I need help..

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by er1k, Apr 21, 2008.

1. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

I have been looking and searching around for polishes and I can't seem to find one that is what I need. All I really want right now is a basic polish. Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

What do you mean by basic polish?

3. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Well I keep on seeing like all these polishes with different intenses, if that makes sense..

In other words, what is a good polisher for a beginner?

4. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Still being a beginner myself, and having read about polishing for quite a few months before trying my hand at actually correcting, knowing what the condition of the paint you're working on before is the first step.

Once you know that, you'll be able to understand better the "different intenses" or cuts of the various polishes that all the veteran polishers reference and describe.

For a beginner, I'd imagine some people would suggest Poorboy's SSR line or Pinnacle's XMT line and a PC7424. But there are many others that I'm not aware of. As a beginner, I'm jumped in using a Flex 3401 and Menzerna after only using my UDM to apply waxes and sealants. I've read about some beginners saying the heck with it and buying a rotary straight up.

FYI, I experienced the gumming/balling up of SIP yesterday that I've read about many times on this forum but was able to adjust right away.

How about some more detailed questions from you?

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Polish for a beginner huh...mmmm...well you can't go wrong with Menzerna, it breaks down quite fast and best of all it produces incredable results.

As to what to choose, I find Menzerna Intensive Polish to be quite the versatile product, it can take care of just about anything.

To be honest though there are lots of great products out there, Optimum is good, it just has a long working time, 3M is great as well. My go to products are Menzerna and 3M, 3M being my back up.

Hope this helps.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Regardless of being a beginner or someone that has alot of time into this I feel there really isnt a beginner polish. I would get Menzerna Sip and 106FF or 85RD, 3M extra cut and Ultrfina, and Meguiars M105 as far as polishes go. Anyone of those three would be a very good choice. If you need help with working with these polishes there are several people on here that can help you out if you run into any problems so you should be just fine. As far as Poorboys or XMT polishes they are sub-par at best, if you are going to spend money in a polish you might as well get one of the top tier polishes because that is were 90% of your finish is going to come from.

7. haper

haper Birth of a Detailer

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you explain how you adjusted and the result.

8. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I agree with Nica about Menzerna Intensive Polish. It's usually my go to polish for light to medium swirled cars. I can usually get it to break down LSP ready as well with my Flex 3401.

9. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Hehe, it was simple actually. I could actually read all the posts in my head, as if I could hear all the DB members telling me it's time to swap pads cuz the distilled water spritz wasn't working anymore. It's almost as if the whole forum was smackin me upside the head.

So I just swapped to a new pad and remembered NOT to use too much product, work slower and on a smaller area.

10. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Would have to agree with this 100%

11. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Thank you all for your responses! This has helped me alot! I think I am going to go with Menzerna Intesive Polish.

12. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

For the beginner, regardless of hand or machine application, I would rather recommend einszett Paint Polish 'Lack Politur' (16,9 fl oz)

and just focus on process ....

Menz can be forgiving & unforgiving at time.
    Get the process down 1st....

13. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Sorry for bringing back a semi-old thread but I didn't want to make another new thread. Now I have another question..

When I first started in the detailing business I didn't do much research. My nextdoor neighbor collects cars and has had a few of his cars featured in Griot's Garage catalogues. So when I mentioned detailing he recommended Griot's and being a car nut he is I followed his words ordered many products from them, including a random orbital. Now that I am getting more serious into detailing I feel that the orbital isn't the right tool for me. Any suggestions on a different starter polisher?

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Next step would be a rotary, and it is not as hard to use as people make it out to be.

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Well there are several polishers you can go with, you could start with the PC but if your going to go that route why not just go with the Flex DA. I've only tried the flex once and that was enough for me...I'm used to the rotary so the Flex DA is taking a step backwards so I didn't like it.....any who the Flex is a good stool and plenty of power too.

If you feel your up to it, step up to the rotary and that's a whole different ball game. Many to choose from but my personal favorites are Metabo and Makita, I have them both and use them both.

To be honest there is nothing difficult about a rotary, it's quite easy...you just need to pay close attetion to what your doing and continue moving the rotary like you would a PC (DA).

Well hope this helps.

16. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

It does help me, thank you. I don't think I am quite ready yet for a rotary, so the Flex DA does seem in the ballpark for me. Now this might be a noob question, but unless I completely use the Flex wrong is there any chance I can burn through the paint? Also, does anyone have a link to a site that sells this Flex?

17. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

You can actually burn the paint with any machine if not paying attention, its not the tool its the user.

18. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Yes I understand that. I guess a better question may be, will I need a paint thickness gauge for the Flex DA?

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Well, it is not a bad idea, I have gotten away without one for over 20 years but I will be getting one very soon from Phil @Detailersdomain.

20. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Thank you for your help with this.

I have been searching online but can't find the Flex DA..:help: