1. godoman

    godoman Jedi Nuba

    hey all



    detailed my first 2006 bmw m5. my friend up here has had it for a year and it was badly gashed in the side door by an ex-girl friend. I buffed it out with a wool pad and a gloss it 4 inch backing plate. never realized how rough I had it with the lc backing plates. the gashes and scratches are all gone.



    for my gererosity my friend let me work on the hood of his car and take a shot at all of the spiderwebs. hit them with a wool pad and some "extreme". came out wonderfully ut had light light hazing so I switched over to my pc and used a LC orange pad with gloss it lubricant to keep it going smoothly.



    polished the hood of the car for about an 20 minutes with the pc and was finished. everything was better then he has ever seen the car before. I am going back tommorow to throw some wax on it, he had to run to work.



    as I was putting everything away I pulled my orage pad from the pc and off came the middle of the backing plate. not the whole backing plate, just the middle section where the hook/loop (velcro) part is. it aparently melted while I was using it on the beamer and then glued itself to the back of the orage pad and came off with the pad.



    now I have a great backing plate with no middle section to it.



    have any of you ever experienced this before? the car was outside and some parts of it were in the sun but mostly shaded. never ever had this happen before and I have done alot of cars. this was my first time using the gloss it backing plates. the rotary backing plate was just heaven and so was the pc backing plate until I took off the pad.



    anyways, looking for feedback, let me know
     
  2. flash gordon

    flash gordon Banned

    I've never heard of that, but it sounds Awesome. Got any Pics... :chips:
     
  3. bigpoppa

    bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

    It has happened to me before with a 5.5" LC white pad and a brand new 4" backing plate. I dunno why it happened, I think maybe because I moistened the pad too much with QD and it seeped through the pad, which sorta acted as a superheated glue which tore the middle of the backing plate off. At least that's my theory.
     
  4. godoman

    godoman Jedi Nuba

    now that is a really good point.
    but with the gloss it lubricate it is a tiny little squirt bottle and I only used a few squirts. I thinnk thank might be the reason this happend. it was my first time really trying the lubricant on a car I was working on and really working it in and this happend. never ever happened to me before and during those times I did not use any lubricant, just distilled water.
     
  5. P1et

    P1et Official DB Moderator

    It's happened to me before, you're using a bunk extension cord and it's creating too much heat. Get yourself a nice THICK extension cord and you'll be good.
     
  6. godoman

    godoman Jedi Nuba

    interesting, never heard this before. I use a standard orange extentrion cord that I use to use for yard work. sucks that I melted away my expensive backing plate. need to order more and hope to avoid this in the future.

    do you have any suggestions on which extension cords to use or a link to a store that sells them? want to get a look and see what you mean.

    thanks
     
  7. flash gordon

    flash gordon Banned

  8. P1et

    P1et Official DB Moderator

  9. 911Fanatic

    911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

    I talked to Rich at Gloss-it last night ( the things I do for you guys) and he answered this question on Gloss-it online so I copied his answer from there.....

    Glad you like the Evo backing plate for the rotary and pc. This situation you encountered has happen but very rare. The potential reason for the melting of the velcro loop was due to the extended amount of time you applied heavy pressure when trying to remove the heavy scratches / imperfections.

    The heat generated in the machine transfered down the male thread/bolt into the metal portion of the back of the Evo backing plate. So what is happening is the metal washer is getting very hot (on the backing plate) in return getting the foam and glue hot transferring into the velcro melting the loop and foam pad.

    Im guessing that you own the old 7424 pc which would tend to over heat when applying pressure for a long period of time. When we R&D our Evo PC backing plate we did notice the machine would get very hot when we applied a lot of pressure for a long period of time. When this happen we would allow the machine to cool down for about 15 min before polishing further.

    The new 7424xp has a larger motor and can take a lot more load / pressure when polishing deep imperfections. One thing I did notice betwen the machines is the old 7424 would not spin when heavy pressure was applied, just vibrate the hack out of your hand making it numb. The new 7424xp did not stop spinning with heavy pressure and performs much better then the old polisher.

    In the end if you have to apply that much pressure to remove the imperfections you should switch to a rotary that will generate enough heat to remove the deep imperfections.

    The Evo PC backing plate was not designed for that kinda of heavy pressure for extended amounts of time. If you would like to use the Evo backing plate for this application I would stop polishing when you feel the machine is getting warm/hot.

    We used the 7424 and Evo Pc backing plate all day and night in Reno and did not encounter this problem.

    I hope this helps. But please return the backing plate and we will send out another no charge.
    __________________
     
  10. eyezack87

    eyezack87 Guest

    Hmph, they should have sent their plate to me for testing. I did help with the LC construction in a way...
     
  11. godoman

    godoman Jedi Nuba

    turns out that I used more preasure on the backing plate then it was originally designed for and this is what caused the excess build up of heat on the buffing pad to melt the backing plate.

    just another rookie trying to keep up with the pros learning as he goes....

    thanks all!

    :mounty:
     
  12. Darkstar752

    Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

    Well, since you already got your question answered, I thought I should mention something else. You shouldn't be going from the orange pad right to wax, you should have a finishing polish in between. The orange pad is VERY likely to leave holograms that may not be visible now, but they'll show up in a few weeks. Trust me.
     
  13. godoman

    godoman Jedi Nuba

    what do you suggest I look for then to find and fix this problem? I have not waxed the car yet and in the day light sun there is nothing showing at all we can see. used the combination of orange pad with 106fa to remove any scratches and it worked very well.

    am totally up to suggestions and love to get the input.

    thanks
     
  14. 911Fanatic

    911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

    If you are using the orange pad/106fa combo on a pc you will be fine. I've seen guys using compounding pads with 106FA on a DA or pc with no issues. If you were using a rotary, you would have to follow up with a white or black pad and a finishing polish. Orange pad + rotary = holograms most of the time.
     

Share This Page