Little info sent to me from 3M

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Al-53, Mar 24, 2008.

1. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

Someone should contact 3m UK and ask the same questions and see what the response is?

2. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Excellent info Al and thanks for taking the time to find this out.

3. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

Great info Al!

I just picked up a bottle of UF, 2 recessed blue pads, and 2 recessed grey pads. I can't wait to try it all out.

4. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

who had insisted that they are different?? tsk! tsk! tsk!.. what we would like to know though is the comparisons on the other compounds. What is equivalent to the:

UK = US
    Fine cut compound =
    Fast cut compound =

hopefully they'll also produce here in the US the backing plates.. they are really nicely made.. and the product i think is very good.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I was one of them, but to be honest I still feel that the US version and the UK version of 3M feel different...but could be all my head though lol...perhaps I should give the US verion another go and see how it feels.

As to the comparison with the UK and US, I thought they were the same...I mean Fast cut compount UK = Fast cut compound US? But I could be mistaken.

6. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

In my first post is a toll free phone number..call and ask whats the US equivilent to these products..they will tell you..they are very good people to talk to...and know paint prep...and finishing paint ..your in for a ear full when you call...

The UK versions are made in the US and sent to UK and Europe...since the abrasive factory and chemical division is here...

AL

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I guess that sucks for people who imported the polish. Ah well lesson learned. As for the pads, they could be different, but functionally the same. They both probably give the same results, but they could very well feel a bit different like Carlos said.

UF is good stuff, but as I said many times before, when I used it on a mini, it splattered oil over the plastics/windows.

8. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Did you get product splatter or the "oil" splatter? 3M claims the oil splatter is normal, but I do not get it everytime I use it. :shead:

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, the oil splatter happens once in a wile for me as well but not all the time :shrug: but apperently getting the oil splatter means your using it properly..well according to 3M that is :confused:

10. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

It was oil splatter. Under bright halogens it almost looks like it is light holograms.
    Ya, not going to lie, I dislike having to do so a full wipe down to make sure I didn't leave any oil behind.

11. Rydawg

Rydawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Good post Al.

I'm glad you talked to the right person and knew all the correct info.

It all makes sense now. UK just got Fast cut plus which could be Extra cut 06060 that we have had for years. They had the fast cut which could be Regular compound 06062 that we have had for years also. The 80349 could be the SRC polish that has been out here for years also. I have had it for a year.

Not sure if all these compounds cross reference with the UK versions, but I have been thinking this for a long time.
    Now that we all know the Ultrafina is the same it is a rested case.

Thanks Al!