Is My Pricing on Point?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Tire Shredder, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

Hi guys, this is my first stab at making auto detailing a source of income. I have no professional experience, so I'm taking a guess at how long things will take me. I've tried to price things at a reasonable level to local shops around me, and I think my lower two packages are good, but I'm unsure how long or how much I should charge for things like correction and carpet work.

I will be 100% mobile detailer. I'm just trying to break into the market...there's no way I can jump right into high-end cars like many of you guys are and charge high amounts...I just don't have the experience for it. I do, however have the basic tools and attention to detail to the make this a success. I'm a 22 yr old university student, and will be doing this for a summer job.

My clientel will be middle-to upper class, I must keep my prices reasonable. You won't see details on any ferraris from me, Some german cars and a corvette or two is more likely. Please have a look over what I am thinking round now. I do NOT have an extractor and ken from autowerkes suggest I stay away from shampooing, but the first two customers I have want their carpet cleaned. I'm hoping I can get the job done with some cleaners, my vac and steamer.

as ken suggests, I just plan on advertising the wash/vac and protection packages to entice people to get add-ons.

My correction package involves a 1-stage only using some powergloss and my Porter cable. I don't have the equipment for anything more serious than that.

are my time and dollar estimates reasonable? what do you guys think?

Wash/ Vacuum Package - $55 Car $75 SUV (2hrs)
    This is a great wash and maintenance package. It lays the groundwork for all other work.
    - toucless foam pre-wash
    - hand wash exterior of vehicle
    - clean inner fenders
    - detail tires and wheels
    - dry vehicle and wipe clean all sills
    - clean all glass inside and out
    - vacuum interior including trunk/cargo area
    - wipe all interior surfaces
    - dress tires

Wash and Protect - $110 (4-5hrs)
    Price includes wash and vac services.
    - Previous wax/sealant removal
    - Paint contamination removal (clay bar)
    - Painted sealed or waxed.
    - Hinges and doorjambs detailed
    - Wheels Clayed
    - wheel sealant applied
    - exhaust tips polished
    - shampoo floor mats

Correction Package - $180 (10hrs)
    price includes wash and protect services.
    - 1 stage Polish to remove paint defects
    - paint cleanse and preparation

Interior Shampoo - $40 Car 55 SUV (2hrs)
    - Mandatory to include wash and vac package at minimum.
    - thorough carpet shampoo and dirt extraction
    - Seats cleaned

Leather Treatment -$30 (1hr)
    - All Leather Steam Cleaned
    - Leather treated.

Engine Detail - $40 (1.5hrs)
    - Engine degreased and cleaned
    - Engine Plastics treated

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Quick question, do you know what you are doing?

3. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

Am I on the level of many people on this forum? no. not even close. I figure i've got to start somewhere.

I've won three show and shine's with my car, with the toronto supra club in the "mk2" class, if that means anything.

My intro thread shows my car, and the quality of work I am capable of. It can be seen here:
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/now-youre-here/11122-new-supra-owner-lots-pics.htm

one of the co-worker interior jobs I did can be seen here. I did it last summer:
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/show-shine/11126-2003-envoy.htm

and the products I have purchased to make my life easier can be found here
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/detailing-collection/17687-start-up-products.htm

4. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

Your packages are weird, IMO.
    Dont have set prices either. What if a car was COMPLETELY, like you cant even see the paint, covered in mud and the interior had soil all inside it. All that for $55? Price your stuff depending on condition and size of the vehicle.

5. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

I dont mess with Set prices, that could be bad newsssss

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

If you can turn out good work, the next question is "What is my time worth?"

7. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

i suppose this is the question of the day. How much should my time be worth? and ontop of that, how well am I estimating the time that these jobs take? how much do you guys think it should be worth?

I'm fully capable of engaging my OCD into high gear and spending multiple days on a vehicle. However, people with that kind of expendable income simply aren't in my area of business, and even if they were, I am not an established body yet with a reputation. I can't command large amounts of money... yet. People around here want a quality job at a reasonable price, so I need to taylor things towards that market.

Of course, I'd like to offer by-the hour services if the customer requests it, but I expect request like that to be few and far between. I was hoping the packages would create some interest due to their pricing, and customers could have confidence in what they are spending instead of being afraid of me saying "it takes as long as it takes". I think I need to have the customer's trust before I can start billing them in that manner.

