Leather conditioner?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Mike Lambert, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Mike Lambert

Mike Lambert Birth of a Detailer

Do any of you feel there is a need to put conditioner on the newer leathers? I generally do not on leather that is in good shape. Thanks for your opinions

2. sweetlou

sweetlou Two Bucket System Washer

I condition leather, even if it's brand new. If you wait for leather to look bad to condition it, you're too late IMO

3. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Sweetlou couldn't have said it better. Would you wait until the clearcoat on your vehicle began to fail before you started to polish and protect your paint with an LSP? Hoping you answered this question with a "no," you should apply this same mentality when it comes to leather. It would fall under the phrase "preventative maintenance" and would ensure your leather stays looking at its finest.....

EDIT: in your case (which I assume you detail as a side job or business by your initial post and username), cleaning and protecting leather should be included in some sort of package to the customer and if they choose not have it done, then you simply do not do so.

4. Mike Lambert

Mike Lambert Birth of a Detailer

I was just curios as to the opinion of conditioners on coated leather. I have been using c quartz on leather and it works very well. I do not detail a car without doing the interior as part of the detail.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I don't condition coated leather. Based on what I've read, conditioners aren't able to get through the coating meaning you just wind up wearing it. On higher end cars, yes, I still condition.

6. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Which conditioner do you use on high end cars?

7. 911Fanatic

My fav cleaner is 4Star Ultimate and for conditioners I like Raceglaze. I have Leatherique and Leather Masters but both smell like chemicals so I rarely use them.

8. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I use Sonax leather conditioner its a two in one.

9. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

So many of todays cars use vinyl, made to replicate leather (leatherette); what are you all using on that, same?

10. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I don't condtion new leather, light cleaning with Megs QID and then a interior sealant, like Ultima Interior Guard Plus.

11. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

yeah, thanks to the info from people on this site I stopped trying to condition my vinyl coated leather. Now if I'd only started frequenting here before I had a shelf full of leather conditioners.

12. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Hey Ken most new cars even higher end cars have treated leather now days so what to do with them?

13. 911Fanatic

With coated leather, just wipe down with a damp cloth after a thorough vacuum to clean all the crud out of the welts. Use a leather cleaner a few times a year. 1Z says their leather care is for coated leather but I'm not sure if it serves any purpose as the coating, theoretically will keep any conditioners from reaching the leather.