how to get Riccardo Clay in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

That's not entirely true. The patent talks about a plasticy material (the clay) removing contamination from coated surfaces (paint). However! Last time I checked Glass is NOT a coated surface, so an Erazer type clay can be made for this purpose only. And a Glass clay is perfectly fine to use on paint and it doesn't infringe on the patent unless it says it is intended for paint usage. I believe Dust to Glory has used the Diamondite Glass Clay (looks identical to Pnnacle's poly clay before the patent crap) and said it to be very similar to Riccardo.... so us Americans can still get the good yellow clay and not import it in from Canada or elsewhere...

2. eShine

eShine Guest

Riccardo Clay comes from one manufacturer in the USA. This one manufacturer can not sell his products in the USA period, it may be yellow..... But it is not the same clay. Again, not saying other clays are not any good but the clay we sell is not similar to the old "Good yellow clay" it IS that clay.

3. budman3

Allright, maybe he isn't selling it to Diamondite... they may have stocked up on older bars and switched the sticker from Pinnacle to Diamondite? These two clays are identical as seen in the pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe they use a different supplier than you but I am fairly sure that this clay is not made by Auto Magic. I have used a variety of clays from AM products and all seemed to be similar- hard and crumby. I've used clays from Kucala and the Diamondite clay is very similar to theirs- nice and elastic, stretchy and very easy to work with. And again the patent only talks about coated surfaces, not about glass. I don't see how there could be infringement for making a 'plasticy' product to remove contamination from glass.

Here's a link to the patent (US Patent #5,727,993 which AM sued Kucala):
    Plastic flexible grinding stone - Google Patents

And quote from Abstract:
    "The plastic flexible grinding stone according to the present invention comprises a plastic flexible material having mixed therewith a powder synthetic detergent and an abrasive such as silica sand and calcium carbonate composed of grains from 3 to 50 .mu.m in diameter, and is capable of removing simultaneously minute protrusions and stain from coated surfaces such as of rolling stocks. "

I guess the only thing that matters is a safe and easy way to get pliable, stretchy, elastic clay in the US is to buy some Diamonidte Glasswork Cleansing Clay...

4. eShine

eShine Guest

It is hard to tell if the clay is the same. I know AWC will make custom formulations for each customer. I should get a Yellow Glass clay and see if it is a loophole. If it is there will be a sudden new Riccardo Product, "Riccardo, anything but coated surface clay". I'll dig a bit deeper.

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

How long are the bars good for before they go hard?

6. eShine

eShine Guest

I have samples we received before we decided to carry them and they are still soft/flexible. It is about 2 yrs old.

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Are they just being stored in the standard container or have you taken additional precautions to prolong the life?

8. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

I still have some from when they were still sold 2 years ago. They have been opened, and are still soft and pliable.

I while back, while going through my supplies, I ran into 2 bars of it that must have slipped my mind. I am now on my last piece.
    Think I will have to try out that glass clay and see how it compares.

Hey Dust, you still have some?

9. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

Please try it out and let us know if it's the same or similar... I haven't used the yellow clay that everyone speaks so highly of and would love to buy some of it.

10. budman3

I did some more reading and from the Google patent I found nothing that talked about glass and it basically only talked about coated surfaces...

However, in this link- a copy of the original patent I guess (still from google), on page 3, the end of the second paragraph it says "surface of window glasses":
    Plastic flexible grinding stone - Google Patents

So there goes my theory I guess. I wouldn't mind AM producing clay if they actually made quality clay ..... but to gang up on the others making superior clay and virtually destrying their company and lives is bad -- especailly when they don't even have the rights of invention -- the Chinese came up with the invention many years ago- so they shouldn't even have a patent. Who would have thought there would be this much fuss about detailing clay?

Also, at the Mobile Tech Expo, Detail Plus had some of their clay for sale ... it was yellow and elastic :)... but not found on their site... hmm

11. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

I will have to travel down to portland and check him out.

12. budman3

Here is a link to what I think might be the clay- Detail Plus Shopping Cart - CLAY PLUS LAVENDER
    It says that it is lavender though ... but the one at the Expo definitely was the 'good yellow clay' identical to the one in the pic in the link.

13. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

I have a few friends from some other countrys that took care of me......:giggle:

14. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

Did you get any of that clay at the expo??? If so, how do you like it??

15. budman3

No I didn't. I have 7 bars of the yellow clay on hand so I'm good for a while. I could tell by holding the clay that it is the good stuff and all Erazer clay is the same, IMO, great :). I'm not sure why Detail Plus would have it at the show but list a different colored clay online. If you can get your hands on any Erazer clay whether it is Riccardo, Smart Clay, Stuf clay (the ones I have- not sure if any is left), Erazer, etc. overseas, treat yourself and get some. I have only heard about 1 person not liking the yellow clay and that was because they were a lifetime clay magic user.

16. Netspec

Netspec Virgin Detailer

Same here!!

17. Black Diamond

Black Diamond Jedi Nuba

I just clicked the the link and this is what i got!

Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan
    Event: Virus Found!
    Virus name: Downloader
    File: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\cache4\opr0KMAO.JS
    Computer: BLUEDRAGON
    User: Administrator
    Action taken: Quarantine succeeded : Access denied
    Date found: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:24:15 PM

Very interesting!

18. eShine

eShine Guest

I got the same thing.

New slogan for Riccardo Clay...

"Riccardo Clay, it won't give you a virus."

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter