How long does it take you to detail?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by TheRustySuper, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Brentwood Bandit

Brentwood Bandit Virgin Detailer

Took me three days to detail my GTO, but then again that was before GTO nationals and I won my class so it was worth it. :)

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

It takes us about 8-10 hours to do a 1-2 step paint detail ($45-60 per hour) so depending on location / skill level / /reputation, to transform your vehicle back to ‘like-new condition’. A Professional using high quality products may spend over $50 in product use alone; so expect to pay a fair price for the amount of work involved.

3. draft

draft Virgin Detailer

I'm pretty noob so a wash, clay, cut polish, glaze ans sealant took me roughly 15 hrs

4. Old School1980

Old School1980 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I get the cars from HELL !!! LOL :gross:

5. CU2MIKE

CU2MIKE Guest

the less money you pay me, the faster I'll do it, and the shittier the "after polish clean up" will be.
    I've done a job in as fast as 3 1/2 hours (wash, dry, clay only necessary parts on the car, single stage polish which got out about 80% of the defects, wax). I got paid $120 for it.

6. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

Typically a full detail (no paint correction) consists of interior cleaning/dressing, vacuuming inside and trunk, windows in and out, wash, clay, wax, tires cleaning/dressing, door jambs cleaned, etc.

Typically takes me between 4-5 hours and I depending on the car and how bad it is I charge any where from 130-150.

7. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

did a soccor moms suburban but thats a whole other story. couldnt move the next day after that interior who knew gummi bears liquified with steam ugh:gross:

8. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

You mention being a teenager or 16yr old a few times in this thread, focusing on the negative sterotype of it all. I would encourage you to realize that you can mask your age with how professional you decide to act when detailing or interacting with your customers. The more they think about your professionalism and results achieved, the more they will be willing to pay and the less they will worry about how old you are. If you enter the interaction already focusing on 'only' being 'a 16yr old' that is going to come across to your customers as lack of confidence, and that is never good.
    OK, stepping off of my soap box now, hth.

Just a side thought, but have you put together any photos of your work? Before and after type stuff? If you have that handy when talking to a potential customer, that could really help to show them.

Good luck!

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Unless you are using Crystal Rock or something more expensive as your LSP, your material costs should not exceed 5-10% of the value of the package you are doing.

10. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

...if I were you I would see if maybe you can save enough money or maybe as a gift, your parents will pay for you to get training. You could even work for a quality shop and learn that way. You can learn on the job, but on the job learning isn't recommended when you're using other peoples vehicles. but being that you are so young, there's a good chance you havn't established bad habits yet, thus you can learn the correct way easier and quicker. Its MUCH easier to fill an empty glass then one thats half full already.

11. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I know this is late to respond, but to the OP:

a "basic" detail, which is basically what I call my "winter prep" involves, but not limited to:
    -Cleaning the wheels and sealing them + dressing tires(I remove the wheels to clean the entire thing if it's a mag and not just a steelie + hub cap) (~1 hour)
    -Standard wash of the car (~20 minutes)
    -Degreasing wash of the car (~20 minutes)
    -Clay bar (Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour)
    -Waxing (Collinite 845) (~30 minutes)

So I'd say your time is pretty much spot on if you're doing what I do. If you're doing less, then your time is fine just as it is anyways. No two people detail the same way, so no two people will take the same amount of time. The best thing is to make sure you're doing what you're doing RIGHT, and with time, you will get faster. Just make sure that you don't get faster by cutting corners.

12. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Thanks for the responses! Since the detailing season is winding down I've learned a lot, and detailed 19 cars! (Of those, 8 were minivans and 5 of those were Honda Odysseys) Most everything I detailed was really filthy. I made the mistake of having set pricing and having that set too low. So I'd get a filthy disgusting minivan but only made $55. Next year I'm gonna start doing things differently. I'll give a rough estimate on my email that I send out, but say that the final price will be set upon inspection of the vehicle, based on size and condition.

I will also include claying as part of my wax package, it doesn't take that long and I really hate waxing a car without claying it...it just doesn't turn out as nice as I think that it could. My parents talked me out of that this year but next year I'm gonna try it out. Most of my cars were "soccer mom" runabouts, and I learned the things they really noticed...clean dashboards, windows, and seats. Sometime when I'm really bored this winter I'll start a nice long thread on what I've learned over this year, what I plan to change, and a bunch of questions I will inevitably have by that point.