Of Course, I'd like to make as much money as possible but I'm putting a high importance on gaining a customer base quickly, and I think this is the best way to build confidence and referrals. The way I see it, need to build happy, confident customers willing to give referrals as quickly as possible.

Is my thinking logical? I'd love to hear more feedback from everybody.

blackout, can you elaborate on what makes them weird? suggestions?

8. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Just a few prices I charge:

Interiors start at $75.

Headlight Correction $50

Wash/clay/wax start @ $100 (no wheel sealant and most cars are not gonna have wax so no lsp strip)

now these prices are based on small/midsize cars. bigger vehicles are more.

9. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

plus your demographic can affect pricing as well. country bumkins usually arent gonna have that kida dough so maybe it will be less.

ritzier areas/car lovers/collectors is where you can pull in the dough.

10. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

I think your prices are insanely cheap. However you can always raise them as you get more experience and you are probably going to make more money than a crappy part time job. The joy of working at something you love will also make everything worth it in the end.

11. spartan

spartan Virgin Detailer

They seem a little on the low side. I like the basic packages idea, but use your prices as "starting at prices". Many of the products you are using are very expensive. Figure you might use $35-50 of product per car, and your time should be valued at anywhere from $25-50/hr. I understand you have to start somewhere, but what happens to your regular clients after a year when your skills grow and polish job is now $350? Many might not take well to it. I've done a few cars, and I'm also far from the skill level of many people on this board, but for a 2 step polish/lsp I've charged $350 (35/hr over 10 hours). Just my thoughts, if you have confidence in yourself, don't be shy!

12. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

pricing always seems to get to me sometimes. One thing i have learned is to never have set prices. I make it a point to almost always go and see the car to give a face to face estimate. If i can't see the vehicle then i usually give a very broad range say for example it can be any where from $200-$400 depending on condition of the vehicle.

If you want to have some what of set prices like that make sure to include

Starting @ $55 for small cars or something that puts a little bit of restriction on the price so people don't try and get you to detail their H2 Hummer for $55.

Just my opinion. Nice supra btw.

13. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

180 for 10 hours of work, you would be better off getting a paper route,

14. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

what do you suggest?

I've breaking my back laying interlock brick and doing home renovations the past three summers for less than that. This would be a nice change.

Things can be different when I'm my own boss.

That's the purpose of this thread, to get feedback on what I should be charging so please, elaborate. Keep in mind the target market, though.

15. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I understand you are trying to maintain a pricepoint to attract customers, but if you go too low you are not only potentially losing credibility due to abnormally low prices but you are also underselling yourself.

I would set the 10 hour job at $250-300 depending on the size of the vehicle. This will still undercut established detailers but will although give you a much better return for your labor.

16. detailjohn

detailjohn Detailers Advertising Scheme

I thought your prices looked reasonable, until I saw you're selling a 10 hour service paint correction for $180. If you're getting started, and are just offering a single stage machine polish, don't advertise 10 hours, because you should be able to knock that out in 4 hours including the interior detail. If you're doing a multi stage polish, 10 hours can be easily spent, and I would charge a heck of a lot more. There are tons of people who can perform a single stage machine polish, but when you get into the multi stage, is when the amateurs start leaving swirls all over the place. Best of luck.

John

17. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

I was thinking it may take that long including all the prep work, washing, clay et.c

this is all some great information everybody, I appreciate it.

18. spartan

spartan Virgin Detailer

Judging from the amazing job you did on that Supra, I think your attention to detail and skills are very very good! Don't sell yourself short, start around $25/hr for polish/correction work. Try selling to some of the higher end clients you never know!

19. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

thanks for the compliment!

I really like this plan, If the customer wants a higher level finish, he can get it, so long as I clearly communicate everything to them. I can feel confident in taking the extra time to take a few extra passes where needed, and the customer can feel confident in the level of work I put into it, instead of a "cookie cutter"(useless) package that they'll get at a car dealership.

20. spartan

spartan Virgin Detailer

No prob!

Go on a car by car basis. People don't realize the work that goes into detailing. Good luck!!