Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Chas, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

So I tried updating to Mozille 3.0 today and my the computer completely froze, couldn't open up any Office stuff for a class presentation, or any other program for that matter. I lost Mozilla, well its on my desktop but wont start up, and now I'm forced back to Explorer temporarily, finally got it up to type this. Is anyone else having this problem with Mozilla or is it just my computer? Dad said he would loan me money for a new computer but I don't wanna be in debt to him, going to have to get a used car and start paying rent within the next 3 months and don't know if its worth it to get something new.

2. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

Here's my main reason for saying Mac. MUCH faster start up and shutdown speeds. More stable, less viruses, more user friendly, smoother, MUCH better customer service than any Dell, HP, Acer.....machine.

3. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

:thumb: Same exact reasons.

4. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I'm running off the newest Macbook right now, and it is sweet. I've had it for about a year now, no crashes, nothing, no viruses. I almost had to laugh at my friend who bought a slightly cheaper Dell laptop that broke about a year in and he had to buy a completely new notebook.

My Dad has had Macs as long as I can remember and there have never been any problems with them, in fact my 4 or 5 year old G5 tower is still running extremely strong, has had very few crashes and no other problems, and is still fast.

I would only get a PC if you want to game, or can't afford a mac. Other than that, I see no reason at all to not get a Mac. :thumb:

5. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

see below for my response......:)

My Killler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wifeys Ranger themed mild build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have tried a mac or two and never really liked the layout plus i have heard some bad stuff about there reliability.....

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I've been using my Mac Book Pro for over a year now and no regrets here, I too read some issues with the Mac's but I haven't had any issues. I'm actually looking at purchasing another Mac Book for the wife, as she's always using mine :shakehead:

To be honest though Mac vs PC comes down to personal preference. In my opinion it's really no different then choosing the best wax, it comes down to personal preference. I will say this, it took me a bit to get used to my Mac..heck my little girl knew more about the Mac then I did :shrug:

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

So from the responses I've been reading, it's really about the operating system and not the hardware... is that correct?

I had great customer service with my Dell XPS M1330 and I would assume Apple has great CS as well. I haven't dove into a Mac since if it's a desktop machine, it's going to be a self-built gaming machine every time. The only time I'll think about investing in a Mac is possibly a laptop.

8. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

Yeah, when I come inot work and kick on the work PC in the morning I start it up, go make coffee since I'm usually the first person in, come back to my desk and the PC is still grinding away. Wait for it to stop, open AutoCAD, go get my coffee, come back and AutoCAD is still opening. LOL

9. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

Yes, the OS is where it's at.

I went to the Apple Store about a year ago and fell in love. LOL I told my buddy, strickly PC guy, and he went on and on about how Apples suck and I' be stupid to buy one. Now I find out he installed Mac OS on his Dell Notebook and is secretly loving it. Bastard! LOL

From what I've been able to tell they have excellent CS. I was reading an article online where a guy had a problem with an old Apple, new one and had the same problem. He sent a letter to Apple about his problems and Jobs personally called him and had a brand new Apple sent to him and told him to keep the old one.

10. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

i agree on the Operating system being the bigger part of whatever you choose......that is what prompted me to build my own this time around....i did not want VISTA....it is terrible and you cant buy a PC from the big manufacturers with it and all the bog companies service is going downhill so i figured i would stick with what i know and build my own with XP.....

11. OC MBZ

OC MBZ Virgin Detailer

I think I gave a few good reasons for my Mac preference, but I'll give you one more...

Most people who have PCs have probably installed and removed a program from time to time. I know that when I had PCs I did and seem to always have remnants left behind that I would have to go through and manually remove which was time consuming and just flat out annoying. With Apple, everything is just so much cleaner and neater. Not only in the OS, but in the machine as well. Have you seen the inside of the Mac Pro? A place for everything and everything in it's place. My anology for the difference would go like this...

If a Mac was cupboard and the programs were glasses, when you install a program you just put the glass in the cupboard on the shelf. When you're done with it you remove the glass from the shelf and take it out of the cupboard. On the other hand, if a PC were the cupboard and you wanted to install a program, it's the equivalent of putting the glass on the shelf and then smashing it with a hammer. When it's time remove it you have search out every shard that you made when you put it in there. You feel me?

After all, how many of you have started a Disk Defrag on a PC that took two weeks? Apples don't even come with such a program. :shrug:

12. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Get a Mac and install Windows to run those programs that can only be run on Windows. I've been reading increasing complaints about Dell customer support. I was a long-time Dell user. I bought Dells for my four children. I switched to Mac two years ago and would never go back. I've been very happy, too, with Apple customer support. A month ago the hard drive on my iMac failed. I easily got through to Apple support and they quickly offered to replace it. A week later I contacted Apple Support to complain about the diminishing capacity of the battery in my Macbook. Again, they quickly offered to send me a new one. I am pleased both with product and support.

13. Hostage1978

Hostage1978 Guest

I made a full switch to Mac in 2001, and have only used their machines since. Unlike a PC, Mac actually has resale value once you decide to upgrade which is something many people overlook.

14. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Ooops, forgot about that one.:thumb:

15. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

So since my last post about Mozilla, my computer completely stopped working, after sitting on the phone with dell for 2 hours I had to re-install windows which was a hassle because I have never backed up any of my files (stupid on my part) so I had to find a hard drive to send everything to, and now I am in the process of putting everything back on. If I didn't have a warranty still on this thing I would have gotten another computer. Also, my power cable stopped working. Maybe I jinxed myself writing this post ahahaha.

16. loudog2

loudog2 Two Bucket System Washer

I feel your pain. My 3 month old Dell computer almost went out the second story window yesterday. Thank god for the warranty.