Finish
    • M205
    • 106fa
    • PO85RD

M205 may not always finish down as well as PO85RD, but it's fast, VERY easy to use, and it's great median polish on a 3 step job.

Just my $.02

10. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

No, it's a mid-weight polish that finishes incredibly well.

11. UR2SLO

I recently got M105 and M205 in small 8oz bottle as a gift. Anyone care to tell me what pads I should be using on these two products, the most effective way to use them, and speeds. Will I be fine after M205 or would I need to apply another product after?

Thanks

12. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

It depends on the paint. 205 can finish very well on some pains and not so well on others hence the need for another finishing polish or intermediate step altogether.

13. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Guys - 3 step details? really.........
    Get some M105, D300, some MF pads and a PC, But, like someone said, clay first!
    I can do a one step (ok-maybe it's a longer one than just a couple passes) but for the most part, I play with the mix ration of M105 to D300 and I can finish down LSP ready. O- on MF pads, don't use too much, just a few dime size dots. And clean with compressed air after each panel.

I started out with buying too much stuff, rainbow of colored pads and nearly went apesh!p tring to figure it all out. KISS - keep it simple stupid - when I wised up, that's what I realized. Now it's MF pads, maybe a LC orange or white occasionally. And red to apply wax.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

FINALLY, someone else figures it out. :)

15. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Get some Swissvax while you're at it, sooner or later you will be hooked on it..

16. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Oh, now you've done it ! :)

Dan F

17. xyz10

xyz10 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Very true about M205 on dark colors. I was not satisfied 2 years ago when a detailer used M205 to finish.on my car. Looked great indoors but in direct sunlight, you can see another finishing polish was needed. I had to convince the detailer to make another pass with another finishing polish.

18. John Davis

John Davis Virgin Detailer

I want to start detailing, start with my own cars, then move on to a small business after enough experience. What is the final word on compounds and polishes, etc?

Will the PC 7424xp good enough to start with or should I just get a Flex?

I have the proper 2-bucket system for washing, leathique products, and my favorite wheel products.

19. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

I have 3 polishers myself . . . . .Makita Rotary which has been with me since i started detailing about 6 years ago, PCXP and recently just picked up a griots garage da. My suggestion is to get the griots garage as it has so much more power over the PCXP. I tried to bog it down to test it and it just keeps on spinning. Not to mention it has a killer warranty as well.

20. K3RMiTdot

K3RMiTdot DB Forum Supporter

i started with the flex, after a while you get the hang of it. bigger machine then the pc