Thanks for all the tips!

Clark

13. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Full detail, in and out including engine,4 days. I'm old and take a lot of breaks.
    Mercury Marauder, three step polish, two layers BFWD topped with Wet Obsession.

14. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

For an exterior wash, wheel and tire cleaning/dressing, clay bar/wax or sealant, interior vacuum, engine cleaning/dressing, and window cleaning, I am going to start out charging $150. I am hoping to do all of that in roughly 3.5 hours. I like taking my time and doing it right.

Exterior foam-10 mins
    Exterior hand wash-20 mins
    blow/hand dry-20 mins
    clay bar-1 hour
    sealant/wax-20 mins
    removal-20 mins
    engine detail-20 mins
    interior vac-30 mins
    window cleaning-20 mins

Now, I hope to be making roughly $35/hour for my details. I am looking forward on doing my first "customer" car. He is actually one of my supervisors and drives a 2008 silver Honda Civic. Its in good shape. I am going to try and convince him to let me keep for car for 8 hours and do a nice 1 step. I am not a huge fan of claying and not polishing to be honest. If the clay leaves marring, they more than likely won't notice, but I would feel more comfortable doing a 1 step.

15. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Some of the AIO products on the market can remove claybar marring, depending on the technique/clay grade/paint color. Autoglym SRP is pretty good, I just picked it up.

16. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

I was thinking about picking some SRP up at the Pepboys just for kicks and grins. However, I think I am going to pick up some Powergloss instead. From what I understand, this is the cream of the srop for AIO and 1 steppers. Man, just think: I should be able to do a 1 step in 7 hours or probably less and charge $250 for it. Hopefully that is the case!

I am getting some Scholl product from JL that is suppose to be very similar to PG however so I may see how I like that instead. But PG and PL sound like a pretty bullet proof combo for a 1 stepper.

17. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I haven't used the SRP yet, as I just received my bottle yesterday.but I do own Powergloss Compound and unless I'm seriously mislead on the SRP, they are VERY far from being the same level of cut.Powergloss is amongst the highest cutting products from the Menzerna line.

18. extrabolts

extrabolts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

To the OP: You need to raise your rates, even if it results in slightly less business. I'd set a cost floor of say $75. As with any business, if you do a good job, treat your customers professionally, and offer to fix any complaints for free, your business will grow by word of mouth. Here is the problem: if you charge a friend or family member $50 for a $100 detail, then when they refer you to another person the referral rate will be $50. I learned this in my law practice: if you give a discount to someone, invoice them at the full rate, and then put below that "discounted family" or "discounted friend of the family" rate. So you would tell your aunt "I want to be clear that this is a detail that I typically would charge $100 for. However, I'd be happy to do it for you at the rate of $75 (or whatever). My business is mostly word of mouth, so please keep the discount that I am providing you confidential."

This makes everyone happy. First off, everyone likes to get a discount. If you give your customers a discount but don't tell them they are getting one, they won't think they are getting it. So you have to tell them the normal rate and then the discount. It also will allow you to grow your business at a more profitable rate rather than getting stuck in the friend-of-the-family billing system.

Finally, you want flexibility in your budget to explore new products. This does not always mean more expensive products, but just different things people on the forums are recommending. At 16, I have to tell you that detailing is a very good way to earn money over the next 10 years so look to grow the business. You can do it while in college for members of the car club, while working a full time job, whatever. If you still like it after that, it can even be a good career. Detailing is something that I would rather have a younger person with a passion for cars do for me than just dropping my car off to someone who I can't ask about new products, etc. Join your local SCCA and give mini-demonstrations at local autocross events to generate business. If people trust what you are saying, they won't care how old you are.

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

You will become more efficient with your time/ over time...

Just an FYI: I typically spend no less than 3 hours on a full interior detail.

Sent using Tapatalk

20. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

I think you're meaning Power Finish, instead of Powergloss. PG is a heavy cutting compound whereas PF is commonly used as a 1-stepper.