long lasting tire shine

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Greg Nichols, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

Back on July 4th I came across a product I decided to test. I think this product might have a place as an up charge service. This product is called Tuf-Shine and is a very long lasting tire shine. While testing it I had many clients and others ask me how I kept my tires looking great for so long. This product is like a sealant for tires. It is not a petrol based product, but rather water based. You must remove ALL previous tire shine products for this stuff to adhere; you get a great cleaner with the tire shine that will do the job VERY well.

Let me just say I’m not connected with this company in any way!

I have really tired to test this with many conditions. I did not wash the tires for 2weeks, I took my explorer on 20+ miles of 4x4 trails, and through several days of rainstorms it held up and looked great I even curbed my tires and scraped the shine off, I just did a quick re-apply and it’s very hard to tell. While the shine reduced some, it is very much still there. The only test I have yet to do is can it be topped with other products, but why would you do this??

I have this product on my mother in laws Honda Odyssey, my wife’s Odyssey and both of them are 3 weeks since application and its going great.

After a few more weeks of testing I’m going to “strip” it off and see how easy it is to remove………..why because some might not like the look. Most of the people seem to be willing to pay 20$ for this longer lasting tire shine.

I have taken several photos of the tests, including a video of the wash and wipe down after the 4x4 trail trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are of the wheels after almost a month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While this may not be for you the discerning Blissians, my clients are lining up after my simple tests are done to get this on their tires.

Cheers,
    GREG

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Definitely looks like a promising product Greg, I'll have to try it out myself.

Thanks for sharing Greg! :)

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Interesting product to say the least, so who makes this product? I'd love to give it a go :cheerl:

4. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Looks promising. Where do you get this product? What, did you just call us "Autopians?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

There's a thread on another board talking about long lasting shines being bad for tires. It could be FUD since the person stating it is a product mfg, but who knows.

6. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

looking to pick some up

7. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Found their website. They also have a product called Black Restore for trim which they claim will "will permanently revitalize older, weathered looking surfaces." I have my doubt about that one, but it is worth a try, even if it lasts for a couple of months. Ok, so if anybody else gets this product, please post a review.

8. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

People were doubtful of Black Wow at first too, it's always worth a shot on a guinea pig car.

9. Greg Nichols

LOL I have fixed the Erroneous error.

Good catch!

Cheers,

10. Greg Nichols

it is called tuf-shine. If I posted the actual web site I'm sure that would be taboo, so just google it.

Cheers,

11. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Do you have any experience with the Ultima tire product Greg? If so, how do they compare? Thanks

12. Greg Nichols

Blk45,

I have both versions of Ultima tire and trim shine. The looks are different, and so is the durability. Tuf-Shine easily last longer. I get about 2 weeks on the Ultima and going over a month on the Tuf-Shine.

My opinion is still out on which I would go with on my car after this test. I like the ultima for its looks, deep, rich black. The Tuf-Shine seems to be a bit plastic at times.

Again, I think the real market for this is the daily driver that wants a long lasting shine, not the guy that details out his car weekly. Clients seem to be really eager to pay for the extra cost.

The initial prep is more than just apply, its you need to throughly clean off ALL previous tire shines. They sell a very good product that cleans the tires deeply and preps the surface for a good bond of the tuf-shine. If you don't prep the stuff will not bond to the tires.

Cheers,
    GREG

13. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

interesting

14. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Excellent info. Thanks Greg!

15. Nica

Nica Banned

hmm...:thinking: good point, I'll look it up :peace:

16. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

interesting website and product line

I have emailed them as I have been after a product like this for some time

If they don't reply, I'll give em a call

17. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Bump, really interested in this. Anybody try it or come in contact?

18. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I haven't tried it but it does look good. I kinda forgot about it until now...:shrug:

19. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Yeah, i was browsing through tire shine threads on autopia. Wanted to bump this on here as well. I'm trying to find a dressing that gives a shine like Zaino Z-16, but lasts a bit longer. Preferably close to two weeks.

20. Greg Nichols

I have and am still using it on the tires this winter. What do you want to know about it?

Cheers,
    GREG