How to steam the interior of a vehicle

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Nica, Dec 14, 2008.

1. razr007

razr007 Banned

Steamer in the shower sounds kinda steamy:lol2::lol2::lol2:

2. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Thanks for the video. I have a few questions.

1. Is it safe to use on leather?

2. Do you use a protectant or anything like 1z cockpit or just steam and dry?

3. Have you tried using it to clean glass?

4. How much did you pay for that steamer?

Thanks!

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Answers:

1. Yes, it's incredably safe to use steam on leather, infact I've found it to do a much thorough job compared to my old method. My old method was using hot water with a microfiber towel and leather cleaner. The steam heats the leather up and it seems to release dirt much, much easier. In fact, with the steam I no longer need to use a leather cleaner..but I still do anyways.
    2. Yes, after I steam all the vynil aeas I protectect it with Symol Vinyl (it's one of my favorite). The video was done to simply show how I use the steamer on interiors.
    3. Clean glass, yes. It works well, it leaves enough steam/moisture that I just grab my glass micro fiber towel and wipe the glass...but I still use a glas product to clense...but that's just my personal taste, it's really not necesary but I still do it.
    4. This particular steamer retails for around $2,700.00 or so. Not a very cheap steamer, but worth every single penny if you ask me. In a matter of time this steamer will pay for it's self, because it truly has minimized on the amount of chemicals I require.

4. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Although I agree that they are great investments, it will take you a looonnng time to save $2700 in chemicals! :D

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Well not as long as you think, I mean I use P21S Total Auto Wash, P21S Gel, Leather Cleaners, Meg's APC...ect..ect..ect..I hardly need to use these chemicals any more and both P21S products are not very cheap, I enjoy using them but with the steamer the P21S products will last me a significant amount. It all depends on the chemicals you currently use, the other way of looking at it is, when you detail you take all those chemicals in to account so you charge accordingly..well with out having to replace those chemicals on a regular basis now that becomes profit in your pocket. Not only that but the time you save when using the steamer, it all adds up. From a business perspective, every single penny saved and time saved is valuable...but I don't really see it as a business perspective, I just think it's cool using this machine :cheerl: The fact it saves time and money is just a bonus :thumb:

6. razr007

razr007 Banned

I agree with nica i too have same steamer an i do alot of private details an have paid for the steamer twice already. i mean private details as in i do not advertise or have a retail shop all word of mouth not bad. so if you got a retail shop the money you save on chemicals alone would pay for the steamer.

7. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

how much is said or similar steamer? Because that's the most popular question I get. If I can cut down on the use of Megs APC i'd love to use it.

8. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

9. grease

grease Birth of a Detailer

I go through 10+L of P21s every extended summer, and quite a few bottles of the Leatherique twins, plus gallons of APC. Im certainly going to look at getting a steamer!

10. Nica

Nica Banned

You'll be pleased with the steamer, I know I am :cheerl:

11. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Great video, thnx!

Now I'm interested in trying at home.
    Are they any good inexpensive alternatives for a hobbyist steam cleaning at home?

I've seen portable steam cleaners for carpets but I don't think they're the same.

Thanks.

12. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

i was wondering the same thing

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I purchased a small steamer for my wife to steam clothes and I tried to steam some leather seats and it did okay...took a little longer but it got the job done, I didn't try to steam carpets I'm sure it could get it done...it would just take time that's all.

The biggest difference is the temperature and the pressure, the steamer I use has a range of pressure and a variable temperature gauge.

I honestly had no clue how useful a steamer could be...it's like the CR units, till you try it and see the benefits for your self you wont know what your missing.

14. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

alright im going to order one of these $100 steamers when i get a chance. i'll report back with the results

15. Bigpikle

Bigpikle Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have a cheap domestic steamer, and while it has its drawbacks, for a enthusiast detailer it is invaluable IMHO. Interiors I'm still learning, but carpets, seats, door jambs, engine bays, wheels and arches (excellent :)), the list goes on...

One tip though Carlos, is that I find it much more effective to do small areas and then wipe. If anyone is worried about the steam itself then just wrap a MF around the nozzle and steam 'through' the MF as it steams and cleans in 1 step.

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Let us know how you make out with it :peace:

:nod: steam partnered up with a microfiber towel works like a charm, I use this on leather, floor mats and carpet and it works incredibly well. Thank you for the tip :peace:

17. greased

greased Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Just a word of warning to people using steam.

From recent experience (luckily, on a cheap DD), steam can be quite damaging to headliner, apparently the glue that keeps it stuck to the roof doesn't work well with steam... :) :yikes:

18. richy

richy Guest

I stay completely away from headliners...Jon, TOGWT, has a great post somewhere here on headliners and all the associated dangers...

19. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I can't figure out how to clean carpets with just steam... But I spray them with steam when the chemical is soaking in.

20. richy

richy Guest

My unit is a steamer/extractor/vacuum all in one so I can steam an area with steam alone, dab it with a terry towel to remove the stain. If it's really set in, then I'll hit it with Folex and then extract and then steam with the vacuum on as the last step. Stains are usually gone and the carpeting is so clean it actually feels soft to the touch. there are lots of vids on steam cleaning on youtube.