IPA dilutions and paint drying, some tips...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by dsms, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Bumparoo for my question.

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Yes both CC and SS as it negativly affects the binder system allowing sorption through the surface fisures (pores)

Sorption [: refers to the action of absorption or adsorption;

Absorption is the incorporation of a substance in one state into another of a different state (e.g. liquids being absorbed by a solid or gases being absorbed by a liquid).

Adsorption is the physical adherence or bonding of ions and molecules onto the surface of another phase (e.g. reagents adsorbed to solid catalyst surface)]

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I always use 1:1 IPA for the reasons (heat) stated, but I'd never considered chilled water- its a thought

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Kyle, I honestly have no idea, lol.

5. Reflect

Seems like someone's got a test to do then, eh?

6. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

It will remove most of it, that I know. I use DI water to remove the bulk of the polishing residue while working. I still need to follow with IPA to fully remove the polishing oils.

7. Reflect

I meant more along the lines of how the panel will look after is it sprayed with water as it'll compact faster due to the temperature of the water.

8. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

Not sure what you mean? I remove the bulk of the oil with chilled DI water and have found after compounding that it does not remove all of the oil. It does not enhance the look of the finish if thats what your thinking.

9. Reflect

To make the panel cool down more rapidly, kinda like how you can get a wax to cure faster by spraying distilled cold water on it, might give a better finish.

10. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

With a wax that is surely a true statement. A wax adds something to the finish. However when you have fully corrected a panel thats what it looks like no matter what. Chilled water is not going to make your clear coat look any different.