Sounds like a no brainer, but anyone see a problem with using cheap junk yard hoods and fenders to practice machining on? I figure they are going to be pretty rough, so if i can get them to come out looking good then all the better.
What's the problem? You can also try some bodyshops in your area that have junk panels. You might be able to score some for free or really cheap.
I've gotten mine at a local body shop that i'm pretty friendly with and he let me have a pick of what pieces I wanted before the guy who comes to collect the scrap swung by. As long as you find a friendly shop and ask politely, i'm sure they wont have an issue with it. I got a hood, fender, and door for free. cant hurt to try a couple different shops
No problem here Just making sure im not overlooking something. Thanks for the tips on the body shops, didn't think of that. Glad i asked!
no problem, i actually stopped by a junk yard and they weren't up for giving any away (hey selling junk parks is their business) so thats when I decided to swing by the body shop.
Good idea, thanks! Ive actually seen a few front bumpers kicking around the ditches around here after the recent ice storm lol...might stop and grab the next one i see.
helps you learn to control the machine, especially on leading edges where you could burn it, also plastic IMO can react different then metal due to it flexing sometimes or indentating when using the buffer.
Make sure you get yourself a nice stand to fix the panels to to make sure they are not moving when you practice. Very important that the object being buffed is stationary. Good luck.