Jetseal/Pete's 53

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by ModdedMach, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

Ok need some advice....about 6 weeks ago, i did a full correction on my Mach 1 Mustang, its black. When i was done i pressure washed the car, blow dried, then followed with a towel to get any small droplets left. At this point i did 2 coats of jetseal 109 about 20-30 mins cure time each.

A week later i washed the car, dried, applied 1 more layer of jetseal, followed by 1 layer of Pete's 53 Carnuba Wax.

That day and for the first week my car looked SUPER wet, very glossy, very deep, and the beading was ridiculously tight. But after the first wash i saw a noticable drop off in water repulsion. Im about 6 weeks out now and my LSP is there, but not as strong as i think it should be...

Here are my thoughts and questions:

Im using Chemical Guys Maxisuds 2 soap as my maintenance wash soap. at 1oz per gallon- I think this is the biggest problem, the bottle says 1 cap full per gallon which is probably a third or half of an ounce. And it was after the first wash that i saw the biggest drop in beading tightness. Another thought i had was doing a full IPA wipedown prior to pressure washing may have been a good idea to remove oils and such from the freshly polished paint. And lastly, ive seen reviews where Pete's 53 lasted 4-6 months on its own without a sealant, is it possible that pete's has a hard time bonding to jetseal and thus is wearing out prematurely? Its a pretty popular combo and others have had such good luck with it so i wouldnt think so.

I just need some advice on soap dilution or any personal experience that would help out, in a few days im going to strip the LSP, polish with Menzerna 85rd to make sure all the LSP is out of the pores(i dont need clay, my paint is still very very slick), do a full IPA wipedown and apply either jetseal and pete's again or just pete's. And knock my soap ratio down to the Chem Guys suggested dilution.

Any suggestions are welcome, im just trying to get this to last as long as it should, Jetseal and Pete's should last 6 months easy.

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I used some petes 53 on a buddies R32 and it is still going strong and that was like 2 months ago, Jetseal is known not to last that long but I dont see that causing an issue.

Do you have any other soaps? I am a big fan of CG daily wash, its a much more mild then maxi sudz.

but its not hard to top off with another coat of wax either, but I can see how the whole ordeal is frustrating.

3. ModdedMach

well i love maxisuds, i just think im using way to strong of a dilution, i use a foam lance to foam my car @ 2oz per 1000ml, i dont think that is effecting it, but after i handwashed it the beading went downhill.

And as far as reapplication goes, i kinda want a perfectly clean surface, but my paint is quite soft, so rather than clay, since my paint isnt dirty, ill just polish off the LSP with some final polish, im thinking about just doing Pete's 53 alone, 2 coats, apply the first one, buff off, let sit over night, then do the second coat next day.

Ill definitely check into the CG daily wash, i just got Maxisuds cause its awesome with the foam lance.

I got jetseal free with an order a while back, my cars shine was rediculous and petes made it even better, i think ill leave the jetseal out this time.

Im going to get Wolfs hardbody when it comes out anyway, but im a wax whore, cant beat the look of a carnuba, plus a drive a muscle car, something about a V8 american car goes with paste wax lol.

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, a little goes a long way......... Im a big fan of maxi sudz as well. but it is far more aggressive then some other products I have.

5. ModdedMach

Ive got citrus daily wash added to my cart already, lol. Its got the same "Suds 2" super sudsy technology as MS2.

Ill be ordering it in the next couple days, they say on there website that MS2 isnt supposed to strip wax, ill do a test spot on my car, polish it down to clear, IPA wipedown, wash, wax, then wash with MS2 at 1 cap per gallon to see if I can go ahead and do my whole car, I will be changing to citrus daily from Ms2 if i like the 16oz bottle. Heck for 8 bucks @ 4000:1 ratio it should last a while.

I wish i didnt live so damn far away from Cali. Takes a week to get anything from CG.

Thanks for the suggestion. I really do love Cgs wax, Ive never seen beading so uniform and perfect as i did on petes

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Durability always depends on your climate, if the vehicle is garaged, how often washed, topped off with qd. You cannot expect it to last 6 months if its a daily driver sitting outside in a hot sun, as carnauba wax melts off on a hot surface, especially if its black. And as far as jetseal, let me tell you its NOT a super duper durality sealant, but more rather a magnifying glaze, with 1 month durability on its own. So, if you are looking to get 6 months from this combo - you can if its a weekend driver always garaged. Otherwise you will have hard time squeezing so much out of this combo. If you are looking for durability, why not try Collinite 845, it will have no problem lasting you 6 months. Don't believe me? Do a side by side durability test for yourself. It will outlast ANY chemical guys lsp's, wheather its a sealant or a wax.

7. ModdedMach

Theyre was a guy on here who did a comparison on a hood of like 6 different waxes, 2 were cg and 2 out of the strongest 3 were cg, i believe collonite was one of the 6. This isnt my permanent LSP, i plan on Going with either wolfs bodywrap or hardbody nano coating tward the end of summer. I have heard alot of good things about Collinite waxes for sure.

As for LSP, my car is my daily driver, but it gets parked in a garage over night, ive gotten 3 months out of Megs NXT before in the same conditions, i feel like a premium carnuba polymer wax like Petes 53 should last a good 3 months. Monday im going to do a strip with Dawn and polish with 85RD to clean the surface of any remaining LSP. Do a full IPA and reapply. This time washing weekly with a hell of a lot less soap in my wash water. See if i get better results.

Either way she goes, i plan on getting hardbody before the summer is up. And nothing has the durability of nano lol.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I've got Maxi Suds and use 1oz per 3-4 gallons of water and even at that dilution, it still foams like crazy.

9. ModdedMach

That sounds more like what the CG instructions recommend, im not sure why i upped it so much, re-applying monday after a gentle cleaning polish and IPA wipedown.