Menzerna Power Lock sealant- - - Is this safe to use on Suntek Clear Bra?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by isst, Aug 23, 2012.

1. isst

isst Virgin Detailer

Just had a Suntek Clearbra installed on my car and was wondering if Menzerna Power Lock Sealant is safe to use on it. The installer said car wax, Zanio, Meguiars NSX are OK, just try to minimize solvents. Any thoughts? Thx

2. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

No point, applying a sealant (Polymer based) on a latex surfaces won't do much or won't adhere properly and wash off instantly. It's a waste of powerlock. Imo I like powerlock but it dulls the color, a clear bra alone takes away depth as it is... so in combination it will make the bra very noticeable.

3. memnuts

memnuts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Clear bra's are made of PVC for clarity and flexibility. Latex could never be clear it's just not in the chemistry. I don't use powerlock on my clear bra. I use CG's Clear-seal. IIRC it is meant to be used to polish and shine up clear bra's and reduce finger prints

4. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Yeah not latex man. Lol I use power lock on all of the clear bras and it works great. Never had an issue with dulling the clarity of it. In fact it makes it more glossy. Best thing to do with clear bra is to keep after them. Don't let bugs sit on there for too long. Treat it like you would paint( as in keeping it clean) bugs, bird shit, sap etc will all stain it. They sell cleaning agents for the bras that work well. But I usually just use water and soap on customer cars and it cleans right up.
    So to answer your question. Yes you can use a sealant.

5. Swanicyouth

Swanicyouth Two Bucket System Washer

Xpel makes a sealant just for clear bra material. I have it. However, I usually just apply whatever LSP I'm using on the rest of the car. Never had a problem. I think I'm going to go back to using it though since I have it.

6. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

I have the Xpel sealant also and I've used it a few times but I tend to just use what I'm putting on the paint.

7. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Yes powerlock works great on all clear films. No issues to date.

All clearfilm manufactures simply re-lable a paint sealant and specify its for clear bra only.

8. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I'm not sure about other clear film manufacturers, but 3M has a kind of clear coat on it, making it polishable and you can use wax/sealant. Just use whatever you're using on the rest of the car and you'll be fine.

9. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I've used PL on many cars with clear bra's. Works fine. Carry on...

10. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I never use any thing on clear bra's but up to you.

11. The Driver

Always thought it was latex based, either way I don't see the point. It's just a waste of product, it's like spraying windex on the screen an the window...

12. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

I'm currently depleting a case of Plexus that I use on clear film protection.

13. chemgys99

Or not... I applied it to my friends Acura Rsx that had a clear bra on it that was 2 years old. I cleaned it and applied powerlock to it about three months ago and it's still beading up. Not to mentioned it looked almost new again(besides stone chips)
    If you don't like it or don't see a point then that's your opinion. But facts are facts man. If it does actually do something and proven to do something for the clear bras, then it works. Don't give false info or opinions to someone who is asking for an honest answer.

14. The Driver

Your applying a protectant coating on a protectant for the car... Clear bra's do come off after time. I'm not arguing it's just there is really no point. Do you multi-layer wax?

15. chemgys99

You realize some people pay over $500 for some of those clear bras? So yes I would protect it from fading, bird shit, bugs etc. and yes I multi layer wax. 2 coats and has also been proven that you can wax up to 4 coats. Anything after that is a waste of product. Again the guy asked for a factorial answer. Not opinions. So u think its pointless. I enjoy it. Fact is it actually works and protects the bra which is what the guy wanted to know. Lol

16. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

If you don't apply any protectant to the clear bra it will stain from bird crap, get etchings from water spots and fade or oxidize over time.

17. JsDtell

JsDtell Any Rag Vehicle Washer

you can use the xpel wax or the chemical guys one they have for the bras.