how to get Riccardo Clay in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

Nica-- I guess that's where the 2nd virus notice came from ... What's the deal with a virus on DetailPlus?

2. Dandrop

Dandrop Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I actually found some erazer clay in a mom and pop hardware store. They were just gathering dust. I bought them and they work great, super pliable and doesn't crumble. I also noticed that the erazer did not marr the surface as much as the current production clays. I love this stuff.

I guess i got really lucky. :woo:

Attached Files:

3. eShine

eShine Guest

Welcome to Detailing Bliss :D

4. Dandrop

Dandrop Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks! I've been lurking for a while and i am still absorbing a lot of great info!

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Good find there Dandrop :applause: I was going to say "you'll love the clay" but you already said that :giggle: :giggle:

6. Wendell inc.

Wendell inc. Birth of a Detailer

is this riccardo clay THAT good?

7. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

in one word.. yes

8. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Sweet find Dandrop!

9. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: yes sir, it's a great clay :mounty:

10. Wendell inc.

I guess i dont fully understand the dilemma of getting it here. Why doesnt the person with the patent for the ricardo clay use it in the US? And if someone already has the US patent... why dont they use it?

11. eShine

eShine Guest

Riccardo is a name we gave this clay and we hold no patents. The problem is The Auto Wax company USA holds a patent on clay bars in the USA so ANY claybar sold in the USA HAS to be manufactured by them, Riccardo is not. Riccardo clay is the popular "Yellow Clay" that was sold under brand names such as Erazer and many other private labels, Zaino, Smart-Clay, Pinnacle etc. Once the manufacturer got sued by Auto Wax Company the mentioned companies all had to switch over to Auto Wax Company products and the Manufacturer of our clay was no longer able to sell in the USA. It is still made in the USA but not sold there. It is not the end of the world, there are many other decent clays out there, many users liked the "Yellow Clay" and felt it was the best on the market, being in Canada we were not forced to stop selling it.

12. Wendell inc.

Couldnt you settle with them and tell them they get half the prophet of the clay bars sold in the USA? Thats what ide try to do. That way, they dont have to do anything for the money and its just more prophet for you since you cant sell over here anyway.

just an idea...

13. eShine

eShine Guest

A. I do not manufacture the clay, so I have absolutely nothing to offer.
    B. Why would they selltle when they currently have 100% of the market and every single clay bar sold in the USA comes from them?
    C. We are a Canadian company that sells in Canada so selling Claybars to the USA is the least of our concern, We sell boatloads as it is in Canada ;)

14. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

[​IMG]

15. budman3

Wendell - read up:
    Auto Magic News

July 5, 2005 - July 25, 2001. This isn't a small deal. Auto Magic sued millions and nearly put these people out of business. The thing is, they didn't even invent detailing clay!

Personally, I could care less who made my detailing products as long as they are quality products. The thing is, Auto Magic's clay isn't good! It would be one thing if they sold a quality product. This is not a quality product:
    [​IMG]

This is good clay:
    [​IMG]

16. ggk

ggk Jedi Nuba

lol
    couldnt we just say it is a monopoly and sue them to allow other companies to make them?

17. Wendell inc.

what happened with your blue clay is what happened to my zymol clay... during its 1st use... i thought it was because i wasnt using enouph lube... was a right?

18. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

What makes thie Riccardo clay so good?

19. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Basically, it's an entirely different Clay formula. More Elastic material, not Plastic like the ClayMagic type. TOWGT I think has the technical info, I'm too lazy to check my database.

20. budman3

That's what greeted me right out of the box. I opened it up and tried kneading it. Nothing else touched it except my hands. I find that these clays need the perfect amount of lube and a lot of heat to perform properly. If not, it's a mess.

Take a look at my pictures above. Auto Magic (blue) clays vs. Elastic yellow (Riccardo clay). If you want a clay that will not break apart or be like a crayon, the Riccardo is your best friend. Mind you they both remove contamination just fine, its just the yellow clays are much easier to use and IMO will last longer, depending on the amount of junk in it. It won't break apart in other words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.