Mediocre Polishing

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by yyaman, Sep 16, 2010.

1. swest0223

swest0223 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The problem is the Porter Cable... trust me. I had the same problem with one of my cars... so I got a Makita rotary. You've got to know what your doing, when you use it, but it's the only solution when a PC won't do.

You're using all the right compounds/pads though. :thumb:

2. yyaman

yyaman Two Bucket System Washer

Here are some pics. I hope they are clear. I took them yesterday in the garage with the lights off and just the streamlight headlamp using my Nexus One camera:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. yyaman

Hi Erik,

I have 3 buckets and 3 grit guards. I use the 2 bucket method and also start washing the car from top to bottom. I also use 2 sheep skin mitts, one for the top of the car and one for the bottom.

I didn't have the Streamlight headlamp when I finished polishing, so honestly I don't know if the swirl marks are because of the waterless wash or my 3 step polishing didn't remove them.

4. yyaman

I did an IPA wipedown after each step of polishing. I don't have a rotary as I feel I am not yet ready to use. I worry about burning the paint. I only started using the PC this spring. How does one know that they can start using a rotary?

5. yyaman

I was applying pressure in all 3 steps, a pressure that still allowed the pad to rotate, and I was on speed 6. I was moving slow, but it is relative, maybe not slow enough. I was going up and down and right to left.

6. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

you will have to go back and finish it down.

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looking at how fine the lines are my guess is that its from the waterless wash. I'd take Phil's advice and go over it with a blue or black pad and some finishing polish on the PC. :)

8. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Is it this body style or the previous generation?

[​IMG]