Menzerna 85rd vs PO106FA via rotary

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by ModdedMach, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

Hello all.

I have recently made the jump from Griots DA to Flex PE14-2 and i gotta tell you....LOVE the rotary.

Im a big Menzerna fan, my car is black and ive always used SF4500(PO85RD) to finish down after whatever medium polish i used in the previous step, it always left a perfect finish with my DA and- (after getting the Zenith Point technique down) i can comfortably finish my black paint hologram free with 85RD with my Flex.

I plan on picking up Menzerna PF(PS203) for my dedicated medium polish. BUT i was thinking about also getting a bottle of SF4000(PO106FA)- Reason being that, according to menzerna, it finishes the same as SF4500 but has more cut to start (before the abrasives deminish). I also read somewhere that SF4000 and Sf4500 have the same type of abrasive in them but SF4000 just has more.

If SF4000 does, infact, finish as well as SF4500, then i could probably maintain my car with it as a 1 step since my defects are very very light.

What do you rotary veterans think? Will SF4000 diminish enough to finish hologram free like SF4500? I just dont think SF4500 will have enough cut to take out the very light scratches my car has (already been majorly corrected and is maintained well)

Thanks in advance
    ModdedMach

2. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I been using Scholls Concepts S17+ and then S40 for the past year now. I feel this combo cuts faster and leaves a little better finish, at least in my eyes than Menzerna Powerfinish and 85RD did. Glad your liking the PE14-2 man.

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Congrats on getting a Rotary and taking the time to learn how to use it !

I will always use Rotary Power because for me it is fast, efficient, and used properly, there are no swirls, no holograms, etc., just perfectly clear paint finished at whatever level you desire using your choice of product to its full capacity.

That said, just keep this in mind - any product you pick is always going to work better/best with a machine that works it to its fullest capacity. That is all there is to it.

I personally like PO106FA when I want a little more cut and it has always been able to perform that way for me. I use it all the time.

As you get more experience with your Flex ( and I have that machine as well), it will just get better and better. I like to go between that Flex and my Makita 9227C when I want a little extra weight to help speed up the process on a really hammered paintjob. But certainly the Flex you have is very capable and certainly lighter and much more maneuverable around those curvy areas, etc., like the back end of any vehicle for example.. Especially when used with 3"-4" pads...

Good luck !
    Dan F

4. ModdedMach

My paint likes Menzerna man! Plus i get a sweet deal on Menzerna from the place i buy it from. But thanks for the advice, and the flex lol. I almost thought about selling it and stickin with the GG, but after a few hours of rotary polishing, using a GG is like holding onto a mini jackhammer lol. Plus the control in tight spaces with the flex is insane.

I DO do paying jobs, but lately ive been trying to calm down a bit and focus on my own car. I may hold off on PO106FA, for now, just because ill probably 2 step my car this next time anyway and 203s will be the first step, which can be followed with 85RD. But in the future ill probably get a bottle of 106FA for spot maintenance.

Ive already seen myself getting better with the rotary, its like the more time you have to get used to it the easier it gets. The first time i use it, i had a little sling, holograms of course. Now its like i was meant for this machine! I bought it from Danny^ and he hooked me up big time, i got the flex, 3m perfect it 5" BP, 3" Gloss-it BP, and about 9 PFW pad in assorted sizes. So im ready for anything lol. The most my car will need is probably FG400 or S203 on a green uber pad. I absolutely love this machine, and as far as the fear of rotaries....meh, its a machine to be respected, not feared.

Thanks for the input guys. Ill probably get 106FA in the future after this correction and play with it some. Love me some menzerna!

Hey Dan, Ive heard mixed information on Powerfinish(S203) containing fillers ect. But i believe menzerna claims it has no fillers, its it just an oily polish? I keep reading about 3-5+ IPA wipedowns to reveal defects still in the paint. Let me know man, thanks!

ModdedMach

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

ModdedMach -

Sounds like you have a great plan going - and like we all say, practice makes perfect ! :)

I have also used the Lake Country Purple Foam Wool pads in all sizes on paint that will not correct otherwise. They are also fabulous on Airplanes..
    On a Rotary, I have found nothing faster that finishes down so nicely as these guys.

Regarding Menzerna PO 203S - I never noticed any fillers in it. I know there are others that say there is, etc., but at the end of the day, someone will always have an opposite view of anything anyone says, right?

So, what I do is try it out for myself, try it out a few times on different vehicles, and make my own determination and go from there.

I have never had to do multiple wipedowns, go crazy with IPA and in fact, I really hate to use anything IPA. I don't think it is good for some paintwork (again, my own opinion), and prefer to use something like Menzerna Top Inspection, or CarPro Eraser..

Yes, either of these products is way more expensive than IPA and distilled water. You just have to personally find out what really works for your specific criteria and balance it with needs vs cost vs ROI..

You're doing great !!!
    Dan F

6. ModdedMach

haha man im trying. Detailing is one of, if not, my biggest passion. its....2am...im on 2 different detailing forums and currently looking for a menzerna garage banner on google lol!

I technically own my own detailing company. All that is left to do is the business license, but as of lately ive contemplated dissolving the LLC and just doing it on the side since i already have a great day job and i dont want detailing to ever become "work" you know? Ive had a couple cars lately that stressed me out and it kind of woke me up, detailing should never do that, cause i love it! lol (It was a Jet black BMW, impossibly soft to work on, completely jacked, impossible client, thats all ill say lol) Its been a couple weeks and im itching to detail something, lol. So I may need a canvas....

I would FOR SURE prefer to use Top inspection or Eraser. But like you said, more expensive. I will probably pick up some TI on my next detailing order. Lots of menzerna stuff on my next order. I wish you could buy Top inspection by the gallon to save money. Ive also heard of using Meguir's Glass cleaner 5:1 to strip polishing oils...? craziness. I need to invent a product that strips oils but is lubricated....

My daily driver (96' Toyota Corolla) needs correction, ive done some test spots and product reviews on it but im ready to correct the whole thing. Im probably going to use FG400 and a PFW pad. The paint is on the soft side so im rather confident that that polish/pad combo via rotary will have the grunt to get most of the nasties out. Itll be a good car to build my rotary skills on.

Thanks for the input on PF, its in the cart. I suspect it will impress as all menzerna products have done for me.

Thanks Dan!

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

FG400/purple foam wool using a rotary on soft paint? A little over kill perhaps?

8. ModdedMach

Paint has severe oxidation, etching, RIDs, swirls, you name it. And plenty of clear to play with. The paint is on the soft side but its not super soft, just a bit softer than average. Its got some defects that will require sanding as well, though i wont go that far, its just my beater lol.

Im really trying to get most of the RIDS without sanding, ill do a test spot prior to doing the entire car, but im pretty sure that combo will work well.

9. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I used SF4000 on a black 70 Plymouth Roadrunner with light oxidation, swirls, RIDS with a white polishing pad and a GG DA. I trtied several different combos and this paint was happy with SF4000 on a LC CCS White. I was very happy with the cut and finish. Topped with Colly 915.

[​IMG]

10. ModdedMach

Love a good musclecar man, how did the polish finish out? Probably decent on a DA, im kinda looking for how it will finish via rotary polisher.

Awesome reflection shot man.

11. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Thanx:thumb: It finished out nicely, lightened up on pressure and speed for last few passes. Don't own a rotary, but figured I would post my experience with SF4000 because you didn't get to many responses to your question.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Depends who's behind the rotary. LOL. SF4000 and SF4500 finishes very good with a finishing foam pad especially on darker paint.

13. ModdedMach

I appreciate the feedback man.

Ive round that SF4500 finishes amazingly well. Like you said, the user of the machine plays a huge roll when it comes to rotary polishing.

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi,
    I would add another question.

I have a DA I think I can use and a big Flex Rotary that is quite new to me. I plan to make my first light correction job on my VW Passat, dark blue metallic, and I don't want to go too deep in my first tries. I have Menz P203s, 85RE5, Scholl S17+ and Meguiars #80 already, and some others like Prima Swirl, EinsZett Hochglanz Politur and Dodo Juice Lime Prime.

Which one should be the best polish to start with rotary polishing? Something to gain the looks but don't hologram or eat too much off the clear coat.

15. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Two important things to do..1st do a test spot, 2nd least aggressive first.

16. ModdedMach

+1 ^^ Test spot for sure. I would start with 203s on a medium/aggressive pad.