Jeff's Werstatt

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by bryansbestwax, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

AJT looks awesome on white. Its shiny, but not too shiny. I find it gives it a warm glow at the same time. Two coats will last 4 months. We'll be waiting for pics.

2. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'm staggered. It really does work!

Yesterday. I noticed a large enough scratch in the S2000 that I decided to hit it with the Makita this afternoon. So I did a quick polish of the entire hood, using Menz. IP on the scratch with a yellow Meguiar's Solo pad, and PO85RD on the rest of the hood with the Meg's black pad.

Protected the hood with AJT. It's brainlessly easy to apply and looks great.

Then I washed the whole car, mostly to get the powdery mess from even that little bit of Menz. IP off the windshield cowling. So just an excuse to wash it basically.:laughing: Couldn't help noticing the great beading that the AJT'd hood was showing off. Once I had the whole car washed and dried, I wnet over the whole car with AJT, let it sit 30 minutes, and hit it with another coat.

The ease of use is just fantastic. I ran out of daylight just as I was finishing, but initially, my impressions are that it looks "glassy" - very shiny, but certainly lacking the warmth and depth-of-flake of my prized RBOE. So I'll likely top it with some Carnauba Jett, or if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll top it with some RBOE tonight.

I can easily see me using AJT a LOT. I'm already wishing it was available by the gallon!

3. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

Also verrry interested in products. Calgary Group Buy!?

4. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

sale going on now...

5. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Thanx for the push :thud:

Product ID: PA-0500
    Product Name: Prime: Acrylic, 500 mL
    Quantity: 1
    Unit Price: 21.95
    --------------------------
    Product ID: AJT-0500
    Product Name: Acrylic Jett: Trigger
    Unit Price: 14.95
    Product ID: AG-0500
    Product Name: Acrylic Glos, 500 mL
    Unit Price: 7.95
    Product ID: JSP-0500
    Product Name: Satin Prot, 500 mL
    Unit Price: 12.95
    Order Total : 57.80
    Shipping : 29.95
    Discounts : 11.56
    Grand Total : 76.19

6. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

You won't be disappointed. I'm really in love with this stuff!

I topped the AJT with some of their Carnauba Jett last night, and the car looks great. The detail spray (Carnauba Gloss) also seems very promising. Nice spray bottles too.

I found my best results by basically following the directions on the bottle. Spray onto the surface, and spread around with a nice MF towel until it goes clear. With the Carnauba Jett, I found that I needed to go back around the car one last time, under the halogen lights, and buff off any spots that I found that I hadn't buffed off entirely, but that was certainly easy enough.

I've got my first "for hire" detail this weekend - a "barn find" 1999 BMW that needs a lot of reconditioning. It'll be a fun project - I'm confident that I can really wow the customer and make his $500 car look more like an $8000 car. AJT topped with CJT will be my LSP of choice for this one, no question.

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

29.95 for shipping? What's that about?

8. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Welcome to Canada lol

9. Brent

Brent Birth of a Detailer

Wow. You Canadians need to beg Jeff to open a warehouse on the other side of the border. Sorry to hear that.

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Just a very minor update. I had AJT down and finished on a Dodge Ram mega cab - a HUGE vehicle - in something like 20 minutes. It is seriously easy. Definitely one of my new favorites - I even shot them a thank you note.

I do have one concern with it though, and that's the size of the bottle. They only offer it (currently) 500mL bottles. I can tell that I'm going to be using a lot of this stuff, and at $15/bottle, it's going to get expensive. It'd be nice if they offered it in bulk quantities. Their customer service told me they were thinking about it, so there is hope.

11. 911Fanatic

Glad you like the Jeffs. If you apply it sparingly, one or two sprays per panel, the bottle will last quite a while. Keep using the same MF to apply it and keep a second for buffing once the first gets too wet. This way by the time you get half way around the car, you won't be using as much as the MF will be saturated. I would not advise using MF like the cookie monster or a 530 for application as they will soak up too much product and thats wasteful. Use a mf with a shorter nap for application. Keep the fluffy ones for buffing.

12. Brent

Brent Birth of a Detailer

I agree. With the right mf and technique, you don't need a lot of JW AJT.

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

This is great advice - thank you very much for sharing that.

14. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

To those that have used the AJT, can one put something underneath it, specifically Dodo Lime Prime Lite, or Lusso revitalizing creme? or should I reserve those for nuba only applications? I realize that Prime can go under it, just wondering if I can use something thats already in my arsenal.

15. Bigpikle

Bigpikle Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've only used this over Prime, but have spoken with people that have topped wax with it successfully. LPL isnt too heavy on oils etc so may well be OK....only 1 way to find out ;)

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

OK, here's a followup question.

Yesterday (Dec. 23), I did a maintenance wash, and once dry, I went over the car with Carnauba Glos, Werkstat's detail spray. I followed their directions precisely.

What I'm left with is paint that's sticky to the touch. Like it's got unbuffed wax all over. I've buffed and buffed, but still it's the same. I even went back over the same spot with some one-off detail spray that I use - something that the guy won't tell me where he gets it - which usually leaves a panel smooth like a mirror. The stickiness persists. So, I'm left with two questions:

1. Anyone experienced this?
    2. Is there a fix?

I think what I may try is another maintenance wash to attempt to rid the car of this stickiness. If that doesn't do it, I may be left with a Dawn wash, or worse, having to clay the entire thing.

Very peculiar, this Carnauba Glos detail spray. Seems very fussy to properly use.

17. 911Fanatic

That is peculiar kr, I don't use the carnauba a lot but it is what I use on my own car. I switch between wiping down with carnauba jett and carnauba gloss as I find the jett takes as much time and gives an added layer of protection. If I get a chance over the next few days I'll try mine out again and post my findings for you. My only question would be did you apply it in a warm garage or was it cool out. The carnauba products do take a while to flash off, even in warm weather. If it was cool out it may affect the product.

18. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Thank you 911. Now that you mention it, it was pretty chilly when I put it on yesterday. So, from what you're saying, it hadn't flashed yet when I went to wipe it down. This makes sense. But either way, if you get a free moment, I'd appreciate learning what you find if you try the same basic procedure.

So...what to do to "fix" it? At the moment, no amount of followup buffing seems to make it right.

My gut tells me to re-wash it with my mild car wash, and see if it's better. If that doesn't fix it, go to Dawn, and if that still doesn't do it (which it should)...clay it. Sigh...

Well, if it comes to that, JL kindly gave me some Riccardo clay to try.

I too will post my findings in the next few days, in this same thread.

19. 911Fanatic

I would think that just washing it with your normal shampoo would clean any residue off. After you wash it, put one or two sprays on half the hood. Wipe it with one microfibre until it starts to go off ( dry ) then use a new, dry microfibre to buff with. It may have been that when you applied it, it was cool enough for condensation to form so the surface of the car would never really dry. If you can see your breath, wait until it warms up. I've only ever applied mine when it was warm out so I've never encountered this. Like I said, I'll play with mine a bit later this week, inside and outside and see what happens.

20. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

I just used prime followed by 2 coats of acrylic jet trigger. This is my favorite lsp better than mystery or ezyme in my opinion as far as looks goes